Ron
Ron Cichowski is offline Find More Posts by Ron Cichowski
Old Jun 22, 2001, 06:59 PM
Joined Feb 2000
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 2fish:
What kind od hlg should I get?

If you want the best go with a Maple Leaf "Encore". A friend of mine just got his new ARF "Encore" with a T-tail and it unbelievably well built. Everything is perfectly built without any flaws of any kind. It is probably the best thermaling HLG available and also the most expensive. You will probably have to wait some time as well to get one as my friend had to wait quite a while to get his after he placed his order. It is well worth the wait though.
bfraser is offline Find More Posts by bfraser
Old Jun 22, 2001, 07:50 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
It depends on a number of factors. Just for starters:

What you want it for? Competition, something to chuck around the schoolyard on a Sunday afternoon?
What's your skill level? As Bernard mentioned, the Encore is undoubtedly one of the best HLGs available, but all that performance would be totally lost if you're just learning to fly.
What are your local conditions? Do you want a floater or do you need an airplane that can penetrate well?
How much do you want to spend? I think the Encore is around $450.00 right now - and you'll need a good computer radio with Micro gear. On the other hand, DJ Aerotech's Chrysalis is only $50.00, and is a great plane for learning how to fly a HLG.
What's your throwing style ( a relatively new question): Do you want a HLG or a DLG?
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Jun 24, 2001, 10:59 AM
Joined Feb 2000
380 Posts
Quote:
Yes if you are new to HLG you probably wouldn't want to spend the $450.00 on an Encore. The Crysalis is a great plane from what I've heard and doesn't cost very much. Another plane you might consider is the Hobby Lobby "Handy". It is almost ready to cover and does fly quite well even at a weight of around 11 oz with micro equipment. It is quite strong and hard to break and the price of it is I think around $120.00 which isn't too bad. In my opinion it would make a great beginner HLG. In fact it is what my friend flew for a few years before getting his two encores. I had one also before getting a DJ Aerotech Monarch and Wizard. Thanks--Bernard

[This message has been edited by Bernard Fraser (edited 06-24-2001).]
bfraser is offline Find More Posts by bfraser
Old Jun 24, 2001, 11:12 AM
Santa Rosa, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
70 Posts
Hobby Lobby has a new one called a "JIM B". It has a glass fuse and covered wings with a carbon spar for $99. I've got one in stock and it looks pretty good to me.

Later
Red
Hangar One Hobbies
(707) 585-3170
lownverted is offline Find More Posts by lownverted
Old Jun 25, 2001, 09:40 PM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,193 Posts
Quote:
If your going to get into HL gliding you should first get enough experience in trainer gliders to be confident - in other words you should be finished the fly-today-until-you-crash part of learning. Then you should look into finding a discus launch glider. From experience I know how much damage can be done to the shoulder joint from javalin throwing. Discus launching is much easier on your body and you can potentially throw much higher than the old method.
The Goblin looks like a good DLG to start
with although it's more expensive than the Crysallis class of HLG. http://www.blarg.net/~awagner/goblin.htm
If you do decide to buy a javalin HLG,
start with short hand launch sessions (15 minites) and build up to an hour. Use a mini high start to simulate hand launches to fill out your day. Don't throw more than an hour a day and don't throw more than two days in a row. While your learning with a HLG, finding lift and centering in lift is the main goal. Throwing high or perfecting your throw is secondary.

John

[This message has been edited by John Gallagher (edited 06-25-2001).]
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher