SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 18, 2009, 09:33 AM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Aug 2008
2,618 Posts
Hi Troy,

Thanks for the interest. I have honestly just been completely swamped with other things and my second prototype is completely on the rocks. I have the mostly text based manual done but it will entail a fair amount of reading. I had to do it this way as I did not take enough pictures during the original build to complete the manual; also, several of the original pictures are no good any more as the design has changed in the plans and the manual to incorporate the enhancements between prototype I and II. I have attached the current manual as is to this post, hopefully it will still help. I'm still hoping to finish the second build and include the pictures in the manual but it's going to take a while as I won't be able to get back to this particular build for a few months. If you have more specific questions I will be glad to field them.

As for the wings, for the second prototype I am planning to glue the leading edge to the ribs (which will be glued to the spar first) and then wrap the skins around the spar. In the first build I did close the skins into a sleve and then slid them over the spar running CA down the spar when they were in position. If I were to use that method again I would just brush some 30 minute epoxy on the spar and the ribs and then slip the skins over the whole assembly.

Go back in the thread, I do have some pictures on the wing assembly posted that may help.

As for the gear, that is exactly the correct one, it turns out that here in the US we have a cheaper alternative but for you UH may be best. Just in case however here is another source for the gear:

http://www.rcfoam.com/cart.php?targe...ategory_id=121

Regards,

- Birger
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2009, 12:31 AM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,481 Posts
Thanks Birger,

That all explains it perfectly. Quite a clever solution. My next build will be a Bandit EDF and I might use your method to build a proper wing for it rather then the flat plate.

I'll be sure to post some pictures here when I get the MXS finished - don't hold your breath though, its taken me about a fortnight to get this far and still no word from the LHS about my carbon stock. It will probably look identical to yours - I do like your green colour scheme and have already stuck on the cockpit decals.
CaseySP is offline Find More Posts by CaseySP
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Alfa Corsair Retracts again
Old Jun 19, 2009, 03:13 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2,618 Posts
That's great Troy, you will have to share pictures, even build pictures would be nice.

Funny you mention a Bandit EDF, this is my most recent scratch built (I love it, I put 4 batteries through it every time I go to the field):
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2009, 09:03 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,481 Posts
Looks great Birger. Ever considered making one with an "airfoil" wing?

I would like to re-use the power system from my Alfa MiG 15 (Alfa 5 blade fan, Don's 4800kV motor and 2350 3S packs) - should the MiG ever meet an unfortunate demise.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2009, 09:35 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,618 Posts
Funny that you mention that .

This is just the test bed, it has a cheap UH 55mm fan and a Turnigy motor in it. I have an alpha 59mm 3-blade fan with a little screamer in it waiting to go in the next one, it should give at least 50%-60% more thrust.

I have been thinking of modifications to better the aerodynamics and one of them is definitely an airfoil wing though it will probably not be symmetrical like the MXS. I will probably use a 6mm flat plate bottom with some carbon spars bonded to the top, balsa LE & TE and a 2mm skin over the top giving a flat bottom airfoil (though I may sand some curve into the bottom). This has not been finalized yet, I may just go with a detachable wing and build it up similar to the MXS with 3mm top and bottom. I do like how this one is one piece and the bottom is part of the ducting, if I were to go with a detachable wing I would probably do some proper duct work (which is a lot more work).

I'm also thinking of balsa control surfaces, some internal reinforcement in the LE of the wing (as this takes most of the beating from my grass landings) and a spar on the stabilizer. I think I will also cover it with tissue or silk and glue to make it all more robust. With all the extra power it will have it can certainly take, and benefit from the minimal added weight.

Of course, this is about project 6 or 7 on the priority list.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:43 AM
Foam Is Where The Heart Is.
Austin, Tx
Joined Feb 2009
668 Posts
Bump.

Is anyone making one of these .

Dustin
homiefoamie is offline Find More Posts by homiefoamie
Old Jun 29, 2009, 05:44 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,618 Posts
Hi Dustin,

I will finally have time this summer to get back to work on the 2nd prototype. It's still a few weeks away but it will bring a new manual with lots of pictures and validation of the changes that I have made to the design. In general the first prototype flies excellent, just working on a few small things like better battery placement (easier to achieve desired CG), better ESC and battery cooling and stronger landing gear mount.

Regards,

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 29, 2009, 06:27 PM
Austin, Tx
Joined Feb 2009
668 Posts
Cool Birger, subscribed
Old Jul 01, 2009, 08:54 AM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by homiefoamie
Is anyone making one of these .

Dustin
Mine is on hold at the moment. I'm waiting for my CF to come in. Unfortunately here in Australia I can't get .5x3mm or 1x6mm strip, let alone 2mm rod. I have just got some .5x10mm yesterday and will try to score and snap it (like a ceramic tile) to get a .5x3mm strip.

For the 1x6mm strip I can get 1x3mm - I have some on order (should get it in a couple of weeks) and will try to butt two of these together to make a single 6mm wide strip.

For the control rods I will have to upsize to 3mm hollow tube.

And to add a final insult, all the hardware (undercarriage, wheels, servo extensions, linkage stoppers) I ordered from H/C has been delayed because I offered to add a charger for a flying buddy to my order to amortise our shipping costs. His charger is on backorder, so has held up all the bits and pieces that the MXS is waiting for

As you can see, progress hasn't advanced much from my posts a a couple of weeks ago.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2009, 09:38 AM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,481 Posts
I promised a slow build, and have not failed to deliver . I had some success during the week with the oversized 10x0.5mm strip. It sliced very easily with a PO knife - no need to score and snap.

Thus the reinforcement for the tailfeathers is done, the servos and pushrods for the rudder and elevator are complete, which pretty much finalises the back part of the airframe. Even the rudder decals are on and look great, but I don't think I'll do the tailplane or nose flames.

The only problem is my rudder servo is very noisy and has poor centering. This has come out of another aircraft, so it's possible it has a stripped gear or some such. I'll pick up a new one from the LHS when my CF order comes in. Then I can finally start on the wings.

Oh, and the HC order came in so the MXS has its legs and wheels. Spats are next, then I think I'll cut the wing skins out during the week, waiting for the CF.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaseySP; Jul 17, 2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:20 AM
Austin, Tx
Joined Feb 2009
668 Posts
Lookin good Casey. Good luck with the rest of your build. I will start mine as soon as I finish a couple of the planes I am currently building. I have to add the Bandit to the "to build" list as well. Great looking bandit Birger. At this rate I will never clear off my workshop table.

Dustin
Old Jul 17, 2009, 01:27 PM
Joined Nov 2008
23 Posts
One more build is to be started... Will post progress soon...
jcrave is offline Find More Posts by jcrave
Old Jul 17, 2009, 01:54 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,618 Posts
Landing Gear Bracing

Hi Guys,

I fly off a grass field with a lot of bouncing and vibration. This has worn on the Carbon Fiber Struts and I have broken and replaced 2 and finally when I broke the third I had to find an alternative. The breaks invariably occur where the struts meet the fuselage. The attached pictures show the Kevlar bracing I put in place on the gear, it may not be the most attractive but it is now rock solid. I'm actually flying on a broken strut and I have no problems with it.

Of course, if you fly of a smooth runway this may not be necessary at all but the grass has just wreaked havoc with my gear.

Regards,

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:12 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,481 Posts
Birger,

I saw that mod on the latest plans, so I thought you must have had some trouble. I also fly off some bumpy grass and was thinking about reinforcing the legs a different way. Maybe with some piano wire - the same as used for the wheel axles, glued to the inside of the legs, or even with some CF tube (4mm?).
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:33 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,618 Posts
That would probably work well. I just went with something that would be easy to retrofit to the existing plane. I had to use existing hard points as I did not have the opportunity to embed new ones. So I chose to tension the struts themselves and to tie in to the firewall which is a great hard point.
RCG Plus Member