Old Oct 08, 2008, 10:30 PM
Joined Nov 2005
205 Posts
Discussion
RC Skydiving Forum

Forum Name: RC Skydiving

Category: Aircraft, Exotic and Special Interest

Description: Radio Controlled Skydiving and parachuting

Justification: I think there is a growing interest in RC skydiving and it would be helpfull to be able to share tips in a forum.

Moderator(s):
fighter_ace06 is offline Find More Posts by fighter_ace06
Last edited by fighter_ace06; Oct 08, 2008 at 10:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2008, 05:46 PM
Landin' On The Canopy BAD
Lee's Summit, MO
Joined Jan 2008
1,481 Posts
i have never heard of RC skydiving. I vote yes to this!
F-86FLIER4LIFE is offline Find More Posts by F-86FLIER4LIFE
Old Jan 24, 2009, 10:33 PM
Blue skies & light winds
St-Isidore, New-Brunswick, Canada
Joined Apr 2008
42 Posts
RC skydiver

Hey, I just ordered mine from www.rcskydiving.com, can't wait to get it, i can post pics and videos when i get him jumping :-)
skydive4ever is offline Find More Posts by skydive4ever
Old Feb 22, 2009, 06:04 PM
Put a bigger motor on it!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,421 Posts
I'm making my own at the moment. I've got the skydiver built (designed on the PC and laser cut parts) and I've got the parachute about half way sewed up. I'm making a 7-cell canopy, 2 sq.ft., 2.1 aspect ratio (L/W). Hopefully this thing works! I've wanted to do this for a very very long time!
gtfreeflyer is online now Find More Posts by gtfreeflyer
Old Mar 18, 2009, 09:29 PM
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Aug 2008
179 Posts
Scratchbuild Parachute+Diver

Im interested in build one myself but cant find any related artikel on scratchbuild parachute+diver complete with design consideration (ie why this number of cell? why this weight? why this measurement?).

would somebody point me into the right direction. really wanna have one of this thing drop frm my airplane.
kaysee is online now Find More Posts by kaysee
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:18 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,421 Posts
I couldn't find anything myself. I used to skydive so I know a thing or two about the non-rc sport. 9 cells canopies generally glide much better and have a better "sweet spot" for the flare. 7 cells are much more manuverable and generally open more reliably. High performance canopy fliers like to fly 9 cells. The guys who open their chutes way up in the air and link together to make parachute formations (CReW) like to fly 7 cells. You can manipulate the 7 cell canopy much better to make it do what you need. I chose 7 cell only because it would take less time to sew! lol.

You see real life average skydivers load their chutes anywhere from .5lb/sqft (really slow boring descent for beginners) to 1.5lb/sqft (dangerously fast approaches but a lot of fun to fly the canopy down). Some people have even flown 3lb/sqft but they usually drop weights before they touch down. I chose .5lb/sqft for my design. I think when you get down to small scale though, this rule of thumb is void and you need more like 3 or 4 times more area than weight. I haven't tested yet, but the chute seems small.

I read somewhere (for real canopies, not rc) that 2.1 aspect ratio was average. A higher aspect ratio like 2.7 is longer and thinner, flies better, but opens less reliably. Going lower than 2.1 would make the chute look more square than rectangle and would open more reliably but would not fly very well. I would really like to have gone with 2.7 or 3.0, but I wanted something reliable for my first try.

I used what I know for the real sport. I know most of this won't apply to rc since the numbers are not linearly scalable, but at least it's a starting point for me! First flight is still pending.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 06:12 PM
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Aug 2008
179 Posts
thanx gtfreeflyer for ur explaination. at least now i know something. if you dont mind here comes some questions.

i'm planning to modified this power kite that i have into rc parachute. is it possible? and what weight should i go for. here's the spec n pic.

1.8 m Dual Line Stunt Parachute Parafoil Sport Kite New

New Dual Control Power Parafoil Kite
Length :1.8m ,Width:0.65m

kaysee is online now Find More Posts by kaysee
Old Mar 19, 2009, 07:42 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,421 Posts
That would be 5.9'x2.13' = 12.5 sq.ft.
I would think you could go 4 pounds and be happy. Are you sure the length is 1.8m and not the area? Be sure to double check. You'll have to redo the length of the lines so that the leading edge points downwards. You'll also have to add brake lines to the trailing edge so you can steer.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 06:04 PM
Anywhere there is room to fly...
Joined Feb 2004
951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaysee
Im interested in build one myself but cant find any related artikel on scratchbuild parachute+diver complete with design consideration (ie why this number of cell? why this weight? why this measurement?).

would somebody point me into the right direction. really wanna have one of this thing drop frm my airplane.
These guys to a "Tape and Drawing Package" for building RC Canopy's (see here http://www.rcskydiveusa.com/products.htm ).
I have one of their chutes and its not bad.
There was also a free download (in German I think) that had Skydiver and Chute plans which is very detailed. I will have to find the link...
pitts is offline Find More Posts by pitts
Old Apr 07, 2009, 08:17 PM
Blue skies & light winds
St-Isidore, New-Brunswick, Canada
Joined Apr 2008
42 Posts
Hey all, I posted a couple of vids on the build of my Micro Diver from RCSkydiving.com I will post his maiden jump whenever weather here gets warmer.
http://www.youtube.com/Skydive4ever
skydive4ever is offline Find More Posts by skydive4ever
Old Sep 11, 2009, 02:05 PM
Often wrong ("wife")
Deep in the South
Joined Sep 2003
3,155 Posts
Anyone have a copy of the Video from http://www.rcskydiveusa.com/products.htm? Mr Fowler is no longer doing this business and no longer has the tapes or templates. He has given me permission to make a copy if I can get it from someone. Please contact me if you have a copy that I could pay to ship, copy, and ship back.

Thanks very much in advance
John
johnbyrne is online now Find More Posts by johnbyrne
Old Sep 13, 2009, 03:12 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Jan 2009
1,421 Posts
I havent heard of rc stydiving but I like the way it sounds. +1
lazer155 is offline Find More Posts by lazer155
Old Sep 14, 2009, 01:30 PM
Often wrong ("wife")
Deep in the South
Joined Sep 2003
3,155 Posts
Given I can't seem to come up with the video tape and/or templates I'm looking at something else. Fingers are still crossed on the tape

but in the mean time:

I've did a CAD drawing of the gitchel chute. I followed the written instructions and the parts seem to fit pretty good. Anyone here sew up one of these? I'll post the CAD drawings later.
johnbyrne is online now Find More Posts by johnbyrne
Old Sep 17, 2009, 10:57 AM
Bangkok
Joined Jul 2003
48 Posts
Try this http://viewer.zoho.com/docs/xpMkb
In german but you can use google to translate
Piyarost is offline Find More Posts by Piyarost
Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:16 AM
Santiago, Chile
Joined Mar 2005
34 Posts
Hello friends
My name is Miguel Poduje and I live in Chile, South America. One year ago I began to wonder how to make a RC parachute and I started to collect all information that could. I realized that there is not much I could neither find a detailed map.

Then I decided to build my own based on what he could get on the Internet.

Mainly use a document written in German by Don Udo Straub and Michael Rogg.

I have a detailed step by step in my adventure, in Spanish, I would like to visit:

http://cach.cl/foroSMF/index.php?topic=4470.0

This model airplane is a forum in Chile. I include some pics for you.

[IMG]http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww42/mpoduje/paraforo/club300509084.jpg[/

Greetings
mpoduje is offline Find More Posts by mpoduje