to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2009, 10:40 PM
USA, WA, Edmonds
Joined Aug 2008
1,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214
Thanks Tim,
Yes that 3rd one is wild, I guess they would just have to have some one fly up with a Stearman and pull the door out of the way

DAG
That last vid is a test of the gear dropping with no hydraulic pressure (or some other simulated failure), an FAA requirement I think. Its supposed to push the door out of the way and finish dropping. The A380 had the same problem before its first flight. They temporarily solved it with grease on the door fitting.
bwalt822 is offline Find More Posts by bwalt822
Old Feb 10, 2009, 01:06 AM
Memb DEAF R/C
Dallas, TX
Joined Nov 2005
1,098 Posts
Dag, I think Jack hit it. The over center locking is probably what sparked my comments.

My experience with air and hydraulics was on large machinery and things were always loaded when they moved, not like the LG.

Appreciate the 3 videos as I have seen many different aircraft test, but never large landing gear static test like that. Spent a couple of years in the mid 60's at McD's in St. Louis, but on the Gemini side.

Ron
RonR214 is online now Find More Posts by RonR214
Old Feb 10, 2009, 03:14 AM
Electric Jet Driver
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Oct 2003
787 Posts
Those landing gear test are something we do every day on BUFFs. Ok, ALMOST every day. Thats part of my job. A B-52 looks REAL funny 5ft off the ground with alll the gear up! It's just not right I tell ya!

Notice the high pitched whining noise during each video. Thats either the aircrafts onboard ground test pumps or emergency hydraulic pumps. On some aircraft these pumps are one and the same. It's important to note that the gear operated in these videos ran off these pumps. The gear's movement would be much smoother/faster when using the engine driven hydraulic pumps. It's all about fluid dynamics.

Your average test pump may only flow around 200 gallons per minute of hydro.

Yet that strut was designed to be moved by an engine driven pump that puts out 700+ gallons per minute.

It makes a huge difference. Most aircraft even have different time limits for gear retraction/ extension times. One time limit for emergency pumps and one for engine driven pumps. Engine driven pump times are always much less.

Jason
Trbdsl96 is offline Find More Posts by Trbdsl96
Old Feb 10, 2009, 08:59 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbdsl96
Engine driven pump times are always much less.

Jason
I was wondering about that, every vid I've seen of LG deploying or retracting was much faster than that.
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:01 AM
Vintage Flyer
Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214
Actually all 10 cylinders fit in the fuse

DAG
Hi Dag!
With those cylinders placed where they are at, where are you going to put the "tunnel " with the little trolley that rolls from the front of the airplane and to the rear of the airplane?
LOL!
Just kidding!

Ed
Ercoupe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Ercoupe Ed
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:09 AM
Vintage Flyer
Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbdsl96
Those landing gear test are something we do every day on BUFFs. Ok, ALMOST every day. Thats part of my job. A B-52 looks REAL funny 5ft off the ground with alll the gear up! It's just not right I tell ya!

Notice the high pitched whining noise during each video. Thats either the aircrafts onboard ground test pumps or emergency hydraulic pumps. On some aircraft these pumps are one and the same. It's important to note that the gear operated in these videos ran off these pumps. The gear's movement would be much smoother/faster when using the engine driven hydraulic pumps. It's all about fluid dynamics.

Your average test pump may only flow around 200 gallons per minute of hydro.

Yet that strut was designed to be moved by an engine driven pump that puts out 700+ gallons per minute.

It makes a huge difference. Most aircraft even have different time limits for gear retraction/ extension times. One time limit for emergency pumps and one for engine driven pumps. Engine driven pump times are always much less.

Jason
Yes, the "whining" noise is the hydraulic pumps.
We used to hear that when we did tests on the Nike Hercules missiles hydraulic flight control systems I worked on when I was in the military. Also when we cycled the hydraulics in the missile launcher-erectors.
To see what they looked like, there is a Nike missile site being restored as a museum out near San Francisco California.

see www.nikemissile.org/
Old Feb 10, 2009, 01:49 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,673 Posts
Quote:
Those landing gear test are something we do every day on BUFFs.
I just love the nickname "Buff". In case some of you don`t know, it is from the Vietnam war era, and stands for "Big Ugly Fat F&*(%@$..."

What really makes me laugh about it though is when I hear somebody say that somebody is "buff" as in physically built. I then have to explain to them what the term really means...

Trbdsl96....

Where you ever stationed at Shephard AFB??? During the 60s-70s that was a SAC base with many B-52s. I used to get rattled out of bed quite often by the big birds flying over my house about 200' up as they came in under the radar when landing.

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Feb 10, 2009, 07:38 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,040 Posts
My motor mounts and firewalls. The firewalls are reinforced with the CF running both vertical, and horizontal. For the firewall to fail the rear spar would also have to fail.

DAG
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214
Old Feb 10, 2009, 07:44 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,673 Posts
Hi Dag....

Looks great as usual.... I can`t wait for the day you maiden this plane, and I would love to be there....If you were in California, I guarantee you I would be!!

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Feb 10, 2009, 07:53 PM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas
Joined Apr 2006
1,589 Posts
Looks great Dag !!!

Your bench finally looks messy !!

You sure got a lot done before it got messy though ...lol lol lol...

Seeya, Tim
Tim Farrar is offline Find More Posts by Tim Farrar
Old Feb 10, 2009, 08:02 PM
Vintage Flyer
Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draknkep
I just love the nickname "Buff". In case some of you don`t know, it is from the Vietnam war era, and stands for "Big Ugly Fat F&*(%@$..."

What really makes me laugh about it though is when I hear somebody say that somebody is "buff" as in physically built. I then have to explain to them what the term really means...

Trbdsl96....

Where you ever stationed at Shephard AFB??? During the 60s-70s that was a SAC base with many B-52s. I used to get rattled out of bed quite often by the big birds flying over my house about 200' up as they came in under the radar when landing.

SteveT
When I was stationed in Okinawa in 1972 and 73 with the 30th ADA with the 44th Ordinance company, when we went out and worked on one Nike missile site next to Kadena AFB, and the BUFF's were flying missions to Vietnam, they'd come screaming by, and everything would just shake and rattle!
Listening to 36 of them winding up , and getting ready to take off was impressive!
Even more impressive was watching the Habu's come and go doing recon missions over Vietnam or China.

Habu's = SR71 Blackbirds.
The Habu was a Japanese snake brought to the island during world war two
and the Japanese released them on the beaches prior to our troops coming ashore.
They are a very deadly snake!
The SR71 crews adopted the name and had "Habu"patches on their uniforms.
Their was a group of SR71 pilots called "The Order of the Habu"

Keep up the great work Dag!
Hey how about collobarating on a super giant scale Ercoupe next? LOL!
Old Feb 10, 2009, 08:09 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,673 Posts
Unfortunately, I have never had the pleasure of seeing and SR-71 Take-of/fly/land, but would certainly loved to have done so. The Buff is a magnificent bird and when you how long ago they were designed and you consider they are still flying today, (and I am sure will still still be flying for many years to come), this makes them one of the most enduring planes of all time.

Quote:
Hey how about collobarating on a super giant scale Ercoupe next? LOL!
Considering the size of Dags current plane, an Ercoupe would probably end up being full scale...30'.... You could use one of those big Hacker quad 50's in it. Lets see... The Motor system, plus four ESCs, plus eight 6S 6000mah (or more) packs....OUCH!!! Thats one heck of a lot more than my wallet can afford.

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Feb 10, 2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 09:09 PM
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Feb 2006
36 Posts
Dag,
How did you determine the angle of attack on the motors with the wing and nacelles?

Thanks,
Paul
hidenq is offline Find More Posts by hidenq
Old Feb 10, 2009, 10:31 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,070 Posts
DAG, looking at your photos, it appears that the motors are parallel to the rear spar. Since the wings are swept, doesn't this put the motors at an angle to the fuselage?
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo