SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 27, 2008, 09:42 PM
charge em up!
Colorado
Joined Jul 2007
780 Posts
Very nice build! I am excited to see the wing!
Zamfir is offline Find More Posts by Zamfir
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:58 AM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Aug 2008
2,614 Posts
Build Progress, 10/28/08

Got some more work done during MNF last night so here are some pictures.

Right wing is now assembled and attached to the spar. The spar is still not glued to the fuse but that will be the next step.

Regards,

- Birger
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2008, 06:18 PM
DAK
Kiev
Joined May 2005
10 Posts
Excellent work! Drawings can lay out for all?! And video of flights!
DAK is offline Find More Posts by DAK
Old Oct 28, 2008, 09:01 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,614 Posts
Thanks Dak,

I won't make any promises on the plans, if the model flies well and I'm happy with the outcome I will probably build a second one and use that to draw up the plans and assembly instructions.

This model is not a simple build and not for the faint-hearted, I have taken a lot of care to make the model as light as possible and my initial estimates is that it will come in only a couple of ounces above the weight of my profile foamy (Tim Hart's 3DX of the same wingspan). This means that although the plane is by no means fragile it is not designed to take any real heavy hits and due to the relative complexity of the airframe fixes after an accident will not be "quick and easy". Now I build them to fly them, not to crash them so that's fine with me but accidents do unfortunately happen, even to the best (and I'm definitely not one of the best); heck, just last Saturday I had a mid air collision so I'm living proof.

As for video, you bet. As soon as she is ready for the maiden I will bring my camera and make sure that one of my flying buddies is there to record all the excruciating detail. Once I have a chance to edit the video I will post it.

- Birger

P.S. I've attached some pictures of my profile foamy, I know they are off topic but I mentioned the plane above so here they are anyway.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2008, 11:27 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,614 Posts
Build Progress, 10/28/08 (2)

Time to hit the sack but a quick update on today's work first.

I glued the right wing and the wing spar to the rest of the airframe, it is now permanently attached (and much more cumbersome to handle , need to be careful through doors now). I also sanded the bevel on, and glued the remaining wing panel. Tomorrow I will hopefully form and glue the ribs and attach the left wing panel.

Getting close!

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2008, 04:07 AM
Build, fly, learn!
Versailles, France
Joined Jul 2008
495 Posts
Birger,
What did you use to make the decals? They look really good!
ADB2 is offline Find More Posts by ADB2
Old Oct 29, 2008, 07:53 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2,614 Posts
Decals

Hi ADB2,

I got this tip from Tim Hart of FoamyFactory.com fame. I use Crystal Clear (Laser) full sheet labels from OnlineLabels.com (product OL175CL). I am fortunate enough to have a color laser printer at home so they work great for me and don run with water since they are baked on during the laser printing process. Also, they are very resistant yet lightweight. They key here is that they are clear and only work on white foam since whatever is behind them shows through.

I'm not sure if there is something equivalent in Europe but I can only imagine that there is.

As for the graphics themselves any number of graphics programs will do. I happen to have an old version of AutoCad that I design my planes in. I export the section to be decorated to a .eps file and then import it into an old version of Macromedia Fireworks (you need to make sure you import to the correct size canvas because .eps is a size independent file format). Here is where I design my graphics and then just print them to the labels, cut them out and stick them on. If possible I will also run a covering iron on them to further activate the glue and get a stronger bond to the foam (I do this with all my tape joints as well, e.g. hinges).

They key to good decals is artistic talent. I unfortunately don't have very much artistic talent. I am however very good with computers so I make up for it using advanced program features like gradient fills and edge effects.

If you want further details I may be talked into making a tutorial video and posting it to YouTube. If what you were looking for is the tip on the label stock well there it is.

Hope this helps.

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2008, 09:57 AM
Build, fly, learn!
Versailles, France
Joined Jul 2008
495 Posts
Thanks Birger, that's cool! I am going to try to find an equivalent product here in France. Also the decals provide an extra smooth skin for the Depron so that could prove interesting mechanically and aerodynamically. I would really have to try it out.
ADB2 is offline Find More Posts by ADB2
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:34 AM
Lawton/Fort Sill, OK
Joined Sep 2002
1,952 Posts
How did you cut out the foam? Think I could get a copy of the plans or a kit?
Coop is online now Find More Posts by Coop
Old Oct 29, 2008, 11:09 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2,614 Posts
Hi Coop,

There are currently no plans. I have a really messy cad file that needs to be cleaned up and augmented with instructions. If the plane flies well and I'm happy with it I will probably build a second one and use it as a test bed to put together the plans and the manual.

As for how I cut out the foam. I print the profiles, usually on one big sheet at Kinko's but this time I printed them at home on tiled Letter sized paper and taped the pieces together. Once the profiles are ready I spray the back with re-positionable adhesive (I got mine at Michaels) and lay them down on the foam. Finally I just take a straight edge and a hobby knife with a standard #11 blade and go at it. Curves I just do freehand. One thing to note is that Depron dulls blades quickly so I like to start with a fresh blade every two whole sheets of foam or so.

I hope this helps, I'm definitely willing to put together plans if there is interest but I'm just not there yet.

Regards,

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2008, 11:11 AM
Lawton/Fort Sill, OK
Joined Sep 2002
1,952 Posts
Well I will be waiting for the plans then.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 07:48 PM
france
Joined Aug 2008
73 Posts
great job ! beautiful plane !
I wait the plans.....lol
marie3379 is offline Find More Posts by marie3379
Old Oct 30, 2008, 11:50 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,614 Posts
Build Progress, 10/30/08

She's getting close!!!

Unfortunately this will be the last update in a little while since tomorrow is Halloween and then I'm off with the whole family on a four day vacation. I'm still hoping to maiden it on the 8th of November but I will still have some work to do during my shortened week next week.

Enough of the color commentary, here's the meat:
  • Glued on the left wing ribs and then the wing skin.
  • Glued on the wingtips and shaped them.
  • Prepped the ailerons with CF doublers and torque rods (to minimize twist).
  • Completed the wing to fuselage joints with a fillet of epoxy and micro balloons.
What is left to do?
  • Attach ailerons.
  • Glue on aileron control horns and create linkages.
  • Attach two remaining hatches.
  • Apply final decals.
  • Measure CG and attach battery strap.
  • Final fit and finish (any forgotten details).
  • Maiden!
The plane will definitely get wheel pants but this will probably be at a later date, I'm still trying to figure out how I want to do them and whether or not I want to swap out the wheels for some slightly wider foam wheels I purchased. I'd like to use the new foam wheels but they use a larger axle diameter than the one currently attached to the LG and there is no easy way to change the axles now since they are glued and Kevlar wrapped (I got the new wheels after the LG was set up for the skinny wheels ). If anyone knows of an easy way to slightly increase the diameter of my axle please let me know, as it stands they wobble too much.

More to come next week.

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bdelapen; Oct 31, 2008 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Oct 31, 2008, 08:39 AM
Lawton/Fort Sill, OK
Joined Sep 2002
1,952 Posts
Looking real good.
Old Nov 05, 2008, 10:51 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,614 Posts
Build Progress, 11/05/08

Due to my trip out of town this update is just a small one but here it is:

I attached the ailerons to the wings using barn-door hinges, they still need control horns and I still need to put together the control linkages.

I also broke down and took some CA debonder and a utility knife to the Kevlar on the landing gear axles and removed the skinny axles. I have now replaced them with the thicker axles and figured I would work on the wheel pants after all. As you can see by the pictures the glue is drying and then they will be ready for final shaping.

Hopefully I will get some more building done tomorrow night.

Regards,

- Birger
RCG Plus Member