SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 06, 2008, 06:29 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,965 Posts
Contest
Funbuild II - V.A.(Supermarine) Walrus

This plan has been kicking around for a few years now and has more the look-and-feel of an old pirate treasure map It was published in 1957 so is over 50 years old and the design shows it!

I'd love to hear from anyone who is able to access the original magazine this was featured in - Aeromodeller May 1957 the plan says.

A 38" free-flight model, this version of the Walrus was powered by a 1cc diesel so is ideal for a low-power electric conversion. A Walrus model wont win any points for originality of subject but I've always wanted to build one and the funbuild might be just the shove I need to get out of my current "builder block"

I have pinned up the plan and will give it some long hard looks while I finish a couple of outstanding projects. Float Flyer's larger version is a beaytiful work in progress:
( http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=walrus)

FF's version will be much more accurate as I feel lots of scale design compromises were made back in '57 but a 'Shagbat' can only be mistaken for a 'Steam-Pigeon' - irrespective of how far off-scale it is

So, 38" span, land-based undercarriage and maybe four-channel. I'd built an electrified Lysander from a free-flight plan of similar vintage as my first major scale project and it flew fine so there is hope for this old bird!

Pat (Now how to do this....)
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Oct 18, 2008 at 10:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2008, 06:41 AM
Expat Canuck
Faial, Azores
Joined Oct 2006
550 Posts
Pat,

I'm afraid I don't have the article, but I have the same plan, in better shape than yours, scanned into the computer. It is a 10.5 meg jpeg. Let me know if you are interested.

Roly, looking out at the first really blustery day of Autumn here.
Milhafre is offline Find More Posts by Milhafre
Old Oct 06, 2008, 09:57 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
7/6 for the plan (or 37.5 new pence today)...if we could only still buy them at that price!!

I've always liked this aircraft too - a real classic with bags of character and who can ever resist a bipe? Go for it, Pat!

On a side note, I have an FMS simulator model for this plane which flies very well indeed. If you haven't already got it let me know and I'll mail it to you - might be handy for a little orientation practise before you fly the model.

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Oct 06, 2008, 04:03 PM
New Zealand, Otago, Harwood
Joined Sep 2004
2,406 Posts
Here you are Pat, I hope you weren't holding your breath for the info!
It's not exactly a "build thread"
Kiwi is online now Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old Oct 06, 2008, 04:58 PM
Trying to build & to fly
Italy
Joined Sep 2007
796 Posts
Nice challenge!
tacchino is offline Find More Posts by tacchino
Old Oct 06, 2008, 05:15 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,965 Posts
Thanks for the offers of help everyone
Roly - I'll keep your offer in reserve - I can read my pirate map OK but will manually trace much of it onto plain paper as I'd like to change some rib spacings etc for ailerons. The big thing the plan shows is the large incidence angle of the wing and the motor up and side thrust.

Kiwi - Boy! they accepted brief articles in those days but it actually cleared up a couple of points - thanks.

Steve - I use FMS (V 7 or 8) - I would appreciate the file I'll PM my Email if you dont already have it.

This morning is fine and calm - I may even try and fly something

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A Small Diversion From Annie
Old Oct 06, 2008, 05:56 PM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Pat ,

Great subject !!! Glad to have you aboard the FunBuild Can't wait to see this one take shape

-John
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Oct 07, 2008, 07:18 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
I love that article! Makes it sound like you can build it in 20 minutes... It certainly looks 'the biz' in that flying shot though.

Electric power is a definite advantage with these pushers - I recall a guy in my old club doing more damage to his DH2 while trying to hand-start it than it ever received when flying.

Steve
Old Oct 07, 2008, 06:46 PM
It actually Flies!
Salmon Arm, British Columbia, Canada
Joined Feb 2006
548 Posts
Hi Maltone,

Fantastic subject!! I might actually be shamed into finishing my Walrus finally.

I have been transitioning careers this fall and hope to have much more time on my hands now.

Lets keep each other encouraged. If there is any info I can supply please let me know, I have collected a lot on the shagbat in the past while.

BTW, finally in the fuselage sanding stage.

Good on you mate! Lets go!!

Float Flyer
Float Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Float Flyer
Old Oct 07, 2008, 08:40 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Float Flyer
Hi Maltone,

Fantastic subject!! I might actually be shamed into finishing my Walrus finally.
Considering what a great job you were doing on it, and what superb work Pat does, they should both be wonderful to see!

Geoff
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Oct 07, 2008, 09:50 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,965 Posts
Thinking out Loud

FF - your thread has been giving me plenty of ideas and if I can help spur you on, then that is a bonus

The original plan is a small free-flight model and so adapts well to lightweight RC but there are many challenges - designing movable control surfaces for starters. This usually means rearranging the spars and ribs so I may as well go for scale-ish rib count while I'm at it. The elevator is always tricky but may opt for a flexible wire-in-a-tube solution with an internal crank. The rudder and water rudder had separate horns and cables but I want to join them and may use the rudder horn only - it is above the water line too! Not that this bird is likely to see much water but I'll try and do the right things in case I float it in the bath

As with many biplanes, getting the various cables down through struts is problematical but I may use 1/2" al airfoil-section tube and run them in that. The aileron servos can go in the lower wing but would need non-scale link rods to the upper wing. Unless I opt for ailerons on lower only?

Given that the free fight version balanced OK, I'll make provision for the battery to be anywhere under or forward of the wing position. A hatch between the cockpit and the wing struts should be enough access for battery.

On another note, my very closest town-house neighbor served on the HMAS Canberra and paid-off BEFORE WW2! He is 92 and remebers his best job was in charge of Walrus recovery at sea - as a crane operator. I will have a chat to see if he has pictures of aircraft he worked with. Adds a bit of human interest.

Pat (still thinking)
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A Small Diversion From Annie
Old Oct 07, 2008, 09:59 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,728 Posts
There is a Depron model in FSM -- was a free plan -- and I believe there may be a build thread on this forum that included a copy of the early plan. It might provide some insight regarding how to proceed.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Oct 08, 2008, 12:10 AM
Dog is my co-pilot.
United States, GA, Brooks
Joined Mar 2005
879 Posts
Look here for some reference material.

djm

http://seawings.co.uk/
mrdj is offline Find More Posts by mrdj
Old Oct 08, 2008, 03:03 AM
It actually Flies!
Salmon Arm, British Columbia, Canada
Joined Feb 2006
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltone

As with many biplanes, getting the various cables down through struts is problematical but I may use 1/2" al airfoil-section tube and run them in that. The aileron servos can go in the lower wing but would need non-scale link rods to the upper wing. Unless I opt for ailerons on lower only?

Pat (still thinking)
Hi Pat, I am thinking that I am going to try and hide the upper aileron link rod in the aft wing struts. It is wider than the front ones so might just work.

I decided to use a push pull cable for the Elevator, but I chickened out in making it internal. I thought I would have too many elevator adjustments given the short coupled arrangement of the aircraft.

Still working out the Rudder and Tail wheel/water rudder arrangement myself. Hoping to keep it internal.

I did make the folding up flaps fold up for hinging the wing back for storage. Magnets keep them in place.

Are you going with working Landing Gear? The angles are fun...

Cheers!

FF
Float Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Float Flyer
Old Oct 08, 2008, 03:15 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Is that a genuine 'Leonardo DaLynchi' sketch, Pat? Will be worth millions in years to come..

Just going by your sketch, regarding the elevator snake and it's curvature, a 90 degree bend will give less 'slop', reducing the slight side-to-side movement of the inner wire in the tube (all depends upon how close the tube/inner fit is though, and how thick a tube you plan on using). I use a very fine plastic tube/wire for model train turnout control and incorporating a 90 degree (or even more) bend cuts out any excess play in the system.

Steve