Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 07, 2009, 01:02 PM
Kul
Aerodynamics Grad Student
Joined Dec 2007
358 Posts
Is it possible to use the Aiptek camera to record and transmit? Someone mentioned that it was possible with the Webbei and then someone else said that aiptek could do that much better. If so then this is a much better alternative to KX cameras.
Kul is offline Find More Posts by Kul
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2009, 01:10 PM
Tom Para
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Joined May 2003
1,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kul
Is it possible to use the Aiptek camera to record and transmit? .
I had a switch to select which camera to use. I removed it because the VSN 500 had the "better" picture. But the Aiptek will work as you suggested.
Tom in Cincy is online now Find More Posts by Tom in Cincy
Old Oct 07, 2009, 01:15 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in Cincy
...I removed it because the VSN 500 had the "better" picture. ...
Really ? Better in which sense ? After downlink and ground recording still remain enough quality to compare with a 720p recording ?
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Oct 07, 2009, 01:22 PM
Kul
Joined Dec 2007
358 Posts
SN500 is not an HD camera right? You mentioned earlier that Aiptek had problems with handling vibrations. Have you discovered a work around? Which Aiptek model should I start hunting for? I want to build an FPV plane over my winter break so I'm starting to search for bargains on quality hardware.
Old Oct 07, 2009, 01:32 PM
Tom Para
Joined May 2003
1,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA
Really ? Better in which sense ? ?
The composite out of the Aiptek is cropped for 16x9 and the zoom icon cannot be removed. I put the better in quotes because it is a personnel choice. When using the Headplay goggles I prefer the vsn500. The Aiptek HD video is hard to beat for an on board recorder.
Old Oct 07, 2009, 01:41 PM
Kul
Joined Dec 2007
358 Posts
I dont want to buy two cameras. That could get a bit pricy. Do you know if the 16x9 output is standardized on all Aiptek cameras? How big is the zoom icon? If it is small and in the corner then I could learn to ignore it. Are there any important differences between Aiptek Action HD or A+ HD
Last edited by Kul; Oct 07, 2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2009, 02:24 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kul
I wont want to buy two cameras. That could get a bit pricy. Do you know if the 16x9 output is standardized on all Aiptek cameras? How big is the zoom icon? If it is small and in the corner then I could learn to ignore it. Are there any important differences between Aiptek Action HD or A+ HD
No, is not an icon, is a huge slider all along the right side of the screen, and, imo, it is stupid and meaningless for a camera without optical zoom !
The most important difference is that Action HD (Z500 in Europe) allows head detaching without any soldering and special adapters. This is valid only if you are planning to open the camera anyway to make it lighter, else, no difference.
Old Oct 07, 2009, 02:31 PM
Tom Para
Joined May 2003
1,199 Posts
Whatever you want to call it . This is a pretty ruff picture but maybe you can get the idea.
Old Oct 07, 2009, 02:43 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,665 Posts
Hey Wobby.
Nice job, looks good.
A how to thread would be great (HOLLY GRAIL of FPV).lol

Glad to hear from you.
scrape is offline Find More Posts by scrape
Old Oct 07, 2009, 02:59 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,266 Posts
If wobby is busy, this weekend will hack a Z500, doing a lot of pictures.
Probably you want a movie, but I can't promise.
Old Oct 07, 2009, 04:50 PM
Northwest Arkansas
Joined Sep 2008
617 Posts
As far as I can tell my go-hd has the same ribbon connectors as the action hd. Maybe that's why I couldn't figure out what the big problem in this thread was.
arkcom is offline Find More Posts by arkcom
Last edited by arkcom; Oct 13, 2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2009, 06:26 PM
Tom Para
Joined May 2003
1,199 Posts
JUST MY OPINION and off topic drivel

There seems to be many different models of the Aiptek camcorder. Aiptek chooses to use very similar names to distinguish its various cameras which is very confusing . I realize they also carry specific model numbers stamped in small type inside the battery compartment but few people list their cameras this way.
One difference between the assorted HD models is the 720p frame rate. The 60fps rate seems to play smoother during fast pans and may be more desirable.

They appear to use 2 different lens systems and two distinctive types of camcorder enclosures. The Go-Hd, Action Hd, Action Hd GVS, and the HD-Pro have a zoom lens and a narrower field of view. The camera head is also detached and fairly easily extended with a ribbon cable.

The 1080 HD Plus , HD 1080P and HD-1 720p and who knows what else has a fixed lens which has a bit wider field of view. The camera head is not easily extended for pan/ tilt .

I believe all the Aiptek's use a cmos sensor which incorporates a rolling shutter and is susceptible to "waves " in the video. These waves are cause by vibration in the aircraft most likely from the motor and may come and go with various RPM and resonance in the craft.
In my case isolating the motor with vibration dampeners and hard mounting the camera to the fuselage eliminated all the waves.
With the pan and tilt system I am using now I still get waves at certain rpm which can be dealt with.

KUL... I would recommend the 1080P Hd plus. It will work great unmodified for your first set-up.
The recorded video looks really good and the composite output is useable.
I believe all the HD's are 16x9 format on composite output.
I have been paying about $80 or under used/ shipped in the US/ on Ebay ..
Last edited by Tom in Cincy; Oct 07, 2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2009, 08:41 PM
Kul
Joined Dec 2007
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in Cincy

KUL... I would recommend the 1080P Hd plus. It will work great unmodified for your first set-up.
The recorded video looks really good and the composite output is useable.
I believe all the HD's are 16x9 format on composite output.
I have been paying about $80 or under used/ shipped in the US/ on Ebay ..

This will actually be the 2nd FPV plane I will build ( I gave my first to my little brother) but 4th that I will fly. I used the sliders on my 9CAP for Pan/Tilt but I would like to get a head tracker for this build. I found a couple damaged Aiptek Action HD cameras for under $20. The seller claims that the LCD hinge was broken but the camera works fine so I would like to follow your instructions and hack it and install it on a home made pan/tilt gimble. Even for $80, this is a much better deal than any KX cameras.
Old Oct 07, 2009, 11:36 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkcom
As far as I can tell my go-hd has the same ribbon connectors as the action hd. Maybe that's why I could figure out what the big problem in this thread was.
No 60 fps in HD
Old Oct 07, 2009, 11:38 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kul
...I found a couple damaged Aiptek Action HD cameras for under $20. The seller claims that the LCD hinge was broken but the camera works fine so I would like to follow your instructions and hack it and install it on a home made pan/tilt gimble. Even for $80, this is a much better deal than any KX cameras.
Where ?!!! Me too...