HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2001, 05:04 PM
ovid MI USA
Joined May 2000
622 Posts
sloping in michigan? What plane?

I have been fasinated by slope soaring for a few years now. I just heard sleeping bear dunes offers good conditions. I dont know what type of plane to use? I would like it to be aerobatic if possible. I would say I am an intermidiate to advanced flier, but have only played with my zagi on some small hills. Any info would be great! ---Mike

Yeah, I cant spell.
Superbike is offline Find More Posts by Superbike
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2001, 08:01 AM
North Aurora, IL
Joined Mar 2000
400 Posts
Mike, a few guys at my LHS go up ther to slope in MI and they are flying a sloper called the Fun-1 from Charlie Richardson. IT is a glass fuse, 60" sheeted foam wing design sloper. Very aerobatic, very fun to fly (hence the name)Go to www.alshobbyshop.com or call them to see if they have any in stock.
jimmy6819 is offline Find More Posts by jimmy6819
Old Jun 10, 2001, 01:27 PM
owosso, mich
Joined Mar 1999
416 Posts
i would assume the hills are small, a hlg would be the best bet to start off, my multiplex dart will slope in 3mph wind and 20mph with no ballest, and it will do most aerobatics.. its a clean design. i just flew my 1/4 discus yesterday, man now that;s flyin. come down to az next vaction and we will slope. what about mt holly? from what i remember that;s a good hill. also there is that landfill hill on m-21 heading to flint, that would slope a hlg, no problem.
wiley is offline Find More Posts by wiley
Old Jun 12, 2001, 03:24 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,462 Posts
Hey Superbike
I remember trying to climb the Sleeping Bear Dunes many years ago and was amazed how darned difficult it was due to the depth of the sand.

And you want to go up there with a model ?

Try sloping off the top of the Renaissance Center. At least they have elevators.
ChrisP is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP
Old Jun 12, 2001, 03:32 PM
I have no friends
United States, MI, Holland
Joined Dec 1996
3,237 Posts
When you are from Michigan the dunes are not hard to climb, we have webbed feet after all.
mt_100 is online now Find More Posts by mt_100
Old Jun 13, 2001, 06:26 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,462 Posts
Oh THAT explains why the rental car guy at Metro Airport asked me if I could drive a car with a manual transmission ?

He wasn't interested in my driving prowess, but that I might be a Michigander and my webbed feet wouldn't be able to operate 3 pedals ?

I see, I see !
Old Jun 13, 2001, 02:09 PM
I have no friends
Joined Dec 1996
3,237 Posts
HA! Sounds like someone enjoyed that comment!

Actually Sleeping Bear Dunes are very large. The wind blows off the lake from the West and the whole shoreline is a dune line on the west side of the state. All of them are very steep on the lake side, but the inland side is not at all so it's not a hard walk.

Jim Petro (I think it was him) mentioned Sleeping bear Dunes one time as one of the ultimate slope soaring locations so they are good. South of where I live(Holland) in Saugatuck there is Mt. Baldy. It's not a realy mountain, just a huge sand dune and a awesome site to fly if you get the chance.
Old Jun 15, 2001, 04:15 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,462 Posts
mt_100
Yeah, I did enjoy the comment

As an obvious expert in the strange ways of Michigan - and particularly regarding your comments on webbed feet - I did want to ask you if :

A. That's the REAL reason why men from Michigan are called Michi-Ganders, and if

B. The women of Michigan are called Michi - Geese ? (My guide book is not clear on this).
Old Jun 23, 2001, 09:38 AM
ovid MI USA
Joined May 2000
622 Posts
I guess i forgot to click email notification!
Holland area has some cliffs over the lake? how are they? I have been there once, but I dont remember where it was exactly.

Wiley, I will check out that plane. Are you moving up? I dont think you can get in the land fill. Mt. Holly? maybe! It is pretty steep on the west side better bring a foamie!

I read about kieth Shaw sloaping at sleeping bear, I wonder how good it is? I will have to get somthing together.
Old Oct 01, 2001, 11:41 PM
owosso, mich
Joined Mar 1999
416 Posts
mike, took a look at mt holly

and it looks like a excellent place to fly, lets see if we can go before snow.
wiley is offline Find More Posts by wiley
Old Oct 19, 2002, 05:59 AM
Green Bay, WI
Joined Dec 2000
433 Posts
Hey Guys
I can't believe that a search on these forms only comes up with 3 hits for sleeping bear! As far as the dunes go the sign at the top by observation platform says its 550 ft down to the shorline. We (6 of us) went there the same weekend as the Detroit waterfly it was awsome, flew Dymond's Raven, Crazy, Take it Easy, 5 different Zagi 400's, and several other sailplanes.
The first day we were there the wind was South to SW and very light had to cheat on several occations and actually power up a couple of times. The second day was perfect no power used it is strange to be able to spec your plane out below you and still climb right back up. The lift was so good even out as far a you could see your plane the lift was there.
Just can't wait to get back there, as the slopes on this side of the lake are not as common and only about 80 to 90 ft and you need a east wind.
Ed Mc
rccrashed is offline Find More Posts by rccrashed
Last edited by rccrashed; Oct 19, 2002 at 06:02 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2002, 06:53 AM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,905 Posts
mt_100,

If you are still following this thread. I took a drive down to Mt Baldy last year about this time after this thread first started and did not find what I thought was a good place to fly. I walked all the way up the steps at Mt Baldy (carrying my 2 year old son!)and found it all covered with trees. So I must have been at the wrong place. Can you give my driving directions from US31?

I forgot about the site until this thread popped back up.

Thanks, Joe
JoeR is online now Find More Posts by JoeR
Old Oct 19, 2002, 09:25 AM
ovid MI USA
Joined May 2000
622 Posts
I still have not made it either. There will be a trip up north soon. Or uh well, spring! ---Mike
Old Oct 21, 2002, 07:10 AM
in front of p c
Joined Aug 2002
151 Posts
lake huron

hey superbike,i know this is off topic because you said that you were looking for a slope plane but if i was you i would fly a thermal ship,maybe a 2 metre or something thats a little slower than your average sloper.

i live in ontario canada and in the fall we fly the slopes of lake huron and i can tell you that is great in the fall,there are water spouts from the warm water in the cold fall air that will take you way beyond the height of the ridge lift,i have flown my hangglider a grand over a 60 ft bluff!

watch the weather reports and wait for a cold front,go flying and you will be amazed!,one of the advantages of living in the north is the great variations in tempeture fledge
fledge is offline Find More Posts by fledge
Old Oct 21, 2002, 11:51 AM
I have no friends
Joined Dec 1996
3,237 Posts
WOW, been awhile since I have seen this thread.

There are a few places that have been flown on Baldy, one of them was used in S & E Modeller a few years ago. To be honest, it's a hike from the top of the stairs, all 1500 of them.

I would honestly have to go scout to find the spot.

A few locations....

1. Castle Park on south side of Holland, about a 70' dune with smooth face.

2. Tunnel Park on north side of holland, same size really, but a better site. This is a county park and they will only let you fly in off season, summer is busy from sunrise to sunset.

3. Ludington near the Au Sable river and state park. Several dunes on the east side of the road, a long sandy hike however. Also a few in the park itself, VERY long hike.

4. Sleeping Bear. Best in Michigan that I have seen, I bet there is better in the UP in the Porqupine Mountains though.