Old Oct 13, 2009, 07:10 AM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Aug 2008
2,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicogaglia
Nice work!!!
I have followed it with many interest.. it's an easy & funny plane, always to have into the car for any eveniences

Regards from Italy
Hi Nico,

I'm very happy with it. It's certainly more work to put together than a regular "foamy" but at the end the results are definitely worth it. Of course I grew up building planes from "sticks and tissue paper" so from that perspective this is a fairly simple build.

Regards,

- Birger
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:57 AM
100% addicted to RC :)
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Hi Birger...you have built a really really nice plane and I am considering building it. I just don't have a lot of money for all those materials ATM, so thats stopping me a little.

I do have a lot of BluCore foam that I can use. I was wondering if you could make a simplified version...perhaps the old box fuse trick. Cut out two fuse and just run a strip that gradually gets wider towards the front (hard to explain, but I'm sure you know what I mean...a lot of guys here to it).

As for the wing, I was thinking of a different way to get an airfoil. Search for a plane called "The Big Nasty" (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=404993). The way he created the wing was very simple, strong, and cheap.

Perhaps if you could develop a plan with the MXS in that style. I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
finchkid24 is offline Find More Posts by finchkid24
Old Dec 26, 2009, 05:31 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finchkid24 View Post
Hi Birger...you have built a really really nice plane and I am considering building it. I just don't have a lot of money for all those materials ATM, so thats stopping me a little.

I do have a lot of BluCore foam that I can use. I was wondering if you could make a simplified version...perhaps the old box fuse trick. Cut out two fuse and just run a strip that gradually gets wider towards the front (hard to explain, but I'm sure you know what I mean...a lot of guys here to it).

As for the wing, I was thinking of a different way to get an airfoil. Search for a plane called "The Big Nasty" (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=404993). The way he created the wing was very simple, strong, and cheap.

Perhaps if you could develop a plan with the MXS in that style. I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
Hi finchkid24,

Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately this project is currently way on the back burner (in the middle of building prototype 2) so please don't hold your breath on any work here soon I'm not sure I would do a re-design in the vein you describe as this whole project was an attempt to get away from simpler design concepts and see how much the envelope could be pushed by moving to some more involved and optimized processes (thus requiring more varied materials).

There are plenty of other good designs out there that provide what you want and I'm sure you could easily adapt them to the shape and size of the MXS by taking the profiles from this plane and cutting your your parts to that shape.

I'm not saying that I won't re-visit this later but for now I am swamped with other stuff.

Regards,

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:55 AM
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Completely understand, Birger.

Is there any way you can post a Zip, with just the profiles, wing and tail groups (as if I was building a simple shockflyer version)? I'd be more then happy to do the work for the rest.

Push the envelope you did, lot of ingenuity in that design.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 01:04 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,588 Posts
Quote:
Completely understand, Birger.

Is there any way you can post a Zip, with just the profiles, wing and tail groups (as if I was building a simple shockflyer version)? I'd be more then happy to do the work for the rest.

Push the envelope you did, lot of ingenuity in that design.
No Problem, I will take care of this tonight. Do you want large format print (Kinko's) or a tiled version for letter sized paper print?

Regards,

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2009, 02:06 PM
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Standard letter size is the best. I'm so lazy I'll never get around to going to Kinkos!

Thanks much! I'll post my progress.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:26 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,588 Posts
Sorry for the delay, here are the profiles in tiled letter format.

Regards,

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:29 PM
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Many thanks. Now I just got to get some more paper to print them out!
Old Jan 08, 2010, 10:20 AM
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Birger,

I am getting ready to start making my version of your MXS, and I need one more part tiled...the center crutch. Can you post that up in a file for me? I don't think I need any other parts...I think I can 'wing it' from there.
Old Jan 08, 2010, 10:59 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2,588 Posts
Quote:
Birger,

I am getting ready to start making my version of your MXS, and I need one more part tiled...the center crutch. Can you post that up in a file for me? I don't think I need any other parts...I think I can 'wing it' from there.
Here is what I have, let me know if this is what you need.

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2010, 06:58 PM
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Hey Birger-

My plane is starting to come to life, thanks to your plans!!! Not nearly as nice as yours...but it might turn out okay!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post14107495
Old Jan 23, 2010, 04:48 AM
Joined Sep 2009
1 Posts
good job!

收藏了,感谢分享。
debal is offline Find More Posts by debal
Old Feb 06, 2010, 05:56 AM
touching cloudbase not cloth!
UK
Joined Dec 2009
358 Posts
dude!!! great plane!! she looks awesome!!!
how are you getting on with proto2?
psychosaffa is offline Find More Posts by psychosaffa
Old Feb 06, 2010, 07:36 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychosaffa View Post
dude!!! great plane!! she looks awesome!!!
how are you getting on with proto2?
Prototype #2 is completely on the rocks . I have picked up a bunch of things that are taking my time away from this build. Unfortunately the original prototype is such a great flyer and I have gotten into larger balsa planes and fiberglass EDFs that I haven't had time to finish it. I have cut out and assembled the wing skin halves and I have cut and prepped all the hardware (this time CF) but that's it, no more has been done.

I've also picked up a job moonlighting for these guys http://shop.sapacamerica.com/ writing (or re-writing) their manuals so that has taken a big chunk of time.

That being said, this build not withstanding, I'm very happy about where I'm at. I guess I'm just like any other modeler, I only have time for 1 project of every 10 I want to build .

I'm currently building this plane: http://www.fox-jp.com/fa-200/fa200-e.htm and I'm loving it.

Regards,

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2010, 04:14 AM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,443 Posts
So who beside Birger and I actually built one? Mine has been through the wars of late. I had a mid-air with a flying buddy about a month ago. We were both landing (I was on a traditional approach, he was on an abbreviated one due to hitting LVC) and we descended slowly into each other just nearing the threshold - expecting the other to give way. The two planes were completely entangled and basically fell to the ground from 5m altitude. The MXS fuse was broken into three sections (nose section up to the wing LE, mid section from the wing LE to TE, and aft section from the wing TE back) and an aileron was crushed against the side of the fuse. The other plane (Blu Cub 2) had minimal damage, limited to a few propeller slices in the wing.

Wasn't a hard fix, but it never looked as pretty as it once did. Then, last weekend, I was doing an inverted snap roll and a whole lot of confetti flew off the plane immediately followed by silence. Followed by a dull thud a second or so later. The motor and firewall had parted company from the air frame (no doubt a legacy of the earlier mid-air) and the prop took out all the foam forward of the firewall as the motor unplugged itself from the ESC. Was able to pull off a very reasonable landing (if I do say so myself ) right at my feet despite the sudden aft CG.

So I've decided to effect a quick repair to get it back into the air and have commenced a build of number two. I've changed the undercarriage style and mounting on my current MXS after numerous failures due to my grass field, otherwise it will be true to the original design. It really is a fabulous flying aircraft.
CaseySP is offline Find More Posts by CaseySP
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Alfa Corsair Retracts again