Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:01 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,707 Posts
The traditional style bars using the antenna tube is a good idea, you might be able to use something like this to mount them with.
Throttlejunkie is offline Find More Posts by Throttlejunkie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2011, 01:22 AM
melbourne, australia
Joined Jun 2009
874 Posts
no need for anything that fancy... will ca some attachment points somewhere.

if it wrks i will add the points to the next chassis
ado1974 is offline Find More Posts by ado1974
Old Jun 25, 2011, 01:05 PM
Germany, RP, Nierstein
Joined Jun 2011
154 Posts
Hi everybody,
this is my first post in this forum, so let me introduce myself. My name is Peter and I am from Germany. 43 years old, but still playing with toys :-).

I saw you guys doing something selfmade and I thaught I should also show what I am proud about.

When I was driving the Silverlit the first time it was big fun. But after a while I thaught "This ESC is not what I want", and decided to do one by my own bike with a "normal " RC. After some hours of CAD and milling I got the first 1/12 bike. This one was fine for a while. BTW it is the one on youtube you where searching the owner a couple of pages ago.

A couple of weeks ago I was in Lostallo and Aaron convinced me to build one for him. With that I started to do some optimization.

It is basically a shrinked 1/5. Frame is milled oiut of composite. The fork is controlled by rubber strings. It has a friction damper for the steering. The "Chain" is done by a little O-ring. The bike is driven by a Robby Roxxy 18mm outrunner. I am quiet happy with the result. Hope you like it too.

Cheers
Peter

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Bastelpeter is offline Find More Posts by Bastelpeter
Old Jun 25, 2011, 05:05 PM
Me Likee Motorbikee
Melbourne Australia
Joined Nov 2009
1,140 Posts
That's a very tidy bit of work... I have had ideas of doing similar things, but I need ALOT more expirience with my machinery... I have what I think are good ideas, but don't know how to achieve them...

You have done an exelent job...

How does the o-ring drive work..? Do you have much slipping..?

Good stuff... Well done... Thanks for sharing... And welcome to the board...
Lukey B is offline Find More Posts by Lukey B
Old Jun 25, 2011, 07:58 PM
melbourne, australia
Joined Jun 2009
874 Posts
nice work peter

was thinking of making something similar when this project is finished.
what pinion and spur gear are you using??

cheers
a
Old Jun 25, 2011, 11:04 PM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,707 Posts
Yeah nice bike it just needs a body & rider, did you make the wheels & what tyres are you using.

Cheers.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 02:32 AM
Germany, RP, Nierstein
Joined Jun 2011
154 Posts
Good morning from Germany.
Thanks for your feedback. The O-ring drive works fine but as you 've expected it slips a little. So no wheely, however it is enough for a save acceleration. The belt drive wheels are selfmade. The primary gear is a modul 0,5 gear from a 1:18 rc car. But you can find the same in the good old Conrad Electronic shop. Wheels and tires... what a challange. Yes, the wheels are milled out of a solid block and finished on a turning machine. This was work but I had a clear plan. For the tires it was the other way around. Not so mutch work, put no plan where to get the material. Tested alot like muffler mountings, paper feed roller etc...
Finally I took rubber material from a plate for the inner tires , cut the rings and grind them... The outer tire was easy, it is a ring from a monutain bike tube.

Hey, I got a question too. What ESC are you planning to use? For brushless is not so mutch on the market...

Cheers,
BP
Old Jun 26, 2011, 02:49 AM
melbourne, australia
Joined Jun 2009
874 Posts
i am using the losi micro xcelorin motor and esc(1/36 and 1/24 scale)

if you use 1/18th scale setup, there are a lot more esc and motor options... but size could be an issue.... and power could almost be too much

cheers
a
Old Jun 26, 2011, 03:05 AM
Germany, RP, Nierstein
Joined Jun 2011
154 Posts
jep, thats right. size is an issue in the 12scale bikes. I have 20mm between the frame plates. The Schulze ESC i am using fits perfect but sometimes it has a problem with starting the motor. The motor I am using has 55W at 11,4, so guess 30W at 7,4. That is enough fo app. 30-35 km/h.

Cheers,
BP
Old Jun 26, 2011, 03:30 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,707 Posts
That's awesome i wish i had the machines & knowledge to use them to make alloy parts like that i love that stuff, i would go nuts making alloy hop up parts for everything, with the inner tyre when you say you took rubber material from a plate do you mean a flat sheet of rubber
Also have you tested the steering like that when i had the bands crossed like that it didn't work they had to be straight.

Cheers.
Last edited by Throttlejunkie; Jun 26, 2011 at 03:44 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 06:10 AM
Germany, RP, Nierstein
Joined Jun 2011
154 Posts
Yeah, from a flat sheet of rubber, that's what ment. I crossed the bands because the fork rods would have been in the way if I would have used them staight. They're working good in this constallation. CNC is a great thing. You can do alnost everything you wish. Whes I invested in my machines, Iwas not sure if this was the right decision. But after a while it is really fun! Doing also 1/5 scale bikes and planes with it. I know, I am a crazy guy...
Cheers.

Old Jun 26, 2011, 06:23 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,707 Posts
Very nice m8, well done

Cheers.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 12:31 PM
Germany, RP, Nierstein
Joined Jun 2011
154 Posts
G'day,
this is a short video from the little stinker...

Cheers,
Peter

video1zu12.wmv (1 min 42 sec)
Old Jun 28, 2011, 04:57 PM
melbourne, australia
Joined Jun 2009
874 Posts
very nice peter.

can you give us some beter pics of your body work, what did you make the mould off?

it is almost identical to what i am working on, i was planning for the belly pan to be part of the 2 halves, not detached as yours is.

cheers
a
Old Jun 29, 2011, 01:33 AM
Germany, RP, Nierstein
Joined Jun 2011
154 Posts
Hi Ado,
the body is vacuum molded on a very basic vacuum box. The material is drawn over a posive mold. And...... now.... I proudly present. Just kidding. The mold is done by filling the Silverlit blister with cement. I just closed the hole for the arms and filled it. So I got two halfs of the mold. After drawing I screwed them together-> done. It is not a 100% scale body but in 1 meter distance it looks good enough.

Will post some pics later today.

Do you have pictures from your project you can post. Keen to see what happens on the other side of the planet.

Cheers,
Peter