Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 10, 2008, 12:34 AM
Joined Oct 2008
4 Posts
Discussion
Learning on an EDF

Hello,

I am soon to be new to R/C aircraft, and have been interested in EDF's for a long time. I have never owned and R/C plane, but i do have some real flight experience, and a fairly good understanding of aviation mechanics and principles (i am pursuing an aviation contract with the USMC). I have flown friends' trainers a few times with no problem what so ever, but i think i am finally ready to buy my own plane.

As you can probably figure out, i am pretty set on an EDF, but i have some reservations. I know that they are typically not first aircraft because they take a little bit of skill to fly at even the lowest level, and usually are not quite as stable as a lot of trainers. I am not looking for anything TOO high speed, and am perfectly happy doing really basic stuff at lower than average speeds (for an EDF) until i am proficient at the basics. No matter what i get, i have every intention of getting a simulator with it, and getting proficient on that first. I also have some experienced pilots in my area who have said they would be willing to help me out. I am very patient, and very willing to ease myself into it as much as possible.

I am also a college student. I have no problem spending 200-400 on a RTF or ARF EDF, but i really cannot afford to buy a trainer, and then an EDF later, and EDF's are really what i want to end up flying. That being said, i have two real questions. 1) What are your thoughts, tips, and advice on learning to fly on an EDF? Is it possible? how much more difficult would it be than learning on a traditional plane? and 2) What is a good EDF for what i am looking at? I like the realistic models a lot better, but i don't need something super fast, or super twitchy (in fact, I would prefer to not have that at all).

Thank you so much for your time, look forward to hearing from you
pearcem is offline Find More Posts by pearcem
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2008, 02:21 AM
Model Designer
United Kingdom, England, Burnley
Joined Apr 2001
5,490 Posts
Hello pearcem,

Welcome to the forums.
Learning to fly with a fan-powered trainer is no problem !

However, commercially available ARF and RTF R/C models that are intended to be flown by a 'raw novice' are few.

For that reason - I developed my own series of fan-powered trainers.
See - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125524

My trainerfan idea in it's fifth incarnation... the TF5 - from over five years ago. Yes - some have learnt to fly R/C with the design...

Very stable and easy to fly - and quite aerobatic with reduced dihedral.
Not ARF or RTF, though...

Keven.
keven64 is offline Find More Posts by keven64
Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:14 AM
Effumall
Joined Nov 2005
3,619 Posts
See the foamy forum: All of these are pretty easy to fly, meet your price requirements and look good.

Phase 3 F16
Great Planes L-39
Starmax F/A-18C
Starmax F5
HL F4
HL F-16
Multiplex Twister
kelberts is offline Find More Posts by kelberts
Old Oct 10, 2008, 01:20 PM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,644 Posts
Also - the GWS A-10 or F-15
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk
Old Oct 10, 2008, 02:54 PM
Lowell, MA
Joined Feb 2004
592 Posts
My 2 cents are that flying an RC plane is very different than flying a real plane. For one the dreaded problem of control reversal is not an issue in real flight but a plane killer for people getting started in RC. For beginners self-correcting planes are more suitable than EDF or warbirds that fly fast, have heavy wing loading, and unforgiving flight characteristics. I can understand the desire to conserve money but if you buy a plane that is not suitable you might crash it and have to buy another therefore spending even more money. If you have access to someone who is experienced in EDF and can help you get started it might just work otherwise the chances of success although are not zero they are smaller than my liking.

Using the simulator and working with experienced pilot as you have stated will greatly increase your chances of success. Sometime like a Thunderbird, firebird, or lynx would be great as they are simple, sturdy, and easy to fly.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/electric_jets.htm
flanker is offline Find More Posts by flanker
Old Oct 10, 2008, 05:30 PM
Effumall
Joined Nov 2005
3,619 Posts
Right!

Actually, you probably want to learn to fly a fast wing like a Stryker, Wild Wing, Zagi, etc as prep for an EDF.
kelberts is offline Find More Posts by kelberts
Old Oct 10, 2008, 10:32 PM
Nam AV8TR
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Nov 2005
156 Posts
EDF trainer

Hello from Vegas. I have been pursuing an ideal edf trainer (along with some other requirements)for some time now. If you are not into scale and want the freedom of changing your designs without criticism you might look at the Phase 3 Fantom as it doesn't represent any particular "real" aircraft. The plane is VERY inexpensive, goes together quickly, requires no special reinforcement and is fun to fly. With a blended wing body there is alot of wing area to look at if you get into trouble. I'm the president of the "Vegas Aces" the first AMA chartered park flyers club. You might wonder what the Fantom is doing as a "park flyer". The Fantom flies well from 10mph to 150mph (Youtube "Fantom Twin"...yes that's me) with no tip stalling problems. Park flyer regs require under 60mph. If you have a chance to go through any recent model mags, the AMA has a photo of our club with our aircraft. I'm holding my "modified" fantom, painted yellow base with floresent red topcoat and my grandson is holding my EF2000 painted the same way. I have moved the fins to the wingtips for a more pleasing look. Hobby People has been generous enough to donate 4 of these fantoms to us and they are getting good use in our introductory pilot training days. For a more stable trainer I have cut the wings off and beveled and epoxied the joints to 15 degrees each. It looks good, flys well, and now has a self-righting feature. If you are interested, PM me or email cs2004s@aol.com. for further enlightenment. Best to you.....Sugarbear36
Sugarbear36 is offline Find More Posts by Sugarbear36