HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2012, 06:53 PM
Perth, W.A.
Joined Mar 2008
249 Posts
Sorry to see your glider go in Richard. The same thing happened to me with the Ezy Glider. It was my first glider being maidened. The mistakes I made were these:

- Got "scared" of the glider going up almost vertical, the heli/powered plane reflexes kicked in and I cut power. At that point the glider turned into a piece of foam that got tossed around by the wind with no control (because of no airflow over the control surfaces) and nosed into the ground. Lesson learned: don't cut power, let the glider climb, use ailerons to keep it straight. You can always mix in some down elevator to motor-on to keep the climb less steep. Or don't use 100% throttle. Depends how powerful your power system is.

- I did not anticipate the torque reaction that tried to flip the glider over to the left. Lesson: as above.

- I chucked the glider, even though power to weight was at least 1:1. The lesson here was to first spool up to max takeoff power while still holding the glider, that takes care of the initial torque reaction, turns it into a non-event. Then just let it go out of my hand instead of chucking it forward.

Remember that until the glider picks up speed, your controls will be sluggish, due to lack of air flow over them.
I think you had at least two of the above mistakes happening unfortunately. I can sympathise with that, maidening your pride and joy can be very daunting and makes you forget the basics you learnt and practised all along. Watching your video again, the glider wasn't climbing much at all, you should see my Ezy glider take off in a 60-70 degree angle

Looks like you needed more power to get some speed happening. The glider seems to have tipstalled on you, combined with a bit of torque reaction.

Don't get disheartened by it, the Condor is a pretty nice kit especially for the money, it's worth doing an other take on it.
Hati is offline Find More Posts by Hati
Last edited by Hati; Jun 28, 2012 at 06:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2012, 02:23 AM
Deutschland, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Wuppertal
Joined Jun 2009
84 Posts
One more mistake I did at the beginning is to throw the glider upwards. Today I just trow it horizontally or a little bit to the ground in order to have some time to get my hands on the sticks.

With the condor I power up the motor to 60%, start running for 3 Steps and then give him a push. Then the bird glides and climbs in a maybe 10 deg angle. Hand on the sticks I power up to 100% and climb quick before switch of the motor and enjoy.
mucwendel is offline Find More Posts by mucwendel
Old Jun 29, 2012, 03:31 AM
Joined May 2012
48 Posts
Thanks a lot for all of your words. Even if the video is not by my condor,it's really the same of what happened to me.
True: I learnt a lot building the condor and facing all of the problems (this is true) and tuis the good part of the story.
I hate that my easyglider (built by me,not the rtf version) is flying perfectly from the first launch while a bigger (and I was hoping "better") plane fault dramatically in few seconds. I can pilot the egpro with strong wind too with a lot of fun but..the condor went down in few seconds with no chance to correct anything. :/
Right: the reasons coul be the tail plane angle, the engine angle, the engine power (too much)... lesson learnt but...at the moment...it is a lesson that cannot be applied.
Unfortunately.
I'm leaving for the holidays on the alps and i'll take the "trustable" egpro with me...
_Richard is offline Find More Posts by _Richard
Old Jul 12, 2012, 04:03 AM
Joined May 2012
48 Posts
Well... the EG Pro is definitively more "friendly" than the Condor, even on such kind of (wonderful) slopes!
It was a lot faster that flying on flat and I enjoyed a lot the flight.
Unfortunately, very dark clouds arrived and I had to land really quickly (fearing lightnings). :-)

The (wonderful) place is the one used for the Euromeeting on the Dolomites (Italy). I was the only one flying, that day... ahhhhh...
:-)
Old Sep 01, 2012, 03:50 PM
Joined Sep 2009
4 Posts
Hi guys,
I am working on my Condor for couple evenings, not much done. now i have questions.
The wing joint in the fuselage is not fitting well. it wobbles up ad down about 0.7 mm. i don't like it. should i leave it or i have to fix it? maybe i have to glue plywood with new holes instead for glass tube? it should be OK, i think.
and the second question is about flaps (already reversed). should i use them with ailerons? i think i should do about 1/2 travel from ailerons. or you using it just for brakes?
i will do the condor with motor. Have one big Turnigy motor, maybe little to big, but it will fit fuselage, 100 amp reg, metal gear Turnigy servos. planing to use 5000mah batteries. will see about flying weight, but should be normal for the wing.
servo fittings on the wings and tale will be the same. i glued the servo to plate, and i will screw the plate on the wing. i am using 4 mm plywood for reinforcement in screwing places.
still thinking how to fix wing to the fuselage. in the kit i found the hook and rubber band, but i don't trust the rubber.
few pictures... will upload more in next week
.Name: condor.jpg
Views: 126
Size: 74.0 KB
Description:

Name: motor, reg, folding prop.jpg
Views: 148
Size: 102.1 KB
Description:

Name: servo horn.jpg
Views: 170
Size: 59.7 KB
Description:

Name: turnigy servo with plate.jpg
Views: 137
Size: 106.4 KB
Description:

Name: wing flaps reversed.jpg
Views: 153
Size: 64.8 KB
Description:
unixas911 is offline Find More Posts by unixas911
Old Sep 01, 2012, 04:03 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,987 Posts
When I had a Condor 2.9 a good few years back the wing joiner was of a "floating" type: it didn't use the fuselage to hold the joiner tightly at all. Perfectly sound system.

Keep in mind that wings don't come off gliders very easily in flight. You don't need anything too massive to hold the wings in place. Racing planes usually use tape only to hold the wings on.

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Sep 01, 2012, 06:06 PM
Joined May 2012
48 Posts
Concerning flap coupled with ailerons: put the mix under a switch. Then you will be able to roll just with ailerons and,if you will need a quicker answer in rolling the condor,you will be able to pur the flaps in the game too...
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:57 AM
Joined Sep 2009
4 Posts
Hi
I have already maiden my new glider. i was not OK first, i fly few planes, all are aerobatic or 3d planes from 1 meter to 1.5 meter. so this one is the larger plane i have flown. the excitement was so big, that i can't feel my legs whats why i done a lot of mistakes on landing. i have broke the wing joining rod. i fave small and shaky video, but you can see my mistakes clearly. i did not damaged the bird, only the rod. and know, i want to discuss few questions. first - the plane was terribly sensitive to my controls and surroundings. i have the center of gravity at 85-86mm from the edge. so i think it's ok to pro glider, but i will start another attempt at 82-83mm. it should be more calm??
ithe next problem is the nose. in any bigger speed i tries to go up. so i was always playing with the rudder. if speed ir slow, i can manage the level flight, if i speed a little the bird starts to go up with the nose. should i correct the tail angle to 0 or 2 to have this problem go? or this is because the CG? i don't have the toll for measuring angles on surfaces, but i think the angle now beaten wing and elevator is is about 6 degr.
and... there i will get the new rod ?? in local stores we have max diameters of glass or carbon fiber like 8mm. i can put the metal rod inside, but i think if i crash once more, the damage should be more big than this time.
so, please explain about CG. should i move it forward, or decrease tail angle from 5 to 1 or 2. or i should do it on zero with wing?

now video, and few photos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=kaR0DmLu4Gs
unixas911 is offline Find More Posts by unixas911
Last edited by unixas911; Sep 22, 2012 at 04:07 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:46 PM
Joined Apr 2010
4 Posts
I have recently completed and flown my Condor model, it is glider version set up for slope and aerotow. (The advice in this thread has been very helpful)
For the first flight on the slope it flew very well and I am totaly happy with it, the only adjustment required was some down trim.
Control response is good, it loops and rolls nicely (on the first test flight!). CG is at 82mm which is forward end of the range, pull up from the dive test is positive but not too rapid.
Ailerons flaps and rudder are mixed together and roll rate is good, but I may need to experiment a bit more to see if rudder movement is correct as there is a slight tendancy for the nose to drop toward the inside of the turn.
Tried a couple of stalls, nothing bad, just went mushy on controls and dropped the nose with very little wing drop.
Crow mixing is set up (flaps bottom hinged) and some down elevator mixed in, no adjustment required.
This has been a nice step up from the 60 inch slopies I usually fly. I could not have hoped for a better first flight, this model is great value for the money.
Flying weight is 2370gm.
kahu1958 is offline Find More Posts by kahu1958
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:41 PM
Blenheim, NZ
Joined Dec 2007
1,184 Posts
Pictures, you need picture right!
Here is Mr Kahu with his new fledgling.
One happy pilot and rightly so, it flew beautifully out climbing everyone else on the slope.
Aero tow next!
You have to wondr how Fly Fly do these things for the money. The quality is good on this one and the brakes are brilliant with the flaps up the other way. He even guessed the elevator compoensation spot on. That never happens for me!

Allan

PS You will not the dark colour film added under the wings to inprove visability. It reall helps.
AllanK1 is offline Find More Posts by AllanK1
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:53 AM
Reached Composite Addiction
Portugal, Lisbon
Joined Apr 2007
317 Posts
Could U guys please post your data...
I would like to know the final model maiden CG, weight, travels and compensations.

I have the glider version also, and this info is less available...
Everyone else is flying the brushless version!

Thanks,
LAYER
layer is offline Find More Posts by layer
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:40 AM
Joined May 2012
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixas911 View Post
Hello,
I've seen that you had the two tail servos in the fin.
How much weight did you have to add in the front part to balance those tail servos?
Mine was really "tail-weighted" even with the rudder servo in the front...
Thanks in advance for the info.
Ciao!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:56 AM
Reached Composite Addiction
Portugal, Lisbon
Joined Apr 2007
317 Posts
I I have only the elevator servo in the tail, and rudder in front to attenuate that tendency...
There was a thread Ive came across, that mentioned T tails are more sensible to elevator trims and travels...
Not an expert, but I have another T tail that stalled a lot due to this simple fact, to much elevator travel input would send it like a spinning rocket to the ground...

LAYER
layer is offline Find More Posts by layer
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:27 AM
Joined Apr 2010
4 Posts
My Condor's initial setup:
Rudder travel 24mm left and right, 20% expo
Elevator 15mm up, 10mm down, 40% expo
Aileron 12mm up, 6mm down (measured at outboard trailing edge), 20% expo
Flap mixed as aileron 6mm up and down (measured at inboard T/E)
Rudder mixed with aileron 8mm Left and right (to much???)
Full Crow mix Aileron up 22mm, flap down 40mm (bottom hinged), elev down 4mm.
Saving weight - The elevator servo is in the tail (HXT900) and use 2mm carbon pushrod. I changed the Stab attaching bolts for nylon bolts, I removed the central vertical parts of two of the ply frames and keels in the aft fuselage. I replaced the rudder control rods with Pull-Pull cable (50Lb spiderwire fishing line) to a bellcrank mounted central near the back of the servo tray and drive this with a JR DS3201 servo on the left of the servo tray. The FrSky D8R-II receiver is mounted under the servo tray, telemetry hub (and vario sensor) mounted forward of the servo tray, as is the Tow release servo. In the nose is lead ballast molded to fit, and Tow release, and directly behind that is a 2300MaH NiMh 4 cell battery (switch on servo tray). Wing servos are 15 gram metal geared units. Also fitted pilot figure.
Also added a brace accross the fuselage at the wing root leading edge.
CG is at 82mm (per instructions forward end of range) and flying wieght is 2370gm.
Last edited by kahu1958; Oct 16, 2012 at 11:40 PM. Reason: adding content
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Apr 2010
4 Posts
Condor Aerotow and Thermal soaring.

Yesterday was my first attempt at flying aerotow glider (I usually fly the tow plane).
I flew the Condor and it was very good.
We used a trolley on the ground, once we had flying speed it just needed a small up elevator control to lift it off then I barely touched the elevator for the rest of the tow as the Condor just stayed in the high tow position as I used aileron control to steer it.
I am not a thermal glider flyer but did manage to find thermals on two of the three flights I had. In one I managed to maintain height for several minutes, the other one I managed a climb from maybe 300 feet or so to maybe 700 feet. (90 to 200 metres).
The Condor works well for an absolute beginner to aerotow and thermalling, I would recomend it as a first aerotow glider, to get experience before going to bigger or more expensive scale machines or just for fun.