HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2010, 07:34 PM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,796 Posts
Well guys, Esc turned up today, fits straight in no problem, but still not got it set up just right yet, being an aircraft esc with a brake it has to be armed with the throttle stick in the brake position, this is ok with an aircraft tranny as the stick is not spring loaded back to the nutral position, so I arm the esc in the brake position then let go of the stick back to the centre and the motor starts to run so I can arm the esc with the stick in the centre but there is a long gap till the motor starts to run, you can adjust this with the trim so its better but then the take off speed its a bit too much, kind of like an off and on switch ! but with 40% expo on it is fine, but soon as you let off the brake comes on and locks the wheel up, so put the atv down to 15% on the brake side and the expo down to - 45% on the brake side and its sorted, you kind to have to play about with the throttle trim a little to fine tune it, but had it set up fantastic at times, could back it into the corners on the brake so thought I had it sorted, But, every time you arm it you have to put all the settings back to 100% and expo back to 0% then dial it all in after its armed. This is a bit of a pain but wrote the settings down so I remember them, so I just arm it at everything 100% and then dial the settings in and its great Not had time to try out any more set ups yet but think I can play around with the nutral point on my Futaba 3Vc to improve things. I want to just plug it in and play without having to dial the settings in all the time, but its nearly there, brake is very strong, in fact too strong ! you have to tone it down with the atv, but then like I said it will not arm right at this setting when you change the cells over, but overal I am very pleased with the esc, it just needs a little more time to set it up
steve bisco is offline Find More Posts by steve bisco
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2010, 05:04 AM
Australia Qld
Joined Jun 2010
532 Posts
Thats awesome m8, Nice pictures with some directions
Nevped67 is offline Find More Posts by Nevped67
Old Nov 03, 2010, 07:21 AM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevped67 View Post
Thats awesome m8, Nice pictures with some directions

Thanks Nev, I have it sorted now, got my Futaba 3vc manual out managed to set it up a lot easier, all you have to do is arm it at 100% on atv and everything else at zero % then just turn the Atl down on the side of the tranny till you get the brake to feel how you like it, so no diving into the menu of the tranny all the time, guess you can still play with the expo if you like. More testing tonight let you know how I get on
Ps you will need a tranny with atv, or atl to fine tune the esc I am afriad.
Old Nov 03, 2010, 12:16 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,709 Posts
Steve,

That's a pretty sophisticated Tx. Does it have a way to set a 5 point throttle curve, or is that a different version? If so, maybe there's a way to avoid having to alter it each time.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Nov 03, 2010, 07:05 PM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
Steve,

That's a pretty sophisticated Tx. Does it have a way to set a 5 point throttle curve, or is that a different version? If so, maybe there's a way to avoid having to alter it each time.

Yes it does have a 5 point throttle curve, but the throttle is not really the problem its the brake and the arming of the esc that needs to be changed every time, but now its easy just arm the esc at 100% then turn down the ATL on the brake side and its ready to go. Run another few sets of cells through it tonight, all ok but the brake is still kind of full on or off if you know what I mean, I sort of abs it so it dont lock the wheel up, I have abs function on the tranny so could have a play with that While I had it down I added another 5 grams of weight to the rider, this improved the steering at speed 100% !! still Im having fun but that brushless Micro T set up is calling me just for the proportional brake
Old Nov 03, 2010, 07:16 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,709 Posts
Yes, I can see that the brake on an aircraft ESC isn't going to be proportional. An ABS function on the tranny sounds ideal.

I was thinking you could use the throttle curve to set the mid point of the throttle so it's just above the brake position, but not turning the motor over, so the lower half of the throttle curve would be almost flat and the upper half would cover most of the range. I hadn't heard of ATL before today.
Last edited by Andy2No; Nov 03, 2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2010, 07:50 PM
Joined Sep 2008
91 Posts
All esc for airplane have the problem of brake, the best solution ( for me, i think ) Losi xcelorin for brushless motor or tekin b1 for brushed motor, this is amazing, is possible to use with 540 motor ( i know, don't fit in this 1:12 bike ) but the dimension are pretty small 25.4 x 23.6 x 8.3mm

Have a nice day and good modding!
Maylord is offline Find More Posts by Maylord
Old Nov 03, 2010, 07:53 PM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,796 Posts
Andy nice to see you are following my thread and are up so late, you seem to be a man after my own heart I will get this bike doing what I want !thats half the fun you are right about the throttle curve, something else to try, another day tomorrow
Just thinking is the abs function going to affect the arming of the esc ??
Old Nov 03, 2010, 08:01 PM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maylord View Post
All esc for airplane have the problem of brake, the best solution ( for me, i think ) Losi xcelorin for brushless motor or tekin b1 for brushed motor, this is amazing, is possible to use with 540 motor ( i know, don't fit in this 1:12 bike ) but the dimension are pretty small 25.4 x 23.6 x 8.3mm

Have a nice day and good modding!
Maylord, nice to hear from you, did you ever get the brushless Micro t esc to fit in the bike with the bodywork on ??
Old Nov 03, 2010, 08:11 PM
Joined Sep 2008
91 Posts
Hi Steve Bisco

No, actually i don't have the esc, but if you put the motor in on of two side of the " motor mount" is possible put the esc in the other side or at the back of servo, but depending your size of servo and an receive you use, the space in this bike for put rx servo and esc is pretty small
Old Nov 03, 2010, 08:22 PM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maylord View Post
Hi Steve Bisco

No, actually i don't have the esc, but if you put the motor in on of two side of the " motor mount" is possible put the esc in the other side or at the back of servo, but depending your size of servo and an receive you use, the space in this bike for put rx servo and esc is pretty small
Yeah I know, you buy something and think its small then you try to fit it in the bike ! so you have not run the bike with micro t brushless and esc and bodywork on ?
Old Nov 03, 2010, 08:33 PM
Joined Sep 2008
91 Posts
No , i don't run with the micro brushless, now i have 2 bikes, one is stock and another with Kyosho 2.4ghz micro servo and stock motor

I will try to mod my second bike with brushless

This is my bike

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=322
Old Nov 03, 2010, 08:49 PM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,796 Posts
So Kyosho 2.4ghz micro the way to go ? but I dont want to use Kyosho steer wheel Tx I use stick radio Futaba 3vc Spektrum will it work?
Old Nov 03, 2010, 08:57 PM
Joined Sep 2008
91 Posts
There are a module for ko propo and futaba radio

but i don't know if works with your 3vc radio

This is the product

http://www.redrc.net/2008/11/pn-raci...odule-adaptor/

I suggest to use your bike with your esc/motor/receiver becaus the kyosho electronics are expensive, the brake curve and the throttle are great and proportional but are similar of your configuration

The brushless system is very power full and competitive

i have chose the kyosho set up because i dont have a good radio for put micro receiver, but now i have the possibility to mount the smallest rx gws 4ch and finally i can put any configuration for esc servo etc etc...
Old Nov 04, 2010, 02:54 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve bisco View Post
Just thinking is the abs function going to affect the arming of the esc ??
Could be a problem, yes. Can you set it to be enabled by a switch?