|Dec 10, 2008, 05:29 PM|
when you do the 'tear' effect, how do you get both sides to match up? By using a stencil?
How would you make a stencil that would work on the curve of a canopy? Trial and error?
|Dec 10, 2008, 05:37 PM|
What I did with my first was use the negative image (Microsoft paint) and print it out in a suitable size, lay some 2" painters tape down on glass and either cut the tear out on the glass and then apply (can be very tricky) or draw it on the tape and apply it to the canopy and then very gently use an exacto to cut just the tape and try not to cut too deep into the canopy. You can use one of our images for reference or something you find on the internet. You can also get rolls of frisket or transfer paper from most craft stores that work pretty well on curved surfaces but the low tack has a tendancy to lift up on a sharp edge.
Im sure the OP will have some thoughts as well.
|Dec 10, 2008, 08:09 PM|
I do exactly what Justin describes in the first method.
Here's the steps:
- Take a profile (from the side) picture of the canopy on the heli
- Open that picture in a paint/photo editing program
- Draw a pattern on the canopy
- Print the pattern out to test size/fit on the real canopy and adjust as needed
- Once the size/fit is to your liking, use the paint/photo program and "flip" the pattern to get a mirror image
- Print 2 patterns, one for each side
- Put tape (I use blue painters tape) down on glass or a cutting mat, over lapping the edges to make a piece of tape big enough for the pattern
- Lay a print on top of the tape and tape that down so it doesn't move
- Using a very sharp X-acto knife, cut out the pattern. Make sure to use enough pressure to cut thru both the print and the tape underneath
- Carefully lift off the cut out tape pattern from the glass or mat
- Transfer it to the canopy
- Repeat for the other side
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|FS: Lots of Micro Heli Canopies||Hooters Driver||Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W)||11||Oct 25, 2004 10:16 PM|
|Question Cheap source of heli canopies???||14U2NV||Micro Helis||5||May 03, 2004 01:56 PM|
|Micro Heli Canopies||darthdrk||Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W)||1||Nov 27, 2003 01:50 AM|
|Subject: New Canopy Decals for Micro Heli Canopies...||born2net||Electric Heli Talk||1||Sep 26, 2002 01:45 PM|