HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2010, 07:05 PM
Joined Dec 2009
5 Posts
Done some more mods and have the bike running pretty damn good now.
Top speed is very good and pops wheelies now pretty easily, I just need to practice controlling/landing them.

I added a lightweight front wheel from a Tamiya 1:12 model, and found the bike will turn much tighter at speed and switch direction much faster, it is a little less stable at low speed though.

The real weak point on the bike now is the suspension, I really want to add dampers somehow to help stop the rear wheel chattering, and make the front end go better over bumps/stones.

Added ball bearings for the gear/pulley shaft, I would like to do the rear wheel later too, not sure how yet...

Found these Maisto models for very cheap...

The fairings were a pretty close fit (Bit of a rush job, so ignore all the holes! ) The tank part is die cast (very heavy), so just modded/painted the Ducati one.

Oh yeah, ignore the greasy finger marks on the rider too!
PS13Boy is offline Find More Posts by PS13Boy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2010, 09:26 PM
Joined Dec 2009
24 Posts
WOW, i got one of these little guys for Christmas last year(picked it out myself)from the other half,thought it would make a nice winter toy,we get about 4 months of winter on the north shore of Lake Ontario,so my TT999R sits on the shelf i also have two old Royal Products 1/5th electric versions from the early 90s where the battery hung below and acted as a shifting weight to steer.I thought of myself as somewhat of a Dr Frankenstien till I found this thread.all I can say is AWSOME and thanks for getting this old brain thinking again.Some of my monsters have been a Powerwheels Barbie Corvette with a Poulan drive for my granddaughter and a Radio Shackskidoo with an 05buggy motor conversion.I will start another thread with pix and build of that as i'm rambling off topic here. went out today and The Source,formerly Radio crap,was clearing them out for $30cnd so now i got two more to Frankenstien and 3 months of winter. the wife says thanx guys LMAO
rc.nut is offline Find More Posts by rc.nut
Old Jan 08, 2010, 12:37 AM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve bisco View Post
Hi all I have just bought 2 sets of these cells anyone know anything about them? I have a pack that I use that looks the same without the balancer lead which goes very well, and some very poor Losi ones (blue heat shrink wrapped ) and very pricey, these are 20c and a good price.
Cheers and a Happy new year.
Ah just seen I forgot the link
http://cgi.ebay.com:80/ws/eBayISAPI....:B:ONA:US:1123
steve bisco is offline Find More Posts by steve bisco
Old Jan 10, 2010, 04:43 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2004
22 Posts
Hi , i am from singapore. I have mod. my sliverlit to use 4 cell triple A batteries. Longer runing time. Heavy weight makes the bike more stable .

RTECH is offline Find More Posts by RTECH
Old Jan 10, 2010, 09:30 AM
Singapore
Joined Feb 2004
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTECH View Post
Hi , i am from singapore. I have mod. my sliverlit to use 4 cell triple A batteries. Longer runing time. Heavy weight makes the bike more stable .

Yup! Thats rite.

Me and my mate had problems searching the small lipo, thus got the idea to use AAA cells.

We tested back to back with the modded bike with a stock one. The modded bike had an extra 5gm weight on each limp area of the rider. The verdit is astonishing! The mod bike just take corners like a dream... stable and predictable with less understeering. Only cons is the extra weights on the straights, but once it pass the stock bike at a corner... its gone!

Overall, this batt mod downside is you cant have the under fairing back in place, but its not visible anymore once on the move. The pros is you have a much stable bike( with the rider weighs), and playtime of over 30mins at least!
Martin Loo is offline Find More Posts by Martin Loo
Old Jan 10, 2010, 09:56 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,818 Posts
Cool

How are you guys securing the 4 AAA cells? Can you do it without cutting into the bike, or at least make it so it can still have the option of using the stock battery and underside fairing?

I haven't used the bike for a while, but I was quite happy with it, just stock. NiMH batteries are always a problem though - they don't work well if they're not in regular use, and they die all together quite easily. Being able to fit a clip to use AAA cells would be a bonus because they're easy to get anywhere. For the amount i'm likely to use the bike, I'd quite happily use packs of alkaline AAAs from a pound shop (everything for a pound... about $1.60).

This is the first mod that's really got my interest The scale remodeling is great, but it's beyond my skills. Running it on a lipo doesn't seem all that worthwhile if you have to add lead as well, unless you're racing them. I have some bigger bikes I bought secondhand that I'll mod with brushless motors, lipos, proportiional controls, and so on, but my Silverlit Ducati can stay as it is.

Do they make A123 cells small enough to fit? Two of those in series would be great
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:25 AM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,839 Posts
Guys, trust me there are a lot of lipos out there, when you think you are going from 4.8volt to 7.4volt with the lipo, the speed increase is fantastic, I was the one who started adding lead to the rider many posts ago, you only need a 5gram weight on the inside of each leg why you so against it? it makes the handling much better, so with lipo and a small amount of lead you get a much faster and better handling bike, plus the lower fairing will fit, my bike looks bog standard but with 20c lipo goes like a little rocket, those AAA cells just look like a backward step to me
Cheers
Old Jan 10, 2010, 11:53 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,818 Posts
Steve,

I'm not into rocketry I like the speed it goes at with the stock battery. It looks scale to me, and it's a good speed range for messing about in a relatively small car park. Also, I figure the motor and gearbox will last longer if I don't run it too hot.

I use lipos for planes, and small ones for indoor planes, because of the low weight. Lipos are much less troublesome than NiMH in many ways, I agree. The one advantage of Ni based cells is that you can run them til the bike cuts out without much chance of damaging them. The really good thing about alkaline cells is they're always ready to go, and work fine after being stored for a couple of years.

I like the duration with the stock battery too. I found it was plenty, provided you have a few batteries with you, though having more duration is always a good thing.

I'm not against lipos at all, I just don't feel the need to speed the bike up that much. Of course, it would speed up a bit with 4 alkaline cells too - more like running on 5 NiMH cells, I guess.

Having a clip to take AAA sized cells gives a few different possibilities. I still like NiCd cells for some purposes - less duration than NiMH but really good current capability and much lower self discharge.

The new "Eneloop" or "Instant" sized NiMH cells are good too because they have extremely low self discharge, almost like an alkaline cell but rechargeable - and the same voltage as normal NiMH, though not as good at delivering high currents, and not suitable for fast charging, unfortunately.
Last edited by Andy2No; Jan 10, 2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 12:30 PM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,839 Posts
But this bike is so scale, how can you run it with the cells sticking out the bottom? it looks a mess, let me see, lipo more speed, 10 mins running, lighter bike,
Old Jan 10, 2010, 12:43 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,818 Posts
Heavier would be fine for me. It looks very silly going over bumps at the moment. It all depends what you're into, of course. I'm not a racer, just a sodder about I felt the same way when I was young and foolish enough to ride a real motorbike.

I'd definitely make a new fairing to go over the pack, even if it was just a bit of clear plastic painted red on the inside with acrylic.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 11:42 PM
Singapore
Joined Feb 2004
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
Cool

How are you guys securing the 4 AAA cells? Can you do it without cutting into the bike, or at least make it so it can still have the option of using the stock battery and underside fairing?

I haven't used the bike for a while, but I was quite happy with it, just stock. NiMH batteries are always a problem though - they don't work well if they're not in regular use, and they die all together quite easily. Being able to fit a clip to use AAA cells would be a bonus because they're easy to get anywhere. For the amount i'm likely to use the bike, I'd quite happily use packs of alkaline AAAs from a pound shop (everything for a pound... about $1.60).

This is the first mod that's really got my interest The scale remodeling is great, but it's beyond my skills. Running it on a lipo doesn't seem all that worthwhile if you have to add lead as well, unless you're racing them. I have some bigger bikes I bought secondhand that I'll mod with brushless motors, lipos, proportiional controls, and so on, but my Silverlit Ducati can stay as it is.

Do they make A123 cells small enough to fit? Two of those in series would be great

Andy2No...

We use music wires, and bend them to shape as shown in the pic( silver color ). The front part has a tounge that goes into the slot for the fairing, and the rear had a round bend for the required screw to screw into place, just as the fairing. So far it holds everything for a few hours already. Hopes this helps!

just my 2 cents, the extra longer runtime is really funfilled with this interesting little bike, and if we used the even larger capacity 1250mah cells, it`ll be even much awesome to have a long race!
Old Jan 11, 2010, 04:02 AM
Joined Dec 2009
5 Posts
I liked the speed I got with a 7.4 lipo on the stock bike, but then I find that power pulse from neutral to forward is just rediculous.
And the lowest speed is not that low, so it's really hard to take tight turns smoothly.
PS13Boy is offline Find More Posts by PS13Boy
Old Jan 11, 2010, 04:18 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2004
22 Posts
Here is the view from the underside. Nothing mod to the bike.You can still use back the stock bat.and fairing. But the bats are soldered into a pack form. So if you plan to use alkaline bats., you will need to find a bat. holder.
And one more thing, the bike look so scale, why need the 2 thing sticking out of its sides? Makes it look like a learner bike.

RTECH is offline Find More Posts by RTECH
Old Jan 11, 2010, 04:41 AM
Singapore
Joined Feb 2004
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS13Boy View Post
I liked the speed I got with a 7.4 lipo on the stock bike, but then I find that power pulse from neutral to forward is just rediculous.
And the lowest speed is not that low, so it's really hard to take tight turns smoothly.
Think you can solve the issue by adding a sponge tape underneth the trigger, so that it`ll never goes to neutral. You can still add brakes by pushing more force to it. Think someone already had done such mod here already...
Old Jan 11, 2010, 04:56 AM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Loo View Post
Think you can solve the issue by adding a sponge tape underneth the trigger, so that it`ll never goes to neutral. You can still add brakes by pushing more force to it. Think someone already had done such mod here already...
like this you mean?