HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 25, 2009, 07:04 PM
He builds stuff. :)
Canada, AB, Grande Prairie
Joined Sep 2007
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent
And this plane is better just a bit forward of the recomended CG point I fly mine about 5mm forward
Just to clarify...you mean towards the nose right? So you recommend 95mm then? I just received my 6Cell so I have to redo this.
Pepperpete is offline Find More Posts by Pepperpete
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2009, 07:36 PM
Fan-atic
Plain ole KS
Joined Jan 2008
1,655 Posts
[QUOTE=merlinfan]I got a good deal on a TP 6s 5000 and the plane balances at the forward CG limit with it.QUOTE]

Good to know. I should be fine with a 5s larger than the stock recomendation then.

Im having some problems with my retracts. I can get the nose gear to lock in both directions. But i can only get the rear wheels to lock in down position. With all 3 gears running off of the same TX channel i cant adjust the throw of the front and rear independantly. When the front wheels lock in up position the rear wheels are just a hair short of getting locked. The instructions included are beyond basic. Maybe i will just run the front and rear gear off of seperate channels.
cray2602 is offline Find More Posts by cray2602
Old May 25, 2009, 09:36 PM
Watts Up?
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2006
1,635 Posts
Crazy2602-from what we have learn so far is that yes stock setup can be flown on six. It's pretty fast i believe. BUT there was only one were the stock fan has blown-up. About retracts you will most likly spend more time tinkering with it then any part. I did split mine up to 3 channels and it worked great. THEN after that servos started to give up . O well over all this thing is a great in the SKY! If you feel that you have skipped any of the pages feel free to ask anyone of us. We have a REALLY GREAT GROUP HERE!
jet-ster is offline Find More Posts by jet-ster
Old May 25, 2009, 09:51 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,792 Posts
I have two words for you.

JR Matchbox

No more problems. It lets you adjust each servo's end points independently even when they are all on the same channel. Saves you hours of screwing around. I've never had a gear fold and they make NO buzzing noises up or down because you can adjust them just right.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=JRPA900

It is a tad pricey though. It does work on all servo's (analog or digital).

[QUOTE=cray2602]
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinfan
I got a good deal on a TP 6s 5000 and the plane balances at the forward CG limit with it.QUOTE]

Good to know. I should be fine with a 5s larger than the stock recomendation then.

Im having some problems with my retracts. I can get the nose gear to lock in both directions. But i can only get the rear wheels to lock in down position. With all 3 gears running off of the same TX channel i cant adjust the throw of the front and rear independantly. When the front wheels lock in up position the rear wheels are just a hair short of getting locked. The instructions included are beyond basic. Maybe i will just run the front and rear gear off of seperate channels.
Old May 25, 2009, 10:22 PM
Gotta have toys!
La Jolla, CA. USA
Joined May 2006
856 Posts
You can also use the Smart-Fly Equalizer 3-D. It's smaller, lighter, less expensive, and even easier to use.

http://www.smart-fly.com/Products/Eq...qualizer3d.htm

Both the Smart-Fly and the JR-Matchbox are often available used in the "for sale" forums at really good prices. I highly recommend either.
1bwana1 is offline Find More Posts by 1bwana1
Old May 25, 2009, 11:11 PM
Fan-atic
Plain ole KS
Joined Jan 2008
1,655 Posts
6s capable. Thats what i wanted to hear. A pair of 3s should be easier to match up than a 3s and 2s combined. Thanks for the tips, ill spend some time searching and picking through this thread. Im sure most of this info is probably burried in here somewhere.

Never heard of either of those products, ill look into that. My nose gear retract servo seems to buzz most of the time whether its up, down, or in between. Im wondering if they will last long. I set mine up to move via the flap trim knob on the Tx. I didnt like how fast they retracted using the gear switch, the trim knob allows me to move them at a nice slow speed up or down.
Old May 25, 2009, 11:12 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bwana1
You can also use the Smart-Fly Equalizer 3-D. It's smaller, lighter, less expensive, and even easier to use.

http://www.smart-fly.com/Products/Eq...qualizer3d.htm

Both the Smart-Fly and the JR-Matchbox are often available used in the "for sale" forums at really good prices. I highly recommend either.
Even better! =)
Old May 25, 2009, 11:23 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,792 Posts
Well guys...

I just installed my new 6C 3200 battery. I saved overall 107 grams of weight (not exactly a small amount) and had to move 7 grams to the nose to balance it out after some rearranging of internal component.

And holy hell... I am now getting 1540 watts at 79 Amps!!! Vs 1240 at 70 amps. The plane now holds itself up instead of dropping to the floor. I am so pumped to give this a go.

I have one major concern. I realize I am not in the air which should help but this pack is getting mighty warm even in testing. I've cut out the two oval area's in the main deck (which looks fine) but I am not sure if it's enough for airflow.

Those running 6C, have you had any problems with heat?
Old May 25, 2009, 11:38 PM
Fan-atic
Plain ole KS
Joined Jan 2008
1,655 Posts
If your 3200mah lipo is a 25C then 80amps is the limit for it. You also can only get 2.4 minutes of WOT before the battery is drained to 0% if you pulling about 80amps out of it. But with that much power you wont need to fly at WOT much.
Old May 26, 2009, 12:31 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,792 Posts
I'll just have to be really careful.

It's a HobbyKing Zippy pack rated at 20-30C so I have no idea what it really is.

I am not too worried though as at 3quarter stick it drops down to 50 amps and at half stick it's at 35. So as long as I'm not doing curcuits in full afterburner...I'll probably get a solid 4 minute flight which is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cray2602
If your 3200mah lipo is a 25C then 80amps is the limit for it. You also can only get 2.4 minutes of WOT before the battery is drained to 0% if you pulling about 80amps out of it. But with that much power you wont need to fly at WOT much.
Old May 26, 2009, 12:50 PM
Fan-atic
Plain ole KS
Joined Jan 2008
1,655 Posts
Zippy packs are actually pretty good packs. As good or better than alot of the high $ name brands. Im looking through the HC lipos today to find a combo i can wire up for 6s2p . I hate to spend $100+ on a single 5s or 6s lipo that i can only use on one plane. So i might just buy four 3s1p 2200mah packs and wire them up to make a 4400 6s2p pack. I also dont have a charger that can charge a 5s or 6s pack, so this route might kill two birds with one stone.
Old May 26, 2009, 01:33 PM
edf flyer
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Feb 2009
1,202 Posts
cray2602
Let me know how that works for u. the two lipos wired together.
I was thinking of using a 18.5v 4000mah 15c, I think the 15c is low. though
Mannyman535 is offline Find More Posts by Mannyman535
Old May 26, 2009, 02:15 PM
MYC
Inconceivable!
USA, NY, Smithtown
Joined Jan 2005
1,947 Posts
Guys. You do know you have to be real carefull running two "unmatched" packs in parallel, right? The theory is that if one pack has a cell or two that start at lower voltage than the other cells, when you run the whole "pack" down to LVC, the low cells could be below minimum voltage and well... poof. My workaround when I do this is to make sure not to get near LVC and/or balance charge the packs before each use.
MYC is offline Find More Posts by MYC
Old May 26, 2009, 02:20 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,668 Posts
Hi Pete,
Yes I do mean 95mm or forward
rvincent is offline Find More Posts by rvincent
Old May 26, 2009, 02:22 PM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYC
Guys. You do know you have to be real carefull running two "unmatched" packs in parallel, right? The theory is that if one pack has a cell or two that start at lower voltage than the other cells, when you run the whole "pack" down to LVC, the low cells could be below minimum voltage and well... poof. My workaround when I do this is to make sure not to get near LVC and/or balance charge the packs before each use.
That's when packs are connected in series. When they are ocnnected in parallel the current is distributed between the packs so that they drain at the same rate. Even if two packs of different capacity are used they will always have the same voltage. Such is the nature of a parallel circuit.

Never reach LVC with series packs because unless the packs are matched one pack will probably drain before the other and the first pack that runs out is then damaged.
Lynxman is offline Find More Posts by Lynxman