HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2003, 03:47 PM
E-flyer since 1981
Joined Oct 2000
1,492 Posts
Remember the Radio control model airplane terror bombs?... well ...

Remember the Radio control model airplane terror bombs?... well ...

These new headlines on Debkafiles website

Israel investigating three barrels found in home of senior Hamas operative Nidal Farkhat suspecting they may be filled with poison chemicals for remote-controlled model plane to spray inside Israel.

Earlier Sunday, Farkhat and five other Hamas terrorists were killed in car explosion in Al-Zeitun district of Gaza City, while assembling model aircraft and loading it with explosives.
Michael in Toronto is online now Find More Posts by Michael in Toronto
Old Feb 16, 2003, 11:45 PM
Function Over Form
Connecticut
Joined Feb 2000
1,043 Posts
I bet it would be fun to put a M-80 in an old model airplane, and blow it up in mid air.
Actually would be much more fun to Shoot it with a 12 guage shotgun, and pretend the airplane is flying thru flak in ww2!
BillH is offline Find More Posts by BillH
Old Feb 17, 2003, 01:10 AM
Melbourne, Victoria, Oz.
Joined Oct 2000
313 Posts
Dispersing POISON ANYTHING with model aircraft is a Hollywood dream and so impractical in the real world as to be not worth consideration. There is a very interesting post in this forum placed by Pork Tornado, that describes the difficulties in what you describe. Delivering explosive "anything" by model aircraft is just as ludicrous. think about it, practically nil payload with no accuracy. supose it hits a roof, which is more likely over a town or city, it would stuff up a few tiles, a lot of time and expense to let the rain in

hugh
Oneson1 is offline Find More Posts by Oneson1
Old Feb 17, 2003, 02:17 AM
Will work for planes
Fullerton, California, United States
Joined Jan 2002
1,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BillH
I bet it would be fun to put a M-80 in an old model airplane, and blow it up in mid air.
Actually would be much more fun to Shoot it with a 12 guage shotgun, and pretend the airplane is flying thru flak in ww2!
That does sound fun.
omega blood is offline Find More Posts by omega blood
Old Feb 17, 2003, 09:43 AM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
A 'friend of mine' once launched a salvo of bottle rockets from a wire cradle under a wing using a model rocket igniter, spare battery, and servo-operated microswitch...

Oneson1:
Inflicting mass casualties is one thing. Causing widespread fear is another matter. Half a dozen anthrax letters and a few deaths brought the USPS to a standstill, even though the risk was minimal to the average person.

My guess is that if one were to trigger an aerosol can of lysol while flying over a crowd, RC modelling as we know it would come to a quick end.
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old Feb 17, 2003, 10:39 AM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
I deleted a personal attack post made in this thread and am closing it till things cool down.
Don
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Feb 17, 2003, 04:56 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Time to open this back up.
Don
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Feb 17, 2003, 05:09 PM
Function Over Form
Connecticut
Joined Feb 2000
1,043 Posts
Quote:
A 'friend of mine' once launched a salvo of bottle rockets from a wire cradle under a wing using a model rocket igniter, spare battery, and servo-operated microswitch...
My early days expirimenting with Air to ground rockets for model airplane use, was squelched when one time I had to call the fire department. Not because of safety reasons, but just to save myself from the imbarrasment of one of the firefighters handing me the nose cone to the culprit rocket.
I did other things too, but not going to comment on those
Old Feb 17, 2003, 05:10 PM
E-flyer since 1981
Joined Oct 2000
1,492 Posts
As I posted in another thread, a CNN website story confirms:

"Earlier Sunday, Hamas blamed Israel for an explosion that killed six militants and wounded three others in the Gaza neighborhood of al-Zeitun, and vowed to avenge the "assassinations."

Palestinian sources said Hamas members were inspecting a small remote-control airplane when it exploded, killing the six.

There was no evidence of an Israeli attack, and it was possible the men were assembling a bomb that exploded prematurely. The IDF said it had no comment on the explosion."

It seems that whenever Palestinian terrorists blow themselves up, they blame Israel and call it "assassinations."
Michael in Toronto is online now Find More Posts by Michael in Toronto
Old Feb 17, 2003, 05:34 PM
Function Over Form
Connecticut
Joined Feb 2000
1,043 Posts
Quote:
It seems that whenever Palestinian terrorists blow themselves up, they blame Israel and call it "assassinations."
Saddam will do the same exact thing with his human shields.
Old Feb 17, 2003, 07:22 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Quote:
My early days expirimenting with Air to ground rockets for model airplane use, was squelched when one time I had to call the fire department. Not because of safety reasons, but just to save myself from the imbarrasment of one of the firefighters handing me the nose cone to the culprit rocket.
I did other things too, but not going to comment on those
Got around that by flying over a lake off floats. Made sure the woods were wet from an overnight rain as well. We had a township permit for launching our own (those were the days, -sigh-), though it didn't say anything specific about airborne launches...
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old Feb 17, 2003, 09:12 PM
Got helium filled wings?
arvada,co.
Joined Dec 2002
210 Posts
when i was a kid....

got a free ride in police car after launching estes rocket with payload
took aluminum foil and cut it into confetti and stuffed into Big Bertha with D engine
sent it up near seabrook airport in new orleans
was hoping to see sparkling cloud
saw every official of airport after wiping out radar screen for two minutes until aluminum confetti landed
could not sit down for 3 days after police delivered me home

sad how other cultures use a thing we think of as "toy"
they really hate other people that much to try any way to harm someone else

Hate is a blinding emotion, it eclipses all reason.
In war it is the backbone of courage.
In peace it can only cause war.

peace is when you die, all else is the journey to it.
are you traveling well
so sad
airboss is offline Find More Posts by airboss
Old Feb 17, 2003, 09:45 PM
Function Over Form
Connecticut
Joined Feb 2000
1,043 Posts
Ah, you made a Chaff Rocket. thats amazing it worked so well.

Well, talking about payloads, you ever notice how the blowback charge for shooting out the parachute can also do a darn fine job with lighting fuses?
Old Feb 17, 2003, 10:20 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,207 Posts
Quote:
...you ever notice how the blowback charge for shooting out the parachute can also do a darn fine job with lighting fuses?
Yup!
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Feb 18, 2003, 10:07 AM
United States, GA, Tucker
Joined Apr 2000
353 Posts
What's the difference between a tool (or toy) and a weapon?

The kind of nut that holds the trigger...
Phil G is offline Find More Posts by Phil G