Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 05, 2001, 07:48 AM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
Are 9 or 10 Cells ok on geared Astro 020 BL?

I've bench tested my 6T geared 020 with 10xRC2000 and kept the amps to just under 15 (with an APC 9x6). I read a whopping 174w with that pack and the torque felt like it would have picked up my bench. The motor got pretty hot too. I'm thinking about trying 9 cells. Will the 020 handle it? I'm not going to use RC2000's, it was just for testing. I'm going to use 800ar's in my plane. I tried my 8x800ar pack and max'd out at 12amps & 105w but nowhere near as much torque. Sure would like to get that kind of power out of the 020 if it could handle it.

On a previous post Andy & Chris said to just keep the amps to about 15. I know that the 174w is watts in but Astro's website says 120w in for the 6T. Astro's table on their website show's 7 cells. I guess if I just keep the amps under 15 then I should be able to use 9 or 10 cells, right?

Thanks.
Sal C is offline Find More Posts by Sal C
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2001, 08:04 AM
Quebec, QC, Canada
Joined Mar 2001
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sal C:
I've bench tested my 6T geared 020 with 10xRC2000 and kept the amps to just under 15 (with an APC 9x6).
Are you sure it's a 6T pylon wind? It's hard to understand how you could be spinning a 9x6 with 10 cells and still have the current under 15A if that's the case.

Cheers --- Larry

Larry Marshall is offline Find More Posts by Larry Marshall
Old Jun 05, 2001, 09:08 AM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
That's what Kirk (New Creations) told me. The Astro BL motors don't have markings on the motor itself, it's on the box. Remember it's geared.

Thanks
Old Jun 05, 2001, 04:26 PM
Dallas, Texas, USA
Joined Feb 2000
363 Posts
Learned something about this motor recently. (Called AstroBob since I didn't know anything about the motor)

It is a 100 watt continuous rated motor (and like most AF products, conservatively rated) and can handle about 15 or so amps without any problems so long as it is for short durations and that is the static load. As far as RPM's, it can handle quite a few. So 10 cells are not a problem, however don't use many more than 10, as that is going above ratings - like going above 15 amps, you run a risk.

First, the number of turns in the motor (6 turn or 7 turn) is normally rubber stamped on the back of the motor. It is a black number ("6" or "7") and is on the end plate where the wires come out. This number does rub off easily so it may not be there depending on how the motor was handled.

I just setup a 6T Pylon 020 with the 4.4:1 planetary inline gearbox in a powered glider for a friend. It is being powered with 10 Sanyo 600AE's and right off the charger the amps are at 16.5 at 10.5 volts. The motor amps calm down to the 15 range and he easily gets 150 watts out of the motor.

Now, this is for short term full throttle use (kinda like LMR) to get altitude and then glide around. He flies it at 50% throttle very easily, which should put the amps at under 10 and the total watts at the 100 mark (which is what the motor is rated for when used continuously with ventilation).
I have the plane setup with a Graupner CAM Pro 12x8 Folding Prop. The thrust is incredible at full throttle right off the charger. He gets several climbs to altitude on this setup (6+) and on a high speed pass at full throttle, the plane is screaming by. The motor does not get too hot as it is ventilated and the smaller batteries won't supply enough power long enough to do any damage. It is a great motor, I just wish I could afford a few of them to replace all my speed 400 stuff... ah, but that's life!

Cash
Cash Traylor is offline Find More Posts by Cash Traylor
Old Jun 05, 2001, 05:48 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
Thanks Cash, a very informative reply indeed. But at that kind of power how can this motor be labeled as a S400 replacement? It seems that it blows away what a S400 can supply!

I just checked my geared motor but the stamped number is not readable, it's smeared. My other direct drive reads 5, is that possible? It really looks like a 5 and not 6.

[This message has been edited by Sal C (edited 06-05-2001).]
Old Jun 05, 2001, 09:33 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,250 Posts
I've run my 6T on 10 cells with 3.7/1 gears with a 9x5 Graupner folder and had 12A draw. The motor and ESC can handle it. The BEC can't. If you will run 10 cells use a small rx pack. You'd be taking your chances with 9 cells without a rx pack. The motor can handle quite a bit of heat and rpm.

It is possible you have a 5T motor but only if you asked for it. The only standard production motors are 6T and 7T.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Jun 06, 2001, 09:05 AM
Dallas, Texas, USA
Joined Feb 2000
363 Posts
If you DO have a 5 turn motor, check those amps! I don't think 10 cells would be a good idea on it as it would be a "hotter" motor than normal. Maybe 9 at max, but if you use 800AR's then maybe 8 cells would be a better match. Also, keep in mind that the rubber stamp is not high res to begin with. If you think it is smeared, it may really be a 6 turn motor, but the mark is distorted. What motor did you ask for? Unless you asked, and paid, for a custom 5 turn - it is probably a 6. IMHO

Glad to help!

Oh, that plane IS using BEC off the controller/ESC and is driving an older FMA RX with 4 Cirrus 10BB (micro) servos. Is this above the normal limit, yes. However, the amount of servo "input" on this plane is very minimal (less than 1 amp total) and rarely is there a lot of active control of the plane during the first few (high voltage) climbs. Risky - Yep, but it works, and has worked for a while (about 30 flights at over 15 minutes each flight). I could have just been lucky and got an "extra" good ESC that handles it.

I think the cooling for the ESC is the most important when you are pushing the envelope on specs. Keep in mind that when a BEC is rated at 2 servos at 10 cells,it is often refering to standard mini servos, not high end micro servos.

Cash
Cash Traylor is offline Find More Posts by Cash Traylor
Old Jun 06, 2001, 08:48 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cash Traylor:
...Unless you asked, and paid, for a custom 5 turn - it is probably a 6. IMHO...Cash
Cash,
I have two 020's. The geared is supposedly a 6T. That's what I asked for from Kirk. There is barely a marking on it. The other one is direct drive and I bought it from Tower. Sure looks like a 5 to me (it was ordered as a 6).

Thanks.
Old Jun 07, 2001, 07:41 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,250 Posts
Put a prop on it like 4.7x4.7 and run it on 7 cells, 600AE. If you get 25A you have a 5T if you get 18-19 you have a 6T.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Jun 07, 2001, 08:37 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
Cool. Thanks Greg.