HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2009, 08:54 AM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,482 Posts
Slowly getting there.

My carbon fiber stock finally arrived a couple of weeks ago. The spar was made with two pieces of 3mmx1mm butted together - we can't seem to get 6mmx1mm here.

I also forgot to say that we don't have a ready supply of 2mm depron so I have substituted 3mm. The wing skins were a bit reluctant to bend at the leading edge so I just made about three grooves with the back of a butter knife within the first 1cm from the LE.

The dud rudder servo was also replaced, and I decided to use two servos for the ailerons to give all the advantages of a two servo wing (differential, crow, flap, etc).

Still have to pull a speed control and proper receiver from one of the fleet (sorry Blu Cub), then fit the bottom fuse pieces and cut some hatches for the battery, RX and ESC.

The rest of the decals and wheel pants/spats will wait until after a (hopefully) successful maiden.
CaseySP is online now Find More Posts by CaseySP
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Alfa Corsair Retracts again
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2009, 09:02 AM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,482 Posts
Finally got it to a stage where it is ready to fly. Have been held up with the arrival of a new baby (number two). Depending how things go when Mum and bub arrive home from hospital (and the weather of course) it should fly in the next few days.

Ready to fly weight is 600g (~21 US Oz) with a 3S 2200mA Lipo according to our dodgy kitchen scale. I'll also try running 3S 1300mA and possibly 3S 1000mA packs to keep the weight down in calm conditions.

The airframe RTF less the battery weighs 400g (~14 US Oz). I'd say it's a bit heavier then yours Birger. Aside from using 3mm depron where you specified 2mm (for no reason other then I can't get 2mm), I also used a bit of 3.5mm ply around the undercarriage mounts and a fair bit of epoxy and PU glue in the construction. Plus two servos and extension leads for the ailerons.

Power to weight (with the 2200mA pack) seems good - it should have reasonable vertical performance. I run the same motor in my Alfa Corsair (550g RTF) which has almost OOS vertical and loops as large as you like them.

Had a hard time balancing this one. Moving the battery a few mm fore or aft has a big effect, as it is very "tippy". For the maiden the CG is on the spar - nice and safe.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2009, 09:17 AM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Aug 2008
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseySP
Finally got it to a stage where it is ready to fly. Have been held up with the arrival of a new baby (number two). Depending how things go when Mum and bub arrive home from hospital (and the weather of course) it should fly in the next few days.

Ready to fly weight is 600g (~21 US Oz) with a 3S 2200mA Lipo according to our dodgy kitchen scale. I'll also try running 3S 1300mA and possibly 3S 1000mA packs to keep the weight down in calm conditions.

The airframe RTF less the battery weighs 400g (~14 US Oz). I'd say it's a bit heavier then yours Birger. Aside from using 3mm depron where you specified 2mm (for no reason other then I can't get 2mm), I also used a bit of 3.5mm ply around the undercarriage mounts and a fair bit of epoxy and PU glue in the construction. Plus two servos and extension leads for the ailerons.

Power to weight (with the 2200mA pack) seems good - it should have reasonable vertical performance. I run the same motor in my Alfa Corsair (550g RTF) which has almost OOS vertical and loops as large as you like them.

Had a hard time balancing this one. Moving the battery a few mm fore or aft has a big effect, as it is very "tippy". For the maiden the CG is on the spar - nice and safe.
Great to hear you are ready for maiden Troy.

I had so much power with my plane I actually propped down from a 10X4.7SF to a 10X38SF. I'm running a 3S 1320 TP PL and have more than enough capacity for an 8-10 minute flight (not that the plane won't take the 2200 if you so desire). I have also flown with a wide range of CG settings and it will handle pretty well at a good range so don't be afraid to be a little nose heavy for the maiden (I was).

Only tip is that if you are nose heavy keep some speed up for the landing. Although she will float in pretty well when the CG is set for 3D this is not a flat plate foamy and can't be landed like one. You need to bring her in with some speed (not as much as a warbird) and use a traditional landing pattern. Due to the airfoil, if you do slow her down too much she will tip stall. I found that out on my maiden landing but that is the only crash I have had with her, she's still flying a joy.

What amazes me the most is the super high energy maneuvers that she is capable of, I will try to take some more video soon and post it here.

Regards,

- Birger
bdelapen is online now Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2009, 10:24 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,482 Posts
No flying again today. Although #2 son has been nothing short of perfect since we brought him home from the maternity ward and my wife is feeling almost 100%, unfortunately #1 son has caught something and has been unable to attend daycare all week. So my plans for my paternity leave of having a sneaky fly after dropping him off at daycare have gone out the window.

Nonetheless I did some static testing in the garage today. At WOT with an APC 9x4.7SF (no E's at hand) and a fully charged 3S 2200mAh Flightmax 25C it's making 290W, 26.5A (25A ESC with a 35A 10 sec overload permissible) and pulling the pack down to 11v. The plane was trying to pull itself out of my hands with tremendous vigor, so I expect most flying will be at much less then full throttle. I might, like you Birger, try a 10x3.8 at some stage depending how the test flight goes.

I've never flown a flat plate foamy, but have plenty of warbirds, so hopefully the landing (presuming we get that far) shouldn't hold any surprises.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2009, 07:59 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,482 Posts
Maiden - finally

It flies! We have been having some wild weather here lately. Earlier this week we had up to 100km/h gusts. Today was still windy, 30-35km/h, but I was tired of waiting

What can I say, I advanced the throttle in slowly, fed in rudder to correct the swing, and despite very long grass at our field it leapt into the air at about half throttle. It was hard to determine trim in the gusty conditions, but I did add two clicks of up elevator and one click of left aileron.

The aileron (50%) and elevator (35%) were on low rates, and rolls were a mere twinkle in the sky. I didn't try high rates , but aileron was very twitchy on the landing approaches (35% exponential), so I think I might reduce the low rates even further. Elevator and rudder (100%) seemed fine.

The only mishap was that the starboard wheel fell off at about the furtherest point of the circuit (typical), a legacy of me not fitting the wheel spats (I hadn't filed flats on the axels for the collets until I knew their final position). So the landing wasn't too graceful, but it did slow down wonderfully with excellent control maintained right up to the end.

Anyone who is thinking of building one of these great designs by Birger should definitely do it. I am already thinking of making a mkII.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2009, 08:52 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,618 Posts
That's Awesome Troy!!!

I'm glad to hear that everything went (mostly) fine. I love this plane a lot and it's always an attention grabber at the field. I can't remember how many times people have asked me who makes that kit?

I shot some more video last weekend showing some of the higher envelope and energy stuff but I have been on the road all week and my video editing machine is back home. I will try to edit it this weekend and post it soon.

The original is flying so well it is difficult to find energy and time out from all my other projects to get back to building the second prototype (to the current posted plans). It will hopefully happen soon and I can then give away (or sell ) the first prototype.

Happy flying Troy and let's see some more!!!

Regards,

- Birger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseySP
It flies! We have been having some wild weather here lately. Earlier this week we had up to 100km/h gusts. Today was still windy, 30-35km/h, but I was tired of waiting

What can I say, I advanced the throttle in slowly, fed in rudder to correct the swing, and despite very long grass at our field it leapt into the air at about half throttle. It was hard to determine trim in the gusty conditions, but I did add two clicks of up elevator and one click of left aileron.

The aileron (50%) and elevator (35%) were on low rates, and rolls were a mere twinkle in the sky. I didn't try high rates , but aileron was very twitchy on the landing approaches (35% exponential), so I think I might reduce the low rates even further. Elevator and rudder (100%) seemed fine.

The only mishap was that the starboard wheel fell off at about the furtherest point of the circuit (typical), a legacy of me not fitting the wheel spats (I hadn't filed flats on the axels for the collets until I knew their final position). So the landing wasn't too graceful, but it did slow down wonderfully with excellent control maintained right up to the end.

Anyone who is thinking of building one of these great designs by Birger should definitely do it. I am already thinking of making a mkII.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2009, 11:04 AM
Poland
Joined Oct 2009
7 Posts
anyone got tiled A4 plans ?

awsome plane
cyrax_ojz is offline Find More Posts by cyrax_ojz
Old Oct 02, 2009, 11:06 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrax_ojz
anyone got tiled A4 plans ?

awsome plane
Not yet, but if you give me a day or two I can try to put them together.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2009, 11:36 AM
Joined Jun 2008
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdelapen
Not yet, but if you give me a day or two I can try to put them together.
Hey B , you have a foamy A4 ? my friend is gonna lend me a 1900 MAH 2 cell for the JSF f-35 until I get my batteries I will maiden it again this weekend weather permitting
myplaneman70 is offline Find More Posts by myplaneman70
Old Oct 02, 2009, 12:05 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by myplaneman70
Hey B , you have a foamy A4 ? my friend is gonna lend me a 1900 MAH 2 cell for the JSF f-35 until I get my batteries I will maiden it again this weekend weather permitting
Cool, good luck on the re-maiden. I do not have a foamy A4, the closest I have is a composite T-45. If you are looking for plans for a scratch built however you may want to try these: http://www.parkjets.com/a-4-mars.html
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2009, 01:12 PM
Poland
Joined Oct 2009
7 Posts
sorry but i dont ask for plans of the jet i need MXS plans cuted to A4 pages in a pdf file
Old Oct 04, 2009, 01:35 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,618 Posts
Quote:
sorry but i dont ask for plans of the jet i need MXS plans cuted to A4 pages in a pdf file
Understood Cyrax, I will do my best to cut them tonight. I was just answering Myplaneman on the side. Unless I completely run out of time tonight they will be posted tomorrow morning.

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2009, 05:05 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,618 Posts
Quote:
First of all, sorry for the huge delay, I got so caught up in other things I have barely been able to do any designing or building. Anyway, here are the tiled A4 plans as well as another post of the manual (it hasn't changed, still waiting for pictures as I haven't finished the 2nd prototype;just posting it here for ease of access).

Regards,

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2009, 06:26 AM
Poland
Joined Oct 2009
7 Posts
thanks for the plans and promise to add photos from my build
Old Oct 13, 2009, 06:51 AM
Milan - Italy
Joined Feb 2007
8 Posts
Nice work!!!
I have followed it with many interest.. it's an easy & funny plane, always to have into the car for any eveniences

Regards from Italy
nicogaglia is offline Find More Posts by nicogaglia