HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2003, 10:19 AM
CAP 232-aholic
Centreville, VA
Joined Jan 2003
1,386 Posts
Need your thoughts on my first Brushless!

being to new to this side of the fence I'm wanting to know what you guys suggest for upgrades. I know there is a difference in picking power for example a the GWS A-10 and my little Firebat. After reading some posts I figured to toss out the stock Firebat mototr and go with a spare 400 I have and some gearing I oredered from Tower. I think once I figure it out it will fly decent over stock per your guys suggestions over in the Firebird thread.ok..now what im getting at is where I can purchase better motors and an inexpensive brushless setup. I have a Multiplex Twinjet that I wanna get more power to but dont want to spend too much. Any thoughts? Links?

thank you

may peace be with you

matt
DiabloKid is offline Find More Posts by DiabloKid
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2003, 09:38 PM
PUGZ RULE!
Joined Jun 2002
557 Posts
Check out www.dynamoelectrics.com...

i believe that dynamoelctrics offers the best deal on mega 1615 motors. these are speed 400 size equivalents.

for all round use, i would suggest the 3 or 4 turn. they are killer motors direct drive and are great when geared too.

there is no cheap way to put brushless motors on a twin jet. i have thought about it a lot, since i want a BL twin jet too, and two motors is a lot of money which ever BL way you go. not to say that its not worth it, i just cant get myself to plunk down that much money for a single set up.

IMHO there is really no foamie as beautifull as the twinjet. not to mention that it flies great too!

rgds, JT
juantrinidad is offline Find More Posts by juantrinidad
Old Feb 17, 2003, 07:52 AM
United States, NY, Spencerport
Joined Oct 2001
2,801 Posts
Yep, there is no such thing as an "inexpensive" brushless setup. Even from DynamoElectrics.com, you're talking $139 per motor, because you need a separate ESC for each motor. If you think about it, though, that's less than what you'd spend for a small OS or Saito 4-stroke engine, so it really isn't that out of line.
mkirsch1 is offline Find More Posts by mkirsch1
Old Feb 17, 2003, 09:06 AM
Los Angeles Van Nuys, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Hi Peace Loving Diablo,
I just saw Twinjet on San Diego show flying great with ONE brushless ( I think it was outrunner). So there is a different way to skin the cat ! May be somebody else have more info about this set up. BTW, I used to have a blast with just stock Twinjet on 8 cell 1500mA. What a great plane!
Janusz
Janusz Jawien is offline Find More Posts by Janusz Jawien
Old Feb 17, 2003, 11:17 AM
CAP 232-aholic
Centreville, VA
Joined Jan 2003
1,386 Posts
wow cool, I run stock motors with 8 cell 1700mah on mine
DiabloKid is offline Find More Posts by DiabloKid
Old Feb 17, 2003, 11:32 AM
Straight up is all I ask
Fairfield Ct USA
Joined Apr 2002
2,321 Posts
Dont fool arround

I just ordered a second mega 16 15 3 from M.E.C. has a great combo with superbox any ratio you want (thats a 1 oz gearbox good for at least 500 watts)with parts avalibility.$115 this cant be beat.This will go in my HOB acro cub. 150 watta per lb on 10 cells
jmolwitz is offline Find More Posts by jmolwitz
Old Feb 17, 2003, 12:22 PM
living in Japan member
Belgium (Europe)
Joined Oct 2002
393 Posts
I ve been thinking about putting my cargo BL so that is double your pain.
but I ll buy motor after motor (all mega 16/15/4) and use them now in other planes
maybe some day I ll have a BL li poly loaded cargo
anatak is offline Find More Posts by anatak
Old Feb 18, 2003, 04:33 AM
(aka Cliff Lawson)
United Kingdom, Essex
Joined Oct 2001
1,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mkirsch1
Even from DynamoElectrics.com, you're talking $139 per motor, because you need a separate ESC for each motor.
Why do you need a separate ESC for each motor? I deliberately put three 4mm connectors on the output of my JETI 30-3P controller so that I can swap it between plane/helis with different brushless motors fitted. I bought the 30A ESC, even though I didn't need that current handling in the first application as a bit of "future proofing". It's very easy to unplug the ESC from one aircraft and plug it into another. Now that you can get brushless motors such as the MPJet 25/35 for less than $50 it means that you can easily put a brushless in most applications.

Cliff

LATER: DOH! Sorry guys, I hadn't realised that we were talking about a twin motored plane here. Obviously for that mkirsch is absolutely right, you do need two ESCs! (sorry)
Wright Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Wright Flyer
Last edited by Wright Flyer; Feb 19, 2003 at 03:52 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2003, 10:15 AM
Tight is Right
Lehi, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2001
7,668 Posts
>>Why do you need a separate ESC for each motor? I deliberately put three 4mm connectors on the output of my JETI 30-3P controller so that I can swap it between plane/helis with different brushless motors fitted. <<

You can run one brushless motor at a time with a brushless ESC. You'll be fine switching between motors. You may have to spend some time reprogramming your ESC for each motor's maximum efficiency settings, but that's fairly simple.

What they were talking about is running two motors simultaneously with one controller. Brushed applications do this all the time. But Brushless ESC's like to monitor the motor. It's hard to monitor two motors at the same time

I've seen this tried and it usually results in chaos between motors and ESC.
Darren Hintze is offline Find More Posts by Darren Hintze