HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2008, 08:30 PM
Park Stormer
United States, NJ, Brooklawn
Joined Jul 2008
825 Posts
Discussion
Fiber optic night lighting

Ok, so I have a reading day this friday, and I figured it was time for a quick mod to my typhoon.

I was thinking about adding night lighting, to the tune of fiber optics. If my understanding is correct, I could house the light source in the main fuse, and run the lighting where ever I want.

My questions are:
where can I get the appropriate cable (by this Friday would be best)?
How would I attache said cable to the LED's I plan to use to light them
AggressorBLUE is offline Find More Posts by AggressorBLUE
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2008, 09:03 PM
Check my blog-updated
Columbus,Ohio
Joined Nov 2005
2,133 Posts
I have used these. They are bright and easy to install and use.

http://www.ncweb.com/biz/dan/RCLights.html
Mayday!Mayday! is offline Find More Posts by Mayday!Mayday!
Old Oct 07, 2008, 10:06 PM
Park Stormer
Joined Jul 2008
825 Posts
Seems like a simple enough set up, and I'll consider the straw idea as a back up. But I was thinking more along the lines of tracing the wings and fuze with the fiber optic cable.
Old Oct 07, 2008, 10:51 PM
Living Dead Guy
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Aug 2008
162 Posts
If your a do-it-yerselfer, I picked up some old fibreoptic plastic plants at a garage sale, and stripped out the stuff I wanted. problem is you are limited to whatever length of strand the plant has.
Chopperhed is offline Find More Posts by Chopperhed
Old Oct 07, 2008, 11:21 PM
Park Stormer
Joined Jul 2008
825 Posts
well, I found this site as a source of cable. I've also been told the fiber xmas trees are an option, with the same drawback of being limited to the set length
http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/Fiber_optic_items.htm

They list two kinds of cable that seem relevant: Sideglow and Endglow. As the names imply, side glow emits light along the sides, and endglow would illuminate the very end of the cable. What I want is the effect of the sideglow. Problem is that it says you need at least a fixed 100 watt halogen bulb to power it. Its worth mentioning that their main use for the stuff seems to be large runs of cable (100+ feet). I wondering if a few LED's could light lengths of 10 feet or so of the stuff. Also, wouldn't the end glow give off at least a little lighting along its sides

Also, is there anything I need to know about stringing together the LED's. I figured I'd go with a separate power system for safety reasons.

As far as attaching the LED's to the FO cable, I was thinking heat shrink them together.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 01:04 AM
Park Stormer
Joined Jul 2008
825 Posts
Finally found what I was looking for

Night Lighting at Hobbycity

So far I've hooked it up to my Typhoon 2, hope to try it out soon