Naaa way too greasy...
jpt62 is offline Find More Posts by jpt62
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:44 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,111 Posts
You got P. Phil, Buckeye Chuck( Marion Ohio) General Beauregard Lee in GA and a host of others. Phil has been right 37% of the time, So I am going with the General, since he said 6 more weeks.

Right now here in MI, it is snowing, 3-6 inches of lake effect snow till Monday morning, 14 degrees, wind chill of about 4 above and enough snow on the ground to float fly, if you can fly in 14 degree weather.

It is crow season in Michigan, not groundhog season.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred

there are many groundhog predictors. It is a way to make money. I am sure Indiana has it's own groundhog, but I don't know the name if they have one.
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:04 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,665 Posts
Hi Dag...

Something that might be of interest to you.....CAT6 servo extension modules (send and receive)

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:19 AM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2012
508 Posts
Now thats a real nifty looking device there Steve.. bookmarked it
jt
jpt62 is offline Find More Posts by jpt62
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:30 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,665 Posts
I thought so....and I was curious as they were saying that it could be used with a servo controller, I.E. for robotics or something, so, I called them, and was told there would be no problem using them with a receiver.

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:06 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,796 Posts
If you don't need the distance (ie your not building a real plane ) you can likely just wire your servos straight to cat 5/6 cabling. Use a couple of wires for voltage and ground, still leaves 4 for the signals (or run separate power). Actually seems to be what they are doing, just with a level converter to boost signals so they will go 100 feet.
desertstalker is offline Find More Posts by desertstalker
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:06 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,136 Posts
...or, just use the Futaba S-Bus system that only requires a single servo extension to run as many channels as you want.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/sbus/index.html

Futaba RC Video Update: S.bus (Serial Bus) RC Receiver & Servo System (8 min 28 sec)

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:15 PM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
I WANT one of these! Don't NEED one but want one......
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:24 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Apr 2007
153 Posts
To this day I've haven't read an explanation of how the S-Bus system handles the electrical load of all those servos. In Giant Scale applications (IMAC for instance) each servo could pull a couple of amps of intermittent load. That, times the number of servos, always struck me as too much to expect from even heavy gauge servo wire over a long run.
pappy35 is offline Find More Posts by pappy35
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:30 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post
...or, just use the Futaba S-Bus system that only requires a single servo extension to run as many channels as you want.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/sbus/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDQJd1sujIk

McD
Unless Dag has switched, if I remember correctly he is using a JR radio, thus the S-buss system won't work.

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:51 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy35 View Post
To this day I've haven't read an explanation of how the S-Bus system handles the electrical load of all those servos. In Giant Scale applications (IMAC for instance) each servo could pull a couple of amps of intermittent load. That, times the number of servos, always struck me as too much to expect from even heavy gauge servo wire over a long run.
Well I haven't used the system, and am no expert in giant scale electronics (so disregard everything I'm about to say! ), but they did make mention in the video above that you can add a remote battery at the tail to provide extra power there if necessary. Just the same, you could run heavier gauge power wire to a distribution back there to feed the main S-Bus hub.
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:12 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,665 Posts
I don't think Dag is going to want the weight of another battery in the tail of this plane, or to have to build a hatch to access it either...

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:15 AM
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
1,614 Posts
SteveT, just a random thought as I'd read your post. No need for an extra hatch, just build the tailgun as a push-in plug arrangement with some rare-earth magnets to keep it in place.

However, any extra weight any distance behind the CofG will need that much more weight in the front end to balance (Archimedes' principles re levers).

To those in the US celebrating Martin Luther King Day, or those in Canada doing Family Day: have fun!
byrocat is offline Find More Posts by byrocat
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:30 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
I don't think Dag is going to want the weight of another battery in the tail of this plane, or to have to build a hatch to access it either...

SteveT.
Hi Steve - I never suggested that Dag do it, as he is already fairly committed with his JR equipment and I'm sure doesn't want to rework things at this late stage. It was merely a general response to pappy35's general question.
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:35 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
9,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by byrocat View Post
SteveT, just a random thought as I'd read your post. No need for an extra hatch, just build the tailgun as a push-in plug arrangement with some rare-earth magnets to keep it in place.

However, any extra weight any distance behind the CofG will need that much more weight in the front end to balance (Archimedes' principles re levers).

To those in the US celebrating Martin Luther King Day, or those in Canada doing Family Day: have fun!
It's president's day but we can pretend it's MLK day, that's cool too.
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick