HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:20 AM
Electric Sound Guy
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined May 2009
61 Posts
Thanks,
It is a sampled sound system from the full scale engine. I have a decent library started of many engine sounds and variations. Total count is around 20 or so, including turbines. The system does not operate like the other competitive sound systems that are out there. I take the spectrum of the engine from various sources; in essence, many individual raw samples of various engine speeds for that engine, and seemlessly mix them together.

On other sound units you can download the wave files and even edit them on a computer. You can do that until your heart's content, but you will still have steps between each sound when it transistions to the next. This is why they take one sound and change it's pitch faster and create several wave files of different pitch for simulating the higher RPM's, then step the pitch lower for creating decreasing pitch in the lower RPM wave files. Also, if you try just taking several samples that are different in tone from different engine RPM's they will make the steps more noticeable. That's ok if you want that throbbing high end sound, but gettting to high throttle when you move the stick will not be smooth, and the natural ramping up and down of the engine will not be realistic.

You can tell from the videos I posted that the throttle is moved up and down several times slowly, especially on landing where you can hear what I'm talking about. I use a proprietary system and it is programmed by me. There is no software involved with putting the sounds on the unit. The samples are transferred to the board, It does the rest.

The system takes your throttle channel input and uses it for start, shutdown, and speed control. There is a servo output header that allows you to send the signal back to your ESC. You only need one board for the six engines. The startup would have to be simulated differently than the real aircraft because of the time it takes. My board can only handle a 13 sec startup and a 13 sec shutdown, but you can alter the sample to make it quicker. I could re-work the system to make it 26 seconds , but then you would have limit the system to only one engine sound.

The problem with trying to use several sound boards is when you mix single engine sounds with another single engine sound, you would not necessarily get the roar of several 4360's and turbines. It would be best to get the total engine sound of all of the engines in one unit and use that.

I offer 2 engine sounds with the unit, and it has a programming box that moves the startup where you want it on your TX. There is also a high throttle adjustment to allow you to match the total swing of the engine speed with your TX. That is because throttle channels may be set differently, like 50% servo travel, or 100% servo travel.

Sorry I am a bit long here, but that's the jist of it!!
Hope that answers it for you.
Reddogsr
reddogsr is offline Find More Posts by reddogsr
Last edited by reddogsr; Oct 26, 2012 at 08:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:21 PM
United States, OH, Galloway
Joined Aug 2008
31 Posts
Very cool and sounds great!
YAT-28E is online now Find More Posts by YAT-28E
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:23 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddogsr View Post
Thanks,
It is a sampled sound system from the full scale engine. I have a decent library started of many engine sounds and variations. Total count is around 20 or so, including turbines. The system does not operate like the other competitive sound systems that are out there. I take the spectrum of the engine from various sources; in essence, many individual raw samples of various engine speeds for that engine, and seemlessly mix them together.

Unlike the 3 competitors, there is more to it than just downloading wave files and editing them on a computer. You can do that until your heart's content, but you will still have steps between each sound when it transistions to the next. This is why the other guys take one sound and change it's pitch faster and create several wave files of different pitch for simulating the higher RPM's, then step the pitch lower for creating decreasing pitch in the lower RPM wave files. Also, if you try just taking several samples that are different in tone from different engine RPM's they will make the steps more noticeable. That's ok if you want that throbbing high end sound, but gettting to high throttle when you move the stick will not be smooth, and the natural ramping up and down of the engine will not be realistic.

You can tell from the videos I posted that the throttle is moved up and down several times slowly, especially on landing where you can hear what I'm talking about. I use a proprietary system and it is programmed by me. There is no software involved with putting the sounds on the unit. The samples are transferred to the board, It does the rest.

The system takes your throttle channel input and uses it for start, shutdown, and speed control. There is a servo output header that allows you to send the signal back to your ESC. You only need one board for the six engines. The startup would have to be simulated differently than the real aircraft because of the time it takes. My board can only handle a 13 sec startup and a 13 sec shutdown, but you can alter the sample to make it quicker. I could re-work the system to make it 26 seconds , but then you would have limit the system to only one engine sound.

The problem with trying to use several sound boards is when you mix single engine sounds with another single engine sound, you would not necessarily get the roar of several 4360's and turbines. It would be best to get the total engine sound of all of the engines in one unit and use that.

I offer 2 engine sounds with the unit, and it has a programming box that moves the startup where you want it on your TX. There is also a high throttle adjustment to allow you to match the total swing of the engine speed with your TX. That is because throttle channels may be set differently, like 50% servo travel, or 100% servo travel.

Sorry I am a bit long here, but that's the jist of it!!
Hope that answers it for you.
Reddogsr
VERY cool stuff!
I am on the road in Seattle.
When I get back I will PM you.
I want the sound of a 3 row radial for my Emmaselle II.

Very very cool stuff
DAG
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:44 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Thank you for the detailed explanation reddog, clearly a clever solution to the problem. I love learning how things work and now I know a little bit about simulating engine sounds.

Have you considered the potential market in full size EVs where their silent operation is not to everyone's liking?
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:51 AM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
Thank you for the detailed explanation reddog, clearly a clever solution to the problem. I love learning how things work and now I know a little bit about simulating engine sounds.

Have you considered the potential market in full size EVs where their silent operation is not to everyone's liking?
Yeah, you could pull your Chevy Volt up to the stop light and rev up a big cast iron V-8 and impress everybody!

Tony
tpfing is offline Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:06 AM
Old Submariner
United States, WI, Milton
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
V-8 Hell..... Merlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpfing View Post
Yeah, you could pull your Chevy Volt up to the stop light and rev up a big cast iron V-8 and impress everybody!

Tony
V-8 Hell ......... MERLIN- THEN they would be impressed.

Tom
teeceeveecee is offline Find More Posts by teeceeveecee
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:26 AM
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
1,612 Posts
Pratt & Whitney j-75 tied with your throttle setting, when you stomp it, the afterburner kicks in..... Too bad the Orenda Iroquois never made production before the Arrow got cancelled.

Of course, you'll probably need something like a 2000watt sound system to really rattle the windows. Makes it a bit of a oxymoron in an all-electric car, though....

Wet and rainy up here in Ontario, which makes me feel for everyone on the Eastern Seaboard who had the hurricane (frankenstorm) rattle through in the last few days.... Going downstairs to work on my parkflyer Cap10 after lunch.
byrocat is offline Find More Posts by byrocat
Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:37 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,482 Posts
I didn't think that the hurricane was due to hit until at least Tuesday. Did it speed up?

Tony
tpfing is offline Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:38 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,028 Posts
There is a huge storm moving across the USA. It runs from the Gulf of Mexico to above the Great Lakes, it will combine with Sandy and create a big mess for the East Coast Monday and Tuesday. The East Coast will be hammered. Dag got home just in time to stay out of all that stuff.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred

Check out:

http://www.intellicast.com/National/...x?animate=true
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Conehead; Oct 27, 2012 at 07:41 PM. Reason: added link to weather
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:19 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jan 2011
3,995 Posts
Man....Not looking forward to that one. Looks like I'm going to be right in the middle of it
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:09 AM
Cowboy of the skys
United States, Mt, Whitefish
Joined Oct 2010
1,065 Posts
dag and the other builders on this site i need help

ive been watching this impressive project for some time now and im looking to start one of my own but im afraid that im steping out of the box way to fast. im looking at building a 1/6th scale b17c model at 207in wingspan powered by radials engines. im young and i have the money to build it my issue is all i have built in my life is all the topflight kits and as a kid gilows kits (i dont think i spelled that right) so im asking should i hold off and keep building smaller planes or jump in and go. i know my plane will be fuel but watching this plane being built of this size i didnt know who to turn to.
warbird_cowboy is offline Find More Posts by warbird_cowboy
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:31 AM
Mount Juliet, TN
Joined Feb 2008
451 Posts
Cowboy. Dive in! It sounds as though you have plenty experience building.
If you go to rcscalebuilder.com, you'll find several build logs for b-17s. You can see how they did things. You may find build logs for your exact kit. Bottom line, the only way to get building experience is to build it!
ska2000 is offline Find More Posts by ska2000
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:57 AM
Cowboy of the skys
United States, Mt, Whitefish
Joined Oct 2010
1,065 Posts
well this b-17c is a one off the manufacture will be custom doing the kt for me and im on rc scale builder
warbird_cowboy is offline Find More Posts by warbird_cowboy
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:59 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post

Wasn't there a comedy made recently where a guy designed something like that?

Sorry for the OT post.

Just stopped in for an update to see what was happening and this caught my eye.

As usual, keep up the great work DAG!

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:01 AM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird_cowboy View Post
dag and the other builders on this site i need help

ive been watching this impressive project for some time now and im looking to start one of my own but im afraid that im steping out of the box way to fast. im looking at building a 1/6th scale b17c model at 207in wingspan powered by radials engines. im young and i have the money to build it my issue is all i have built in my life is all the topflight kits and as a kid gilows kits (i dont think i spelled that right) so im asking should i hold off and keep building smaller planes or jump in and go. i know my plane will be fuel but watching this plane being built of this size i didnt know who to turn to.
Just to be 100% clear, and this is 100% IMHO.

If you have done 2-3 top flight kits (not ARF's) you should have no problem

I have built over 5 topflight kits in the past, F4U, Jug, Mustang, P40, and Spit, and they are not really easy, not hard, but if they looked good and were not lead sleds you should be fine.

PM me if you have any questions, or post questions at my junk drawer...

Rock ON!!!

DAG
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214