HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2009, 05:06 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzak
Interesting diagram in post#1432. I had my wife translate some. Why is it in Russian?
It is strange, the best photos I could find where at a Russian site on US aircraft, go figure. Some people say that it is not very close on scale, but when I scale it from the actual dimensions I have they are close enough.

DAG
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2009, 05:06 AM
Joined Dec 2008
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214
IMHO you need to keep it in perspective, heck I have built ARF's I thought were tough because the were designed and built by someone else that expects you to understand (sometimes) bad directions with really bad photos of how parts fit. I also have spent over a two thirds of my life designing my own things. If you are the designer it goes a lot easier than you would think. I had a ARF once that all the directions were written in a language that I could not even read, and no photo's, when done I had a ton of parts left over, but she still flew great. I love to torture my self by pushing my design skills, but it is not anything anyone could do with enough time. I have been thinking about this plane since I was 12, at 15 I wanted a control line of this B-36. I am 46 soon and now building my dream, just hope she flies . I will tell you this, I am very surprised at how it has gotten so much attention, This thread is approaching 75k of views, that is something I never thought would have happened.

Also if anyone ever wants to ask anything about this project or designing, just ask, I try to answer all. And if I don't answer, ask again, I must have forgot to answer the first time.

Someone once asked for my 3D of my robart air tank, I still can't remember who that was and can't find the thread. Ask away!!!

Thanks, DAG
Haha. Thanks Dag, made me feel better.

I really do think its great that you are sharing this build with us. I believe that the reason you have so many views too, is that many of us have a dream to build something as beautiful and big as your plane. However, I think many of us lack either the skill or funding or even courage to start with such a project.
By following your build thread, we get to, in a way, feel part of the project and perhaps closer to starting our own.

Cant wait for her to be completed.
3 pointer is offline Find More Posts by 3 pointer
Old Feb 12, 2009, 10:06 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Jun 2006
1,080 Posts
I think funding is the reason many of us don't attempt a project of this scale

For now, we will all live vicariously through your extravagent build...
umdpru is online now Find More Posts by umdpru
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2009, 11:35 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,058 Posts
Funding is certainly a big part of why the rest of us don't do projects like this, but for me, and also a lot of other people these days, time is a huge factor. I enjoy building, but just don't have the time. I got a Dumas Helldiver about 5 years ago, it's still not finished! Too many things demanding my time. I've got an EP Sportster for my birthday last summer, it's still only half built, and that's an ARF!

I've got to get back to my Helldiver...
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Feb 12, 2009, 12:35 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Some pics from playing late last night with the foil tape. I really think this is going to look very cool.

Thanks all,
DAG
Old Feb 12, 2009, 12:43 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Ok need some info,
where can I get about 300' of 12 gauge silicone wire, and 100' 10 gauge silicone wire like what is on batteries???

Thanks, DAG
Old Feb 12, 2009, 12:44 PM
War Eagle!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2006
2,900 Posts
Nice. What did you say the thinnest that stuff came in? I wonder if it would be light enough for a 32" H-1....
sneasle is offline Find More Posts by sneasle
Old Feb 12, 2009, 12:45 PM
War Eagle!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2006
2,900 Posts
Quote:
Ok need some info,
where can I get about 300' of 12 gauge silicone wire, and 100' 10 gauge silicone wire like what is on batteries???

Thanks, DAG
http://www.powerwerx.com/wire-cable/

http://www.powerwerx.com/product.asp...608&CtgID=1002
sneasle is offline Find More Posts by sneasle
Old Feb 12, 2009, 01:13 PM
ONEHANDRC
United States, WI, Genoa City
Joined Dec 2007
626 Posts
Even your adjustable wrench looks great!!!!!
gallfer is offline Find More Posts by gallfer
Old Feb 12, 2009, 01:27 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,126 Posts
Hi Dag...

Well......

In talking to the folks at Castle Creations, I was told they have it in small quantities, but that much might be a bit over the top, but it doesn't hurt to call them. It just might be a way to get them in on this great project of yours.

Also... you don`t want to use "zip" type cable, as it does not have enough strands in the cable to carry the load. Dag, I`m sure you know this, but for those that don't, electrical current does not actually flow "through" the conductor, but rather on the surface of the conductor, this is why multi-strand cable is able to carry more current than solid wire can. Just think of welding cable.. It has many, many strands of fine conductors, and this is not just so that the cable will be flexible.

Just as a matter of mentioning, some folks have used some types of "Monster" brand cable for long runs, as some of it has the large number of strands needed to carry the current.

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Feb 12, 2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 02:19 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneasle
Nice. What did you say the thinnest that stuff came in? I wonder if it would be light enough for a 32" H-1....
.0012, I think it is very light. I will try to weigh 100 square inches and let you know what is weights. The stuff I have is only .003 at this time, have not ordered the .0012 yet.

DAG
Old Feb 12, 2009, 02:25 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
Quote:
Ok need some info,

Thanks, DAG
I'll see what I can do.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Feb 12, 2009, 03:20 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Ok need some info,

Thanks, DAG
Thanks all,
Just spoke with ThunderPower and they can get me the wire I need.

Rock On!

DAG
Old Feb 12, 2009, 03:31 PM
Denmark
Joined Aug 2008
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draknkep
Hi Dag...

Also... you don`t want to use "zip" type cable, as it does not have enough strands in the cable to carry the load. Dag, I`m sure you know this, but for those that don't, electrical current does not actually flow "through" the conductor, but rather on the surface of the conductor, this is why multi-strand cable is able to carry more current than solid wire can. Just think of welding cable.. It has many, many strands of fine conductors, and this is not just so that the cable will be flexible.

Just as a matter of mentioning, some folks have used some types of "Monster" brand cable for long runs, as some of it has the large number of strands needed to carry the current.

SteveT
That theory only applies for AC
Just look at the transformer in Your welder, it's solid wires!
Wireing in houses are also solid.
The sole reason for mulitstrand wires is flexibility
Chickenthief is offline Find More Posts by Chickenthief
Old Feb 12, 2009, 03:58 PM
Memb DEAF R/C
Dallas, TX
Joined Nov 2005
1,089 Posts
dag, the cable you are looking for is SIS type. Very flexible and high strand count. Common in control panels.
RonR214 is offline Find More Posts by RonR214