HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2009, 03:54 AM
Edmonton, Alberta
Joined Apr 2009
72 Posts
Gussy,
Check your PM's please.

Would you be willing to sacrifice the camer (if you are not going to use it anymore) for the sake of my experimentation? I'd pay shipping (of course).

I was actually thinking of doing something along the lines of what you said, however, I would be extending the camera and board modules by findig matching connectors (they are hirose, I'm just waiting on exact measurements to find out which ones), and putting a ffc cable in between the daughter boards.

I have the opportunity of fabbing these boards for very low cost (by added to an existing project I have going out in a couple weeks), and these adapter boards would be tiny and I could squeeze them on.

Let me know if you're interested!
-mrbrt
mrbrt is offline Find More Posts by mrbrt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2009, 04:01 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,422 Posts
Gussy, you could read first posts 466 and followers, ask that guy how he managed to unsolder the connectors, and have now a live camera...
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jun 08, 2009, 04:18 AM
Does it fly?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2007
844 Posts
@RENATOA
I know how he removed it, and the way I did it was the correct way to do it, with a hot air rework station. Don't take it the wrong way, but I know what I am doing

Even still, this is something I want everyone to be able to do, so with an adapter board I could make a heap up for others, then people only need to know how to use a screw driver to do the mod, not an expensive hot air rework station.

@mrbrt
I replied to your email address

You got it spot on, that's exactly what I am going to do, have a daughter board with a FFC in between the small daughter boards.

Check the post I just made (#645), as I have added the connector information.

I should have the daughter board designed in a few minutes (PCB's are eeeasy), then its just a wait till whenever my next PCB panel comes in, then I can test out the idea.
Gussy is offline Find More Posts by Gussy
Old Jun 08, 2009, 05:37 AM
The one and only
Hjo, Sweden
Joined Apr 2004
503 Posts
Gussy: You don't want to sell your broken camera? Maybe I can find where all the pads connect and use green wire to make it work. It may take a while but I'm willing
If your intrested?
dadde is offline Find More Posts by dadde
Old Jun 08, 2009, 05:48 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,422 Posts
Maybe after mrbrt get all the useful info from it.
Old Jun 08, 2009, 05:56 AM
Does it fly?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2007
844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadde
Gussy: You don't want to sell your broken camera? Maybe I can find where all the pads connect and use green wire to make it work. It may take a while but I'm willing
If your intrested?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA
Maybe after mrbrt get all the useful info from it.
The connectors are toast, they both became very brittle after all the heat and broke up into a few pieces. So not that useful to get measurements off

Dadde, I will think about it, but I may just repair it myself one day.

We don't need to get any measurements off the board, I got them all before I started, and matched them to the connectors I linked to above
Old Jun 08, 2009, 06:23 AM
Patsch, Austria
Joined Jul 2007
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gussy
Even still, this is something I want everyone to be able to do, so with an adapter board I could make a heap up for others, then people only need to know how to use a screw driver to do the mod, not an expensive hot air rework station.
thanks a lot of thinking of the "not so smart " guys out there like me
really hope you are successful with this!
Patscherpofel is offline Find More Posts by Patscherpofel
Old Jun 10, 2009, 11:30 AM
Tom Para
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Joined May 2003
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Gussy, did you get these connectors in hand yet to test the fit on the camera circuit boards?
Tp
Tom in Cincy is online now Find More Posts by Tom in Cincy
Old Jun 10, 2009, 11:39 AM
Does it fly?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2007
844 Posts
Negative.

I haven't ordered any of them, as being in Australia the shipping on small packages is a killer. I usually wait till I have a large order ready to put it through, (although this still happens weekly sometimes )

I finished designing the adapter PCB's a few nights ago. I ended up with two variants, one that uses 2x18way FFC cables, and one that uses 1x36way FFC cable. The latter is a bit larger and uses longer traces, but has the big advantage of the single FFC cable. I will test both to see which one works best.

Regarding the connectors though, I can tell you with 99% certainty that those connectors I linked to are the correctly matching connectors. All the spec's match up, plus, there isn't really much choice when you want something as specific as a 4mm high, 36way, dual row, 0.5mm pitch board-to-board connector

Hope this helps. Give it a few weeks and I should have something to test. I need to get a new camera too.

Can anyone confirm that the A-HD+ (1080p model) has the same style camera module/connector?
I might as well get the newer model if I am buying another camera.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 03:25 PM
Netherlands
Joined Feb 2004
443 Posts
Read all 44pages. Really helpfull!
But, I have a question; I am looking for a nice fpv setup. A setup, that i dont have to concern anymore about the range of it. So a fpv setup that have minimall the range of my tx and receiver ( graupner X3810 and C900 receiver).
Can you guys please recommend me a nice setup?
I read so many combo's, so i dont know anymore wich way to go.

I want to use the Aiptek or a toshiba cam to connect on my FPV tx.
is this possible? is the only thing you must do ( if you dont uncased the cam, and other mods) connect the cam directly on your tx? Can you connect direct on your tx without any further modifications on your tx?
I hope you guys, can recommend me a nice fpv setup, en mayby a detailled foto how you connect your Hd cam to your TX.

Sorry for my bad english, but, i bed, its better than your dutch.
Remy is offline Find More Posts by Remy
Old Jun 11, 2009, 04:07 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,422 Posts
The minimum you need is a cable from Aiptek to video Tx.
Start the camera from the LCD button,
Yhen you have to use the toggle to switch the camera to AV OUT.
Its 1 down toggle, and 1 in press of the toggle to activate AV OUT.
Close the LCD reversed, else camera will shut down, and place camera in plane.
Then you will then need to press record, and you will have image in goggles.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 10:13 PM
Canada
Joined Dec 2004
287 Posts
Quote:
Can anyone confirm that the A-HD+ (1080p model) has the same style camera module/connector?
I might as well get the newer model if I am buying another camera.
Yes the A-HD+ (1080p model) connector is similar, just received & disassembled mine

Kos
Kosmic is offline Find More Posts by Kosmic
Old Jun 12, 2009, 10:49 PM
Does it fly?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2007
844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmic
Yes the A-HD+ (1080p model) connector is similar, just received & disassembled mine

Kos
Awesome! Thanks Kos!
Old Jun 12, 2009, 10:58 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,573 Posts
Gussy, It's awesome that you are so close to having this *separate lens module* issue sorted out.

Hope it works out.

I have followed this thread from the beginning and was wondering if anyone would ever do this.

Kudos for your skills and willingness to make this available for us.

Thank You!
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Jun 13, 2009, 04:48 PM
Edmonton, Alberta
Joined Apr 2009
72 Posts
Thanks Kosmic for those accurate measurements

Im worried about that tab that the hirose connectors have, and it doesn't seem that the a-hd+'s have the same matching ones. The connector the webbie uses doesn't have it 100%, renato sent me pictures of those. I tried to make a breakout board before and ran into the issue where I had to shave those tabs off to make things fit. This could be a custom made connector (hirose and samtec both do it).

Ive caved and ordered this camera off ebay, trying to mess around with it without having one isn't working out.

Gussy, the connectors tvdude ordered have a different stacking height than yours. I think the only problem he had was the width not the height. Did you measure these out or is this a guess and check that you will be doing? I know the pcb's won't change because the footprint is identical, but I was still wondering.

-m
mrbrt is offline Find More Posts by mrbrt