HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by lmopar69, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 04, 2008, 06:22 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,839 Posts
Cool
More planes in the Bagram RC Club...

So, again, thank you to Shovelheadfreak for sending some planes over for us. These pictures are of my Lee Stangel Hummingbird kit Im working on and Matt Coles Hobby-Lobby Super Cub he is working on.

Both are turning out quite nicely and both should be done sometime this week, depending on our schedules.

The Cub is Matts first kit build ever. He saw it when it came and freaked because he LOVES Cubs. Unfortunatly, we didnt have enough yellow covering for him to do the entire thing yellow. Its all good though, its taught him how to add some detail to a covering job.

My Hummingbird is a really neat little kit. 30ish inch wingspan and I love the long nose on it. Really gives it an interresting look. It is supposed to be built with some dihedral, but I dont like dihedral! So, I "took it out". I'll be powering this one with an AXI 2208/34 with a 8 or 9" prop. Should fly quite nicely and balance out really easily.

More to follow later!

Laine.
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2008, 07:47 PM
Micro Flyer "Q"
United States, MD, Silver Spring
Joined Sep 2003
1,350 Posts
Hi Laine,

I have a notion that Hummingbird is gonna fly like the proverbial B.O.H. It looks fast just sitting there!

BTW, although I have not posted much in the Bagram thread, I have been admiring your handiwork on that clubhouse.

Take care of yourself. Ellie and Don send you their regards.

L8R
qban_flyer is online now Find More Posts by qban_flyer
Old Oct 04, 2008, 11:28 PM
USA, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Sep 2007
4,066 Posts
Sweet man, I love building kits. Im sure its a godsend over there.
JustinMoore12 is offline Find More Posts by JustinMoore12
Old Oct 05, 2008, 07:14 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,839 Posts
Thank you Qban. And tell Ellie and Don I said hello. You guys are the ones who initially got "my buddies" interrested in planes. They are still talking about flying Al's planes when we get home since most of them did not get the time to get a flight in before we deployed. Very nice to hear from you guys.

Justin, yes, the kits are great. Its neat to see people who are not even in our unit stop in just to see the progress on the planes. Folks love seeing them and we love building them! Great relationship!

Laine.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 12:40 PM
Joined Sep 2008
6 Posts
Cub Update

I must say that for a first time build, I picked quite a plane. When Laine told me he had some kits to build and told me that he had a Cub, that sealed the deal for me, I didnt want to build anything else. The Cub is by no means perfect, but I certainly have learned a lot building it. After my Funjet disaster, I was eager to get a slow flyer, and I think the Cub will work out quite nicely. I have had a lot of fun building it; it was neat to turn a box of matchsticks into an airplane. It has given me its fair share of frustrations too; rigging the flight control rods and servo installation(Hitec HS-55), getting the motor mount aligned correctly before dousing it with CA, and trying to straighten out all the stuff I glued together crooked have really ticked me off from time to time. We also ran out of yellow covering so I had to do a two tone color scheme. Not exactly what I wanted the Cub to look like, but I cant beat the cost of the kit and building materials. Thanks again Shovelheadfreak! Anyway, the Cub is covered, motor mounted(AXI 2208-34), and various taxi tests were conducted in our office tonight. All that is left is to put some windows in it, and if the wind ever dies down in the godforsaken pile of rocks known as Afghanistan, Laine and I will take it out and fly it. I already have a Dumas Stinson Voyager on the way. I hope to take the lessons learned from the Cub and apply them to the Voyager. Laine took some ridiculous pics of me with the Cub tonight, I am sure they will make it on here sooner or later. More to follow...
warlords6101 is offline Find More Posts by warlords6101
Last edited by warlords6101; Oct 15, 2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 01:49 PM
USA, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Sep 2007
4,066 Posts
sweet. I can tell by the pic its a involved kit. For a first time builder that is quite a task, heck even for me it would be. Shame about the covering, but looking forward to a maiden!
Stay safe
-J
JustinMoore12 is offline Find More Posts by JustinMoore12
Old Oct 15, 2008, 01:55 PM
Micro Flyer "Q"
Joined Sep 2003
1,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmopar69
Thank you Qban. And tell Ellie and Don I said hello. You guys are the ones who initially got "my buddies" interrested in planes. They are still talking about flying Al's planes when we get home since most of them did not get the time to get a flight in before we deployed. Very nice to hear from you guys.

Justin, yes, the kits are great. Its neat to see people who are not even in our unit stop in just to see the progress on the planes. Folks love seeing them and we love building them! Great relationship!

Laine.
Done.

Both told me to say hello to you too and that the troops are always included in their prayers. Ditto here Laine, and you guys take very good care of yourselves; you hear?
Old Oct 15, 2008, 02:14 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,839 Posts
Hey Matt, nice to see you on here. (bye the way folks, Matt lives one sheet of plywood away from me, poor guy) Dont let him fool ya folks, he did a great job on the Cub. Its not perfect, but, they never are. And kits like that are never easy. Even with a hobby shop down the street to get all your parts ect its difficult at times. Over here in this sand pit it can get VERY frustrating. Im confident it will fly great.

Bert, Thanks man. One of these days I'll get to the phone and get a call off to you man. Hope all is good there with you and yours.

Laine.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 07:15 PM
Micro Flyer "Q"
Joined Sep 2003
1,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmopar69
Hey Matt, nice to see you on here. (bye the way folks, Matt lives one sheet of plywood away from me, poor guy) Dont let him fool ya folks, he did a great job on the Cub. Its not perfect, but, they never are. And kits like that are never easy. Even with a hobby shop down the street to get all your parts ect its difficult at times. Over here in this sand pit it can get VERY frustrating. Im confident it will fly great.

Bert, Thanks man. One of these days I'll get to the phone and get a call off to you man. Hope all is good there with you and yours.

Laine.
Remember what I've said before, duty comes first; I know you guys are very busy there. There's no rush.

Everything is A-OK here.

Again, you guys take care of yourselves.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 07:24 PM
Micro Flyer "Q"
Joined Sep 2003
1,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warlords6101
I must say that for a first time build, I picked quite a plane. When Laine told me he had some kits to build and told me that he had a Cub, that sealed the deal for me, I didnt want to build anything else. The Cub is by no means perfect, but I certainly have learned a lot building it. After my Funjet disaster, I was eager to get a slow flyer, and I think the Cub will work out quite nicely. I have had a lot of fun building it; it was neat to turn a box of matchsticks into an airplane. It has given me its fair share of frustrations too; rigging the flight control rods and servo installation(Hitec HS-55), getting the motor mount aligned correctly before dousing it with CA, and trying to straighten out all the stuff I glued together crooked have really ticked me off from time to time. We also ran out of yellow covering so I had to do a two tone color scheme. Not exactly what I wanted the Cub to look like, but I cant beat the cost of the kit and building materials. Thanks again Shovelheadfreak! Anyway, the Cub is covered, motor mounted(AXI 2208-34), and various taxi tests were conducted in our office tonight. All that is left is to put some windows in it, and if the wind ever dies down in the godforsaken pile of rocks known as Afghanistan, Laine and I will take it out and fly it. I already have a Dumas Stinson Voyager on the way. I hope to take the lessons learned from the Cub and apply them to the Voyager. Laine took some ridiculous pics of me with the Cub tonight, I am sure they will make it on here sooner or later. More to follow...
Hello Matt,

Seeing a box full of sticks and a plank or two of balsa wood turn into a flying model is fun, isn't it (well, most of the time it is)?

Yep, there are (and will alwasy be) frustrations when assembling one, but that is what makes it interesting. Hope to see some pixs of you Cub posted here someday. Meantime, you guys take care of yourselves, we really appreciate your service to this great country of ours.

PS: You'll love the Voyager, not only is it a good looking model, but a great flyer as well. Attached photo is one of them on final.
Last edited by qban_flyer; Oct 15, 2008 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Adding pix
Old Oct 18, 2008, 11:20 AM
Joined Sep 2008
6 Posts
The Cub is done. We had great flying weather today, calm winds and such, but we were tasked with flying the 1:1 scale Blackhawk models we have here instead of playing with our toys. Maybe tomorrow...
Old Oct 18, 2008, 11:25 AM
Joined Sep 2008
6 Posts
I am sure the installation of flight control rods and servos would have went much smoother if I had followed the instructions and convered the plane AFTER I put that stuff in. I was so anxious for the pile of wood to look like a real plane that I made a deviation from the instructions to satisfy my own curiousity that in fact this pile of stuff would look like a real plane. Oh well, live and learn. The thing is by no means perfect, but I think it will be a good flyer... Still dont have the Stinson here yet. I am beginning to cuss Tower Hobby, but I am sure they sent it. I am so excited to get it here that I am thinking of greeting each mail plane on the tarmac to see if my stuff is on board. I need to place an order for some more RX and crystals. I got 4 planes including the Stinson and only 1 RX and crystal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qban_flyer
Hello Matt,

Seeing a box full of sticks and a plank or two of balsa wood turn into a flying model is fun, isn't it (well, most of the time it is)?

Yep, there are (and will alwasy be) frustrations when assembling one, but that is what makes it interesting. Hope to see some pixs of you Cub posted here someday. Meantime, you guys take care of yourselves, we really appreciate your service to this great country of ours.

PS: You'll love the Voyager, not only is it a good looking model, but a great flyer as well. Attached photo is one of them on final.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 08:11 PM
Joined Sep 2008
6 Posts
Well, I tried flying the Cub yesterday. Not sure what the issue is, but once it gets off the ground, it rolls to the right and meets terra firma with a quickness. CG is good, but when it leaves the groud it looks like it is flying tail heavy. The poor Cub did incur some damage, but nothing that couldnt be repaired. The winds picked up as I was repairing it, so I didnt get a chance to fly it again after I fixed it yesterday. I flew the Funjet and had no issues. I didnt expect my slow flying Cub to give me any issues at all. I am hoping to do a series of high speed taxi tests today and see if I can resolve her issues. Laine thinks the prop may have been too big, so we put a smaller one on there. We will see I guess.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 08:31 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,839 Posts
Old Oct 19, 2008, 08:33 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,839 Posts
Not to worry! We will make that dang Cubby fly if it kills us! Ok, we might not go that far. I think the problem is a combination of prop torque, and thrust angle. The thrust angle on the motor is a little excessive, and spinning a 10x4.7 APC SF prop on 3S combined with the thrust angle error, may have been a bit much for the rudder to compensate for. So, drop down to a 9x4.7, add a shim or two to the motor mount, and we'll give it another go.

laine.