Old Sep 07, 2009, 11:44 PM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickydoo
Nice vid! Way to manage that throttle!!
The flight was actually over 6 minutes. I edited the parts out where my hat wasn't high enough and all you see is sky and hear the F-18 pass by.
Lithonion is offline Find More Posts by Lithonion
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2009, 07:45 AM
Pointy end at the front.
Joined Aug 2009
663 Posts
i finally did some sucessful landings with the fixed gear i made up. I used the stock (but crap) front leg with the steering mechanism but made it sit a lot higher up in the wheel well, strengthened up the area where the old main langing gear wells were with a blue foam / balsa vertical sandwich, some thin ply plates backed by a half inch square section of some hard wood from the hobby store. the wheels are now close to where they would be on a real one, with the main wheels moved foreward a bit to help it get off the ground. i fly from a grass strip so i put bigger main wheels, which made it look more scale anyway. it actually doesnt look out of place even flying with gear down.

plus i finally got over the natural tendancy for me to simply hang it off the prop at stall speed for a tail dragger 3 point landing which comes from 10 years of flying glow powered aerobatic bipes n things.... ha!

You gotta watch it when you put the wheels at a close to scale place, it puts the centerline tank really close to the ground, it partially came off and was sitting at a 45 degree angle creating a MASSIVE yaw condition and made aileron control nearly inneffective plus the massive drag, i nearly lost it! Ill have to leave it off from now on!

however,
I now enjoy my starmax f-18!

Benny
benjo is offline Find More Posts by benjo
Last edited by benjo; Sep 08, 2009 at 07:53 AM.
Old Sep 08, 2009, 08:19 AM
Australia, NSW, Williamtown RAAF
Joined Aug 2008
2,471 Posts
Would love to see some photos of your work Benny.

Cheers,

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjo
i finally did some sucessful landings with the fixed gear i made up. I used the stock (but crap) front leg with the steering mechanism but made it sit a lot higher up in the wheel well, strengthened up the area where the old main langing gear wells were with a blue foam / balsa vertical sandwich, some thin ply plates backed by a half inch square section of some hard wood from the hobby store. the wheels are now close to where they would be on a real one, with the main wheels moved foreward a bit to help it get off the ground. i fly from a grass strip so i put bigger main wheels, which made it look more scale anyway. it actually doesnt look out of place even flying with gear down.

plus i finally got over the natural tendancy for me to simply hang it off the prop at stall speed for a tail dragger 3 point landing which comes from 10 years of flying glow powered aerobatic bipes n things.... ha!

You gotta watch it when you put the wheels at a close to scale place, it puts the centerline tank really close to the ground, it partially came off and was sitting at a 45 degree angle creating a MASSIVE yaw condition and made aileron control nearly inneffective plus the massive drag, i nearly lost it! Ill have to leave it off from now on!

however,
I now enjoy my starmax f-18!

Benny
dro56595@bigpo is online now Find More Posts by dro56595@bigpo
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2009, 10:21 AM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
I was getting a bad yaw effect on mine. I dont recall who told me in here to loose the drop tank, but I took it off and now it tracks straight in the air.

I would have never thought of that, I thought I might have glued one of the stabs off just enough to not be noticed, but to cause the yaw.

I did a flight Demo friday night at a local race track here. Its a 2.5 mile road course and we flew off the straight away. It gave us over 1/3 mile landing strip. It made it so relaxing to fly knowing I had such a large strip, I didn't even notice the few hundred people in the stands watching.

What I enjoyed the most. There was a bobcat turbine there, and everyone was taking pictures of the foamy F-18. Made me feel pretty good sitting next to that turbine.

Here is where we flew. The longest straight was our runway. They are thinking of next summer letting us fly there once a week.
Old Sep 09, 2009, 06:50 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Waldrep
It pops off the ground because the gear are too far back, they are even farther back than the real thing. It makes the ground roll longer than it has to be and on a rough surface could mean you can't get going fast enough to rotate.
Here's a good pic of the gear location on the real thing...
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2009, 07:41 AM
Pointy end at the front.
Joined Aug 2009
663 Posts
A few apologies, firstly for the crap photos. second for my lack of tidying up. I just had to see if it was going to work first before i spend the extra time on it. and it works so ill hopefully have some time to paint my jet as a royal australian air force f-18. I will also be closing in the wheel wells to reduce the drag. If i could make it all again though i would have made it all flush but i didnt really know how i was going to fix it at the time. hope this helps anybody who wants to do a similar conversion. I might even still move the MLG foreward again. it was a bit better but could be way more foreward.

Benny
benjo is offline Find More Posts by benjo
Old Sep 09, 2009, 07:47 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2,471 Posts
Thanks for putting the photos up Benny. No apologies - whatever works is good, and a lick of paint hides a lot of sins

Cheers.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2009, 07:58 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,315 Posts
I had a go of the F18 V2 today running 6S 5000 and it did fly very well.

I was able to land it too nice and smooth. Got heaps of thrust.

The last flight today though the elevator servo stripped in flight and it almost went in. I managed to land it ok.

Do most people replace the elevator servos?
rcpilot23 is offline Find More Posts by rcpilot23
Old Sep 09, 2009, 09:29 AM
Down Under
Joined Aug 2009
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpilot23

The last flight today though the elevator servo stripped in flight and it almost went in. I managed to land it ok.
and what a great save it was... shame there was no video of that one..
jpaus is offline Find More Posts by jpaus
Old Sep 09, 2009, 11:20 AM
Fan-atic
Plain ole KS
Joined Jan 2008
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithonion
I was getting a bad yaw effect on mine. I dont recall who told me in here to loose the drop tank, but I took it off and now it tracks straight in the air.

I would have never thought of that, I thought I might have glued one of the stabs off just enough to not be noticed, but to cause the yaw.
I am having the same issue and had read somewhere way back in the thread of someone removing the drop tank to resolve the yawing. Thanks for the posting your results, ill remove mine if thats the problem.
cray2602 is offline Find More Posts by cray2602
Old Sep 09, 2009, 05:03 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,471 Posts
I'm running metal gear servos on my elevators. No trouble so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpilot23
I had a go of the F18 V2 today running 6S 5000 and it did fly very well.

I was able to land it too nice and smooth. Got heaps of thrust.

Do most people replace the elevator servos?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2009, 12:22 AM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dro56595@bigpo
Here's a good pic of the gear location on the real thing...
As many F-18s I have seen over the years I was in the Navy I never realized how far forward they are. It makes alot more sence why we get the jack in the box take offs with the gear so far aft of the CG.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 02:29 AM
He builds stuff. :)
Canada, AB, Grande Prairie
Joined Sep 2007
1,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithonion
As many F-18s I have seen over the years I was in the Navy I never realized how far forward they are. It makes alot more sence why we get the jack in the box take offs with the gear so far aft of the CG.
I can't stand how the plane pops up like that. After flying my Lander F-16 that literally takes off by itself going back to the F-18 is jarring.
Pepperpete is offline Find More Posts by Pepperpete
Old Sep 10, 2009, 03:43 PM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperpete
I can't stand how the plane pops up like that. After flying my Lander F-16 that literally takes off by itself going back to the F-18 is jarring.
Now if it would just land itself, then we just took all the stress out of model aviation.

Take offs are optional, landings are not.....
Old Sep 10, 2009, 08:29 PM
edf flyer
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Feb 2009
1,192 Posts
Has anyone put two 3s lipos in series in this jet, and what size, mah, c rating did you use
Mannyman535 is offline Find More Posts by Mannyman535