Old Feb 08, 2009, 01:53 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneasle
http://www.servocity.com/html/linear_servos.html

They used to have more sizes then that available, may not be stocking them at this point in time.

Just an idea to consider, I have something similar bolted to the back of the 12' satellite dish in the yard to control it's direction, has been out in the weather for years and always worked.

edit:

Looking at their details, They are way to heavy and way to expensive for this... But they are nice to look at .
Yep,
That is the one I was looking at, if it was just a little lighter, and half the price I may have gone that route.

Thanks, DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2009, 01:55 PM
USA, WA, Edmonds
Joined Aug 2008
1,883 Posts
How is the gear locking in the up position? If it takes 75 pounds to hold them up times a couple g's in flight and you've got a really high load on the gear bellcranks . You could incorporate a locking pin into the sequencing of the gear doors.

Also, I think I have asked you this about your previous gear iterations but will the gear be able to drop and lock in the event of pneumatic pressure loss?
bwalt822 is offline Find More Posts by bwalt822
Old Feb 08, 2009, 02:09 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalt822
How is the gear locking in the up position? If it takes 75 pounds to hold them up times a couple g's in flight and you've got a really high load on the gear bellcranks . You could incorporate a locking pin into the sequencing of the gear doors.
All of the retracts I have made for bombers use air to lock them up. Never had a problem yet. Don't really pull many G's. Keep in mind a air cylinder has huge power.

Just an up date, I just measured my retract pull to bring it to full up, it is 45.5 pounds. Not sure how I screwed my math up and got 75 pounds. I just took a hook scale and pulled on the attachment pivot and the scale said 45.5 with the gear at 90 degrees. The 3 air cylinders provide 90 pounds of thrust at 100 PSI. But I lose a lot of that because of the moment arm that the pivot arm rotates around.

I just tested the new gear version 5 and it worked perfect. Will post video later tonight.

DAG
Old Feb 08, 2009, 03:08 PM
Dragon
Vancouver B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
216 Posts
Dag,
Have a look here for control valves:

http://www.up-1.com/valves.html

Cheers Rob.
mech9 is offline Find More Posts by mech9
Old Feb 08, 2009, 03:14 PM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Jan 2009
44 Posts
G'day Dag, you could get a little more efficiency from your air cylinders by reversing them, extend has larger piston area, not much difference but if every little bit helps?
barneybdb is offline Find More Posts by barneybdb
Old Feb 08, 2009, 03:45 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mech9
Dag,

Cheers Rob.
Very cool, but I was hoping to use the electronic ones. I may just have to go in that direction.
I really want one of these:
http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/...oducts_id=1491

Just can't get them to respond to any of my 5 e-mails. Does anyone else know where I can get 3 of these???

Thanks, DAG
Old Feb 08, 2009, 03:54 PM
Dragon
Vancouver B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
216 Posts
Dag,
I don't think they (dreamworksrc) check their email very often, but they do ship quite fast I just received an order from them recently and they wasted no time in getting it out but did not respond to an email I sent.

Cheers.
mech9 is offline Find More Posts by mech9
Old Feb 08, 2009, 03:55 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,885 Posts
Quote:
Dag,

Cheers Rob.
Rob,
I just e-mailed them to get some info. They have some really cool products.

Cheers,
Damon
Old Feb 08, 2009, 03:56 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneybdb
G'day Dag, you could get a little more efficiency from your air cylinders by reversing them, extend has larger piston area, not much difference but if every little bit helps?
Thanks, I might try that.

DAG
Old Feb 08, 2009, 03:58 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,885 Posts
Quote:
Dag,
I don't think they (dreamworksrc) check their email very often, but they do ship quite fast I just received an order from them recently and they wasted no time in getting it out but did not respond to an email I sent.

Cheers.
I just don't get how companies work, you e-mail them and here nothing, Oh well, I am going to try your other guys.

Thanks, DAG
Old Feb 08, 2009, 06:31 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,885 Posts
My gear test this afternoon.

2 8 09 B 36D main gear test V 5 (4 min 26 sec)

I tested it at 60 psi, 80 psi, 100 psi, and 110 psi.

Anybody know what is the max PSI to be used with these air systems???

DAG
Old Feb 08, 2009, 06:59 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214
Anybody know what is the max PSI to be used with these air systems???

DAG
Dag,

My friend who's been flying jets for years says not to exceed 150 PSI. He's a reliable source (he's the guy flying in that video I sent you). He's a rep for a major composite jet company as well as turbine, radio and other stuff...

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Feb 08, 2009, 07:50 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter
Dag,

My friend who's been flying jets for years says not to exceed 150 PSI. He's a reliable source (he's the guy flying in that video I sent you). He's a rep for a major composite jet company as well as turbine, radio and other stuff...

Jack
Thanks Jack.
People think I am doing all of this on my own, but in fact I get so many answers from guys like you and everyone else here it really helps. Between the great support I get from the manufactures (the good ones), and you all, this project is going great. I test fitted the gear mock-up in the wing and she fits great. I am about 2 weeks behind schedule, but hope things will pick up now.

Thanks all,

DAG
Old Feb 08, 2009, 10:31 PM
Memb DEAF R/C
Dallas, TX
Joined Nov 2005
1,081 Posts
Dag, looks like you are still off on the pivot points a little which is changing the load as the gear moves or is it just me imagining it. Seems to stutter a little along the way. Course, that may have been low pressure tests also. But still very impressive.

Ron
RonR214 is offline Find More Posts by RonR214
Old Feb 09, 2009, 01:01 AM
Mount Juliet, TN
Joined Feb 2008
453 Posts
Me, I don't give advice, I only TAKE! LOL

Dag, please share what you're using to cut out the phenolic? Man that's pretty work. Do you have your own laser? And I have to add serious kudos to your son. How cool is it to have a helper around who can cut out formers for you?

Tom
ska2000 is offline Find More Posts by ska2000