SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 06, 2008, 03:27 PM
Fly Smooooooooth
Mountains of Utah
Joined Mar 2004
772 Posts
Gallery
Deer Valley, Park City Utah

Here are a few photos from lunch today. I spent about 10 minutes trying to get the Slowstick to climb out but couldn't seem to get above 200 feet. Any power off gliding for photos was like an anvil coming out of the sky. I checked and fiddled with my trims and couldn't figure out what was wrong. Kept flying for a bit longer and then felt slight change in the breeze. I turned the plane around and into the wind and just watched it go up, like on an elevator. It was one heck of a thermal and considering it was only 50 degrees out it was going up quickly. In less than a minute I had more than enough height for what I wanted to shoot today and shut the power off. I flew for another 15 minutes without using the throttle at all and not really losing much altitude. Wish I had had my Zlog on there today just to know.

Fall and some construction in Utah.

Looking northwest back at Old Town Park City.

Lower Deer Valley. Loop road through a bunch of condos and hotels. Good restaurant in the V shaped building called the Stew Pot.

New St. Regis hotel being built just east and above Snow Park Lodge at Deer Valley. The tracks are for a 'Funicular' tram that will shuttle people from the hotel to the day lodge, shops, taxis and public transportation to Park City proper.

St. Regis Hotel with the Jordanelle Reservoir in the distance (east)
seerspaz is offline Find More Posts by seerspaz
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2008, 04:00 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,377 Posts
Wow! Those are really nice pictures! It won't be long and it'll all be white with snow! It'd be nice if you could get another picture when there is snow on.
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Oct 06, 2008, 04:06 PM
Fly Smooooooooth
Mountains of Utah
Joined Mar 2004
772 Posts
We got snow this weekend, only higher up than this. The elevation is around 7000' here and snow was over 9000' this weekend. Will all probably disappear this week though as we are supposed to get back to the 60's again.

I plan on getting a winter shot as the base terminal should be done by Christmas or so. I also took some shots earlier this summer of the ski jump and such and need to get those in winter too for contrast.
Old Oct 06, 2008, 07:53 PM
KLH
Pack Rat
Hayward CA / Valley Springs CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,778 Posts
Great shots!
The first time I skied Deer Valley was many years ago. It was still under construction at the time. All of the runs had been cleared and a lot of the chairlift pylons where in place, but the chairlift cables and chairs where not. As a promo thing the Deer Valley folks went around Park City and put up flyers offering snowcat rides up on the Deer Valley mountian for a day of powder sking with a box lunch. All for $25.00.
Best money I ever spent. Deer Valley's changed a little bit since then.

Kern
KLH is offline Find More Posts by KLH
Old Oct 07, 2008, 02:06 AM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
It'll be 6 times that now...
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Oct 07, 2008, 09:10 AM
Fly Smooooooooth
Mountains of Utah
Joined Mar 2004
772 Posts
A full day will ONLY be $83 US this year. So only 3.32 times the $25 And $86 over Christmas and Presidents Day weekend.
Old Oct 07, 2008, 03:21 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
That is CHEAP , compared to here
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Oct 07, 2008, 04:17 PM
KLH
Pack Rat
Hayward CA / Valley Springs CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,778 Posts
Just the rides (5-6 can't remember for sure) up the mountian in the snowcat was worth the $. The box lunch was pretty good also. That day was probably the driest powder I've ever skied on.
Thanks for the memory jog.

Kern
KLH is offline Find More Posts by KLH