SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 08, 2008, 05:00 PM
Trying to build & to fly
Italy
Joined Sep 2007
796 Posts
Build Log
FunBuild 2 - Reggiane RE2005 'Sagittario'

This is my entry for my very first contest, and also for my fourth balsa build. I do not know how I will do it, but I'll try because of the first word of the contest name: Fun.

I'll try to build a Reggiane RE2005 'Sagittario'. It's a rare, yet very nice, Italian WWII fighter, built in 30 pieces or so.
You can information in many places: here , and here , for example, while here you can find some color schemes.

As far as I understood, there are no kits, but the few I built has been almost always from plans (with only one notable exception ), so also this one will be from a plan: this one , modified and enlarged by an user of the italian Baronerosso forum from a glow combat version plan by Animor Dobrovich.
As I do not like easy things, I'll follow partly the modified plan, but most likely with the combat size, i.e. 91cm wingspan. Furthermore, I would like to cover it with modelspan or oracover and not with balsa, to make it lighter and slower (for my thumbs).

Now I'm finishing a DVII , then I'll clean up my table and start this one. No hurry.
tacchino is offline Find More Posts by tacchino
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2008, 05:07 PM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
tacchino ,

Nice choice ! Looks like the Me109 had a lot of influence on the designer .

Great to have you aboard the FunBuild and looking forward to you build . What is the size ? , and any ideas on a power system ?

Thanks again for participating ,
-John
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Oct 08, 2008, 05:17 PM
....When pigs can fly
Duffel - Belgium
Joined Jan 2004
1,653 Posts
Hey, cool, a Sagittario

Very good choise because it is a great looking plane. And I am pretty sure it will become a great flyer

If you choose for the 3th plane on profiles in one of your links I can provide you with image files for the faces on the fuselage, the scarecrow and the emblem on the tail.

Good luck on your build
I'll be following this with interest

Tom
W@CC0 is offline Find More Posts by W@CC0
Old Oct 08, 2008, 05:22 PM
OCD: Old, Cranky and Disgusted
United States, TX, Sweetwater
Joined Mar 2005
1,617 Posts
[QUOTE=jofrost]tacchino ,

Looks more like they took a Seversky P-35 and mounted a Daimler-Benz engine to it... Same tail planes, same wing. Just a little cleaning up, around the cabin area.
challenger_i is offline Find More Posts by challenger_i
Old Oct 08, 2008, 05:22 PM
Trying to build & to fly
Italy
Joined Sep 2007
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofrost
tacchino ,

Great to have you aboard the FunBuild and looking forward to you build . What is the size ? , and any ideas on a power system ?

Thanks again for participating ,
-John
You convinced me...

I perceive the Sagittario as similar but more roundish than the Me109, but I'm not able to explain exactly why.
The most likely size, as I mentioned, will be 91cm wingspan (about 35"). But I'm not sure yet, I have to look at plans, and try to understand what is better for me (I prefer to build small).
Regarding the power system, I'm a beginner (or so), so I do not know what weight I can expect (from balsa), and also is my first warbird - which I would prefer to be slow, for my kind of flight.
I'll ask support here to choose, when it will be the time.
Old Oct 08, 2008, 05:27 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,248 Posts
A very good airplane to model! You will get all the help you need from the other builders here. It may be a contest, but everyone wants everyone else to do well!

I agree with your choice of size. ~90cm will keep the price of materials low, and it can be flown nearly anywhere.

Geoff
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Oct 08, 2008, 05:27 PM
Trying to build & to fly
Italy
Joined Sep 2007
796 Posts
Tom, Challenger, (EDIT: and Geoff!) thanks for the interest: I can tell I'll be slow, so be patient with me.
Tom: I still do not know which I'll do, but surely part of choice will be made basing on the availability of pictures for decals (I have somethng already), so thanks for the offer.
Old Oct 08, 2008, 05:42 PM
It flew once before...
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
tacchino ,

At 35" span should still be fairly light . A lot will depend on construction method . Will it be stick and tissue type construction ( lighter ) or fully sheeted ?

A lot depends on how you want it to fly , and the type of conditions you usually have to fly in . I like mine to be able to at least handle a light steady breeze , but have very limited field size so I also tend to build smaller and lighter .

-John
Old Oct 09, 2008, 01:44 AM
Trying to build & to fly
Italy
Joined Sep 2007
796 Posts
Quote:
tacchino ,

At 35" span should still be fairly light . A lot will depend on construction method . Will it be stick and tissue type construction ( lighter ) or fully sheeted ?

A lot depends on how you want it to fly , and the type of conditions you usually have to fly in . I like mine to be able to at least handle a light steady breeze , but have very limited field size so I also tend to build smaller and lighter .

-John

stick and tissue, although the original design is for fully sheeted. I could also reduce to 30", but at that point perhaps will be more difficult to fly.
I fly in a small field close to my home, alone, and by the way I'm not a good flyer, because I fly only to test what I built. So my thumbs are still rough.

By the way, have also other very detailed material, perhaps more useful for a real scale build: http://sobchak.wordpress.com/2008/02...05-sagittario/ and http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/reggianere2005lk.html
Old Oct 09, 2008, 04:55 AM
....When pigs can fly
Duffel - Belgium
Joined Jan 2004
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by challenger_i
Quote:
tacchino ,

Looks more like they took a Seversky P-35 and mounted a Daimler-Benz engine to it... Same tail planes, same wing. Just a little cleaning up, around the cabin area.
That is because the Re.2005 was based on the earlier Re.2000 series of aircraft. And the designer of the Re.2000 based his design on the Seversky. Therefor, it looks very similar. The wing of the 2005 was enlarged and a DB 605 was used instead of the radial or other DB's on earlier versions.

Tacchino,
If you go for a +/- 30" plane that is fully sheeted, ask some advice from thomanie. He has an excellent FW190 at that size in the same construction method and he has build some other warbirds too. He might have an idea for a good power combination, battery, prop etc.

And here at the website of tdm models are also a lot of 30" warbirds with information about weight and power setups.

Tom
W@CC0 is offline Find More Posts by W@CC0
Old Oct 09, 2008, 08:17 AM
It must have a machinegun
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,283 Posts
The fuselage of the sagittario is all compound curves, so stick and tissue will be easier than a sheeted build. I think its one of the most attractive planes of WW2. Here's a pic of my 1.4m span version.
Scaledown is offline Find More Posts by Scaledown
Old Oct 09, 2008, 04:44 PM
Trying to build & to fly
Italy
Joined Sep 2007
796 Posts
Tom: thanks for the link, I also found one interesting thread by thomanie . However, if not necessary, I will avoid full sheeted construction.

Scaledown: really nice, do you have some thread about it, or photos?
Old Oct 09, 2008, 04:51 PM
It flew once before...
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
tacchino ,

You can always add more stringers to take away the starved horse look.

-John
Old Oct 12, 2008, 07:50 AM
It must have a machinegun
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,283 Posts
Painting it in matt colour also makes the stringers less noticable.

No I didn't do a build thread on mine, I wasn't registered with RCgroups at the time. Its in semi retirement these days. Spectators usually thought it was a messerschmitt or a spitfire!
Scaledown is offline Find More Posts by Scaledown
Old Oct 21, 2008, 02:32 PM
Trying to build & to fly
Italy
Joined Sep 2007
796 Posts
Very first step

Finished (almost) my DVII , and printed plans for this one (the combat version: this will be the size I'll do, but with rounded fuse).