HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2009, 01:28 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,017 Posts
What I did last night.
This is a rendering of the new motor mounts, My son got them cut out for me last night, will take pics soon.

DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2009, 04:41 PM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas
Joined Apr 2006
1,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCFlyer1960
Hey, that's five more than me, Tim! Well, unless you count the instantaneous retracts I've made with just the right (or wrong!) type of landing. Retracts em' great - once.
Oh but I am counting those type retracts ...lol lol lol...

Just kidding, that was funny, OCFlyer1960...lol lol lol...

Dag, I dont know what to suggest for break away bolt testing !!!

Those 1/4-20 wing bolts everyone uses to keep from tareing up their fuselage shure dont work !!!
There have been a few times that I have had to take the fuselage half off of one of those bolts after landing ...lol lol lol...
I have went to 10-32 on most of my wings now...

Anyway, that will be a hard thing to figure because like you said you want it to hold up in flight but it would be great if they would break away in a emergency...

Seeya, Tim
Tim Farrar is offline Find More Posts by Tim Farrar
Old Feb 05, 2009, 04:56 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N99JH
You may want to give some thought to re-designing the motor mounts in such a way that if you are forced to land with gears down the propeller will tear a part that is designed to fail before the main structure tears substanial part of the wing? What I have in mind is a subplate made from say 3/16" 5 ply mounted with plastic bolts to the main structure and under normal loads will take the torque of the motor but will tear the plastic bolts if it sees certain tesion and bending forces.
Would not a propeller blade (or six) be the cheapest, easiest thing to sacrifice in a belly landing? Build the hubs to handle the tension but less bending - especially radially. I imagine the torque force at the hub would be many times greater on impact with the ground than when flying. I'm thinking something like the shear pins used on some heli rotors.
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
Old Feb 05, 2009, 06:53 PM
Joined Dec 2008
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Farrar
Those 1/4-20 wing bolts everyone uses to keep from tareing up their fuselage shure dont work !!!
Seeya, Tim
Oh, that's why they are plastic. So they will shear off. Right? Learn something new every day.

Now I can see you holding a perfectly intact plastic bolt in your hand with formers, covering, a few ribs, unplugged servo wire, and who knows what else haging from it thinking "A lot of good you did me. "
OCFlyer1960 is offline Find More Posts by OCFlyer1960
Old Feb 05, 2009, 07:04 PM
War Eagle!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2006
2,906 Posts
Let me relate a little plastic bolt story....

I wanted to build a mount for a foamie I got. The motor I bought needed to sit about 1.5" forward of the front of the firewall. So, I went on McMaster Carr to try and find some 4-40 bolts long enough... well.. there was only 1 option available with full threads, so I bought a bag of 100 and didn't think much about it.

Well, my order comes in and what do ya know, the bolts were plastic.. I guess that explains why they were so cheap......

Anyways.. I decided to see how much force it would take to break them... I have yet to be able to get one of these bolts to shear.. they just bend and bend and bend...
sneasle is offline Find More Posts by sneasle
Old Feb 06, 2009, 09:19 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214
What I did last night.
This is a rendering of the new motor mounts, My son got them cut out for me last night, will take pics soon.

DAG
Nice. Simpler is better.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Feb 06, 2009, 11:41 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,017 Posts
Big changes,
Well when I went back to the motor design at the rear it screwed up a bunch. The main gear would be a pain to get to, and to perform maintenance. So I was up until 1 last night redesigning my main gear again. What is really cool is that it will be very easy to get to, and uses less in wing space. This project is the hardest project I have ever taken on, there is times that I just feel that I am stalled, but then get it going again to only hit another stall. I am back on track now and will cut out a gear mock-up later tonight, first I have to take the family out to Texas Road House, I still have to keep everyone happy with all the time I put into work, and now this beast. I hope this gear design works as it will be much more compact and lighter. I also had to go to 2 air cylinders as I need to use smaller servos, only 350 total ounces now.

Thanks all,

DAG

2-5-09 B-36D redesigned gear test 001 (0 min 12 sec)
Old Feb 06, 2009, 12:52 PM
War Eagle!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2006
2,906 Posts
Excellent work.

The stall point you hit end up being half the fun. If this kind of thing were easy, no one would do it...
sneasle is offline Find More Posts by sneasle
Old Feb 06, 2009, 04:14 PM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Dag,

It seems most of the time dedicated to a scratch build is sorting out problems and the design issues that pop up. Based on your progress up to now, I am sure once you sort these things out it will come together really quickly.

Take your time and enjoy dealing with the little things, it makes it all the more enjoyable. Plus you get to bore people with stories about how it took you three goes to get XYZ just right and why MkIII is so much better. I look at it as a form of revenge for all those who just go the ARF route but don't appreciate exactly HOW MUCH WORK goes into scratch building....

Cheers
Clovus
evo62 is offline Find More Posts by evo62
Old Feb 06, 2009, 11:12 PM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,639 Posts
Heya Dag, good to see ya, didnt know this was here.

I posted links at rcu, no worries, third time I have been run off over there. The other 2 threads I was in had over a half million hits combined....and they shut em down...go figure.

So.....moving right along
Dad_Roman is offline Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Old Feb 07, 2009, 05:13 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo62
Dag,

It seems most of the time dedicated to a scratch build is sorting out problems and the design issues that pop up. Based on your progress up to now, I am sure once you sort these things out it will come together really quickly.

Take your time and enjoy dealing with the little things, it makes it all the more enjoyable. Plus you get to bore people with stories about how it took you three goes to get XYZ just right and why MkIII is so much better. I look at it as a form of revenge for all those who just go the ARF route but don't appreciate exactly HOW MUCH WORK goes into scratch building....

Cheers
Clovus
Thanks Clovus,
ARF's a great if you want to just get to the YANK & BANK part of the hobby, But building what was a really cool part of History at one time is a challenge. I just spent so long on the 3D and everything fits the first time perfect, but change anything in the design midstream and it can affect all kinds of things.

Thanks, DAG
Old Feb 07, 2009, 05:25 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Roman
Heya Dag, good to see ya, didnt know this was here.

I posted links at rcu, no worries, third time I have been run off over there. The other 2 threads I was in had over a half million hits combined....and they shut em down...go figure.

So.....moving right along
Thanks for joining in, not to trash RCU, but it just seem that I was getting stalked by people trying to push their products. And then deliver nothing. The real manufactures like ThunderPower, Hacker, Glennis, Zinger, (sorry if I missed one of you good guys) are great, but people that only get into our hobby to sell and pimp a repackaged product stink. This same person tried to convince me one of these companies was ripping people off for what they charged, I did some research and this person's product is just a repackaged product that he is marking up about 400%. RCU is good for what it is, but this site (RCG) and Flying Giants ROCK. I try to just build and share my build with all and stay out of the politics, but it really tweaks my feathers when so called experts try to tell me things that I know 110% are wrong, trashing JR radio's, trashing Glennis (which by the way Dennis is as dedicated to make the best possible product as anyone in the hobby, he really cares about us and the product we get), trashing the fact that I think SEFF would be a good place to take my B-36 to, And trash Joe Nall as a place to show up at. I have zero intentions of ever wanting to compete with this plane, I may show up and fly demo's, but not compete.

Ok, back to being happy you are here and I got the retract mock-up cut out last night and it looks great, will post pics later today.

Thanks, DAG
Last edited by dag214; Feb 07, 2009 at 05:34 AM.
Old Feb 07, 2009, 09:19 AM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
DAG, keep up the good work.

I wish full bore, I can be as productive as you are "stalled" .
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old Feb 07, 2009, 11:26 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,017 Posts
Here is my gear mock-up. I still have a couple of things to tweak, then testing.

DAG
Old Feb 07, 2009, 01:04 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,514 Posts
Dag you are killing me here...your mock ups are better then my finnished product!
Scott
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut