HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2008, 10:00 AM
More jets than a carburetor
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2008
2,809 Posts
Discussion
HET Mig-29 Vs FlyFly Mig 29

At one point in time I was sold on getting a HET Mig-29, mainly because it is a twin EDF, is of decent size, and it can have retracts.

All the sudden I have great interest in the fly fly mig 29. I understand there is a size difference, but it seems to be what I am looking for as well.

The only differences I can come up with are the size, and the materials each is made out of. If I went with the fly fly, I would fiberglass cloth the whole airframe.

I've heard both good and bad things about each:
the Fly Fly tailerons are known to break.
the Het's wings are known to fold in flight. (Het is notorious for quality control issues in general, especially with newer kits).

In terms of price,they come out about the same price, as the fly fly comes with fans and the kit cost less. The HET does not come with fans and the kit cost more. So its very close in terms of price.

The main obstical I would have with the fly fly is transportation to the field, so I would probably have to make the wings detachable. It has to fit in the trunk of a ford tauras.

here is what I am looking for:
Larger size EDF
Handles more wind
Takes off from grass (very short)
Has retracts.
Speed.

Can someone comment on why I should choose one over the other?
skydve76 is offline Find More Posts by skydve76
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2008, 10:15 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2002
862 Posts
If you are looking for speed then it has to be HET.
even if you glass the foam, it is still foam !

just my 2 cents !
wilerbee is offline Find More Posts by wilerbee
Old Oct 06, 2008, 12:32 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2007
634 Posts
Well Jepe seams to think that the foam has got great potential, after you glass the airframe and put in a decent power plant, i think it has huge potential too.
you might want to have a look at what he is doing and maybe even get the plane & fan from him too. if you want power and speed your not gona get it from that flyfly fan and motor. here is his site

http://jepe.org/index.htm

Simon
EDF Crazy is offline Find More Posts by EDF Crazy