HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2009, 08:56 PM
Fan-atic
Plain ole KS
Joined Jan 2008
1,653 Posts
Well one of my main retract servos completely stripped on mine now. I noticed it was getting a little sluggish and it now totally stripped. Im glad it happened on the bench and not in a must work situation. I was trying to figure out why the front retract servo will not stop buzzing when the rear one went out. The rears look easy to change out but the front one i cant even get my gorilla hand inside to get to, thats gonna be a pain.

Anybody know a metal gear servo that is a drop in replacement for the stockers? Id get ahold of Pete to see about getting a replacement but if im replaceing servos im replaceing with something thats gonna actualy hold up on retracts.
cray2602 is offline Find More Posts by cray2602
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2009, 09:02 PM
The Greater Bay Area
Joined Sep 2008
3,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cray2602
Well one of my main retract servos completely stripped on mine now. I noticed it was getting a little sluggish and it now totally stripped. Im glad it happened on the bench and not in a must work situation. I was trying to figure out why the front retract servo will not stop buzzing when the rear one went out. The rears look easy to change out but the front one i cant even get my gorilla hand inside to get to, thats gonna be a pain.

Anybody know a metal gear servo that is a drop in replacement for the stockers? Id get ahold of Pete to see about getting a replacement but if im replaceing servos im replaceing with something thats gonna actualy hold up on retracts.
Hitec HS65 Metal Gear.
FlyBoyTha1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyBoyTha1
Old May 27, 2009, 11:15 PM
He builds stuff. :)
Canada, AB, Grande Prairie
Joined Sep 2007
1,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoyTha1
Hitec HS65 Metal Gear.
They may drop right in but HS-85MG's fit with absolutely minimal cutting. The exacto knife into the foam to make room for it will make you happier in the long run. And if you really feel sassy (which is what I did) go for the HS-225MG's. Even better and ROCK solid.

I am now running HS-225MG's for all retracts and I am finally (third times the charm...first HS-65's, then 85's and now 225's) satisfied with the results. I wish I had gone with them in the first place as they are the same price as the HS-65's anyhow.
Pepperpete is offline Find More Posts by Pepperpete
Old May 27, 2009, 11:52 PM
Fan-atic
Plain ole KS
Joined Jan 2008
1,653 Posts
Why did you have to replace the servos 3 times? Did you tear up the HS-65's and 85's before going with the 225?
Old May 28, 2009, 01:13 AM
Joined Sep 2007
1,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cray2602
Why did you have to replace the servos 3 times? Did you tear up the HS-65's and 85's before going with the 225?
Nope!

65's where not strong enough to raise the nosewheel once in the air (too much air pressure) so I swapped to the 85's. The 85's did a good job but I decided I wanted to take ALL worry out of that nosegear because I wanted to use a servo slower. The 85 looked like it was struggling just a tiny bit with the servo slower in place. So I swapped to the 225's. Now I can use a servo slower for better scale looks. Although I haven't installed the slower yet but I know without a shadow of a doubt that the 225's will pull them up great.

The gear now goes up with full authority and I never have any buzz at all. You can see the problem with the HS-65 in my video below. Click on the video twice for the larger version

90MM Starmax F 18 Maiden Flight (2 min 36 sec)
Old May 29, 2009, 04:27 PM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
I dont know how many times I have watched that maiden video. Turn up the volume just to hear that fan.

My F18 will be slow going. Its flying season, and the F18 will be my tinkering item to keep my busy when I have absolutly nothing to do.

That and with my jobs cut backs, they cut back my hobby funds. The nerve of some people....
Lithonion is offline Find More Posts by Lithonion
Old May 29, 2009, 06:37 PM
Joined Apr 2009
635 Posts
I decided to wait for the airframe only and load it with some decent servos. The new version has MGs but they're probably still 8 dollar servos and 9 grams at that.

And I'm going to power it with a Midi fan and a Neu 1515 I have laying around gathering dust using 10S likely

I forgot how much fun flying fast stuff can be. I got my old Microjet back together and flew it today with a Neu 650W setup and I feel the need for speed
QueeQueg is offline Find More Posts by QueeQueg
Old May 29, 2009, 11:45 PM
Fan-atic
Plain ole KS
Joined Jan 2008
1,653 Posts
I wish my wife had bought the AF only version for me. Im scared to count up the hours ive spent this week re-engineering everything on this jet that has to be fixed before even attempting a maiden. Just got done with making a new linkage for the nose wheel, the stock idea of a thin piece of wire just looped through the servo horn is a joke. It looks like they just said heck with it, just throw a piece of wire on there and call it good. The retracts are more of an experiment than a well thought out and engineered system. I ran the fan up to 20amps and i had to pull it out to balance, but thats typical of any EDF ive bought so that was expected. And i havent even gotten to adding wing spars yet. I lifted the plane by the wings without the batterys in and the amount of flex is scarey, if it snaps it looks to me like it would snap at the connection between the wing and fuse. And then add up all the extra $ spent on parts just to make this plane work. If the electrics work without failure ill be happy in the end. But if it doesnt im gonna be major Pi**ed off.
Old May 30, 2009, 12:04 AM
Gotta have toys!
La Jolla, CA. USA
Joined May 2006
856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueeQueg
I decided to wait for the airframe only and load it with some decent servos. The new version has MGs but they're probably still 8 dollar servos and 9 grams at that.

And I'm going to power it with a Midi fan and a Neu 1515 I have laying around gathering dust using 10S likely

I forgot how much fun flying fast stuff can be. I got my old Microjet back together and flew it today with a Neu 650W setup and I feel the need for speed
I have a Neu 1515 3D sitting in a drawer. I am interested in your results with this setup. My guess is that on 10S, it will rip the wings off this plane, or any other foam jet. But it will be fun!!!!!
1bwana1 is offline Find More Posts by 1bwana1
Old May 30, 2009, 01:51 AM
Joined Sep 2007
1,767 Posts
Flight Report...

Before I get into this I do have to declare that I like to fly HARD. I am a speed freak of the highest magnitude.

Well today was the 6C maiden using the following power setup. I've flown the plane on 5C about 20 times.

JS1490
Hayoe 7 Blade Fan
6C 3300 MAH battery
150 amp Turnigy ESC
Pulling 80amps at WOT and 1563 Watts

Well the 6C fixed my long takeoff run-up that was causing me grief on our grass runway. I saved over 107 grams of weight going to that battery so she popped into the air nice with the increased thrust. Much better than before. Did one pass to see the speed and it was better on 6C but I was hoping for a bigger jump. Went vertical and again it was better than the 5C but just not the *POP* I was hoping for. And then............ .

As I leveled out at the top of the vertical...I noticed a tiny bit of white smoke and boom motor died. I didn't panic (thinking that my ESC had gone) and tried a reboot (throttle down for two seconds/then throttle back up). No go. Deadstick time. Luckily I was at the TOP of my vertical so a simple lineup and I had her down zero damage.

So what went wrong? ESC was perfectly fine. So was everything else. It was only when I pulled the fan out and looked close that I realized the area that the JS1490 gets secured was MELTED. As in plastic goo. Funny enough the motor was perfectly fine. As the assembly melted, the fans got close to the side until they got jammed, started to burn up and then boom no power. I have to say I am truly impressed that the fan blades didn't explode! In fact the assembly was fine except where the JS1490 mates with the plastic. Now I do understand that if I was flying at half throttle and not balls to the walls (three quarter stick or above) it probably would have been fine.

I was warned by a few members here that the JS1490 is an excellent motor (it truly is) BUT it must have a standoff to prevent this exact situation and now I have to agree fully. At those high watts, having the motor inside the fan assembly (instead of outside but on a standoff like the standard JS1400) on 6C is a recipe for big problems. I know very well that the heat would have been dissipated if it had been in the airflow and not tucked away. It's fine on 5C (I proved that) but 6C proved too much. Now I have to balance another Hayoe (omg I'm having nightmares already)...

This is NOT a bash on the JS1490 as it's a champ. But in it's current configuration with people like me who think anything below 3 quarters throttle is too slow, I would wait for the new version with the standoff. I was lucky I didn't lose my plane. I'll take some pictures of the assembly when I get up tomorrow.
Last edited by Pepperpete; May 30, 2009 at 02:32 AM.
Old May 30, 2009, 07:06 AM
Joined Apr 2009
635 Posts
Great Save!!

Too bad about the fan but thanks for showing that 6S is asking for trouble in the first generation jets.

Does anyone here know of a standoff that is available by itself?
QueeQueg is offline Find More Posts by QueeQueg
Old May 30, 2009, 08:29 AM
Joined Sep 2006
192 Posts
After seen the real product i'm won't worry about retract it's look good but the stifness of the mainwing that's worried me. In the kit there will be a carbon rod for reinfocing the wing those rods are missing in the kit I saw here in Thailand
Dragonus is offline Find More Posts by Dragonus
Old May 30, 2009, 11:01 AM
Joined Sep 2007
1,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueeQueg
Great Save!!

Too bad about the fan but thanks for showing that 6S is asking for trouble in the first generation jets.

Does anyone here know of a standoff that is available by itself?
Eh? That had nothing to do with the jet at all. The fan unit is an aftermarket (didn't come with the plane) and the motor is also aftermarket. So in this case it's not a matter of the jet being deficient in any way at all. It has to do with the motor not having a standoff only.

RCVincent has indicated a Standoff version of the JS1490 is on it's way.
Old May 30, 2009, 01:56 PM
JP
Tennessee
Joined Oct 2003
466 Posts
Pepp,

I am happy for you, you've been able to find out the limits of your original model without destroying it. When all is said and done, you will have a dependable even better, than your original, jet!
veritus is offline Find More Posts by veritus
Old May 30, 2009, 02:57 PM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
Ok, so I have been surfing the net. Like thats something new I do.
I am waiting for someone that is a mad scientist at painting. I like this paint scheme.
Lithonion is offline Find More Posts by Lithonion