Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 29, 2011, 02:11 AM
melbourne, australia
Joined Jun 2009
892 Posts
peter
what pics would you like to see. i have posted a few as things progress, but will repost some if you like.

i didnt think of using the blister packaging!!
i have just dug out the old box and tried it... looks good. when i have finished using the original silverlit panels to make the mould, it should give a similar result, but with hopefully a little more detail.

i did some more testing on tuesday after work....
i swaped back to the original losi shocks, the headshake disappeared. the new shocks are only 1 mm longer, and the springs were marginally heavier.
but i think it is enough to cause the high speed instability. i then went to softer springs in the rear with the losi shocks, and the stability seemed to improve more, before i rebroke the lower mount.(i will keep patching it, till the new one arrives).

cheers
a
ado1974 is offline Find More Posts by ado1974
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2011, 03:45 AM
Germany, RP, Nierstein
Joined Jun 2011
154 Posts
Hi Ado,
saw your pics. Nice work with the 3d printed parts. Guess your instability comes from the fork angle. Longer shocks-> Steaper angle-> more instable. Also if you can handle a harder stearing control it could improve as well, or you can try a steering damper. On my bikeŽ, the steering axle does not move. I put a M2 thread to it and a spring and a washer. Like on the old BMW R25 bikes. As mor I tighten as more friction i get between the washer and the fork. But be careful it makes it less responsive if you overtighten.

I will swing the engrave tool to my mould to get a little sharper edges. But as said for running it is fine.

Cheers
Bastelpeter is offline Find More Posts by Bastelpeter
Old Jun 29, 2011, 06:51 AM
melbourne, australia
Joined Jun 2009
892 Posts
yes i think it was a combination of the steeper steering head angle, and the back wheel kicking a little as it hit small bumps causing the instability... will try it again on sunday on a slightly rougher surface, but wiht less debris.

was thinking of a steering damper, but the reduction in response wouldnt be a good thing.
i have been working on making it more responsive!, especially at high speed, but would like to stay away from modifying the wheels.

cheers
a
Old Jun 29, 2011, 06:59 AM
Me Likee Motorbikee
Melbourne Australia
Joined Nov 2009
1,140 Posts
wooohooo.... the Losi micro esc and motor arrived today... man this thing is just sooo cute...

now to start building a bike to fit it in...
Lukey B is offline Find More Posts by Lukey B
Old Jun 30, 2011, 05:23 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,737 Posts
A, i decided to fit the body panels first so i can see exactly what space i have in the belly everything should fit in there nicely it actually gives me more space, this is what i had to do to the chassis to make it fit, the panels fit good but i have a problem with the belly pan the battery does not sit up in the bottom of the bike enough like the silverlit to get the cover on, i may be able to chop the sides out of the pan where it sinks in to drop the battery down in the cover more but still not sure it will be enough, i also have a newray static ducati the pan on it is wider on the bottom so the battery will go in further, i might have to see if i can pull it off without breaking it to try it, its the only thing holding me up at the moment because fitting it out with the electrics & moving rider will be the easy part now

Cheers.
Throttlejunkie is offline Find More Posts by Throttlejunkie
Old Jul 03, 2011, 11:08 PM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,737 Posts
Ado, i have it all but done m8, i just have to attach his feet to the body work make some crash bars & mod the battery cover to fit but i do need much stronger springs on the shocks because with the rider & everything on it it does not spring back up, where can i get some stronger springs from m8.

I have tested it on the bench & WW these motors have got some zing & the bike ended up being about 25 grams lighter than my brushless silverlit, i am hoping to get down the track one day this week to test it if all goes to plan.

Cheers.
Old Jul 03, 2011, 11:58 PM
melbourne, australia
Joined Jun 2009
892 Posts
looks good throttle.
havent had much time to finish drawings... and wont for a few more days at least.
try winding in a little preload on the springs, and if that doesnt seem to be enough i will send you some heavier springs. what oil are you running?? 250cst/25W??
it seems that it likes to run soft in the rear, but should still return to the top, with no load.(but only just)... will be waiting to hear your test results.

cheers
a
Old Jul 04, 2011, 12:00 AM
melbourne, australia
Joined Jun 2009
892 Posts
if you want to order your own springs... just look for losi micro sct springs.... there are several sets available, and even progressive rates!
otherwise i will send you a set of heavies.

a
Old Jul 04, 2011, 02:47 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,737 Posts
Im a dummy i did not even realize the shocks were adjustable i must need glasses, the preload fixed it feels real nice now im running whatever oil you had in there m8.

Cheers.
Old Jul 04, 2011, 02:54 AM
melbourne, australia
Joined Jun 2009
892 Posts
cant remember if i had done those shocks or not???

if they feel ok, with no air in them then i have put in venom 250cst.
as they come from factory they are only half full with oil... and feel and sound really bad

cheers
a
Old Jul 06, 2011, 06:56 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,737 Posts
You can stick a fork in this one m8 it's done , big test day tomorrow
it was a bit of a challenge but i did enjoy it, but now i can run it & refine it.

I had to split the battery box & widen it using a piece of clear polycarbonate from a truck body & just glued it in i might replace it with a thin piece of carbon fiber later but you cant see it anyway & i made some small alloy brackets & tapped a M2 thread in them to hold it on, it just means i have to take out four screws to replace the battery instead of one but it allows me to use the 360mah battery & just plug it in & screw the cover on i might even look at doing the same to my other ducati so i can run the 360 as well, funny thing is just by luck the battery cover now acts as a swing arm stop as well but im so happy with the way it came out i cant wait to give it a run.

Cheers.
Old Jul 06, 2011, 04:07 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlejunkie View Post
You can stick a fork in this one m8 it's done , big test day tomorrow
it was a bit of a challenge but i did enjoy it, but now i can run it & refine it.

I had to split the battery box & widen it using a piece of clear polycarbonate from a truck body & just glued it in i might replace it with a thin piece of carbon fiber later but you cant see it anyway & i made some small alloy brackets & tapped a M2 thread in them to hold it on, it just means i have to take out four screws to replace the battery instead of one but it allows me to use the 360mah battery & just plug it in & screw the cover on i might even look at doing the same to my other ducati so i can run the 360 as well, funny thing is just by luck the battery cover now acts as a swing arm stop as well but im so happy with the way it came out i cant wait to give it a run.

Cheers.
Very very .. very ... nice job !

I need to copy your "crash bar" .. and "battery cover" ... I have an old 2S 600mAh Poliquest ... and is almost as big as the 360mAh Rhino ... so it may fit with some work ... since is old .. it does push just 2amp .. but should be enough for the stock brushed bike ...

Tchuss

e_lm_70
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Jul 06, 2011, 10:48 PM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,737 Posts
Thanks elm, i went to the track today i have some video & will post it soon , the crash bars worked great, & the battery box worked well also i am very happy with it.

Cheers.
Old Jul 07, 2011, 12:40 AM
melbourne, australia
Joined Jun 2009
892 Posts
looking really good there throttle.

how was the handling??

a
Old Jul 07, 2011, 07:00 PM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,737 Posts
Ok i finally got the vid uploaded.

Ado all i can say is wow this bike is awesome i cant believe how stable it is it didnt even look like tank slapping that twin shock suspension works great, on the straight there is yellow lane markers which are about 2mm high when i hit them with my other bike it puts it into a big tank slap & crash usually but with this chassis it just glides over them, the only thing i think i will tweak is the steering bands they felt a little tight which i suspected they would be but thought i would try it anyway, as it felt like when i center the steering in a turn its pulling the bike up straight to early i would like it to hang in the turn a little more i will just put the tiniest bit of slack in the bands & try that but other than that i dont think there is much that needs changing.
And the power of the 10250kv motor OMFG it has awesome mid to high speed power & i dont think it has lost any punch down low it just comes in a lot smoother i really like it a lot its not screaming its head off like the 8750kv which is all out of revs pretty quick but 10250kv i dont even think i fully maxed it out down the straight & it just seems so much smoother.
But anyway i am so impressed with the chassis & how stable & easy to ride it is, as the only track time i have had with rc bikes is these 2 vids so for a novice like me to be able to throw down laps like that is awesome i think, well done Ado, they are so race-able, now i just need racers imagine a full grid of these racing around it would be so cool.
I was not using any brakes either still waiting for my new tx with epa i was just powering up to the corner & getting off the throttle early & rolling through the corners, the brakes still lock up but with this chassis i notice it does not get as unbalanced as the silverlit chassis, but anyway i will stop babbling on let the vid do the talking, watch this little sucker go.

Cheers.

Brushless 1-12 Silverlit RC Motorcycle With Direct Steer & Custom Chassis..mp4 (10 min 44 sec)