SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 04, 2009, 01:57 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,678 Posts
Quote:
The Pontiac Vibe is a Toyota Matrix. It was a joint venture and built in California so there is probably some input from both GM and Toyota in there and built in a UAW plant along with the Matrix.
You are absolutely correct about that...sorry, I was just thinking Mazda for some reason...and considering the "Numi" (New United Motors) plant is less than 10 miles from me, you would think that I would remember that... oh well, just another senior moment I guess.

As to the Lincoln...I never said it was a rebadged Jaguar, it is a re-bodied. The body of the Jag and the Lincoln are not the same, but most of the mechanical parts are. The engine is a Jag design.

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2009, 02:03 AM
"NAVY CHIEFS"
NAF Atsugi, Japan
Joined Jul 2005
628 Posts
Landing gear

Dag,
I was checking out your 3D landing gear in between the crazy filler of Metric vs US standard measuring... Well I thing your heading in a great direction. When all is done I think you are going to end up with the Design of the Year. Alsome work going on in your house. Thanks for letting us see your work.

Thanks
Mike
rc_man1 is offline Find More Posts by rc_man1
Old Feb 04, 2009, 02:21 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
back to the plane...
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Feb 04, 2009, 06:42 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,196 Posts
Great work on the gear. What amazes me most about your project is the attention to detail in every aspect. My compliments again on what I'm sure will turn out to be a one of a kind great preforming aircraft. Mike
mike2663 is offline Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Feb 04, 2009, 09:36 AM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,040 Posts
Thanks for the great comments.

Here is my test animation to make sure the Gennis 5" wheels will fit. I have been having a really hard time deciding on if I am going with 5", or 4.5". To be true scale they need to be 5.15". The 5" just fit and scare me if anything were to snag up. The worst thing I could have happen is to land gear up. A prop strike would really tear up the back of the wing. But it really looks like 5" will fit, and I have to trust my design, so far it has all been spot on.

2-3-09 B-36D Gear door test fitting 001 (0 min 17 sec)

Thanks, DAG
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214
Old Feb 04, 2009, 03:14 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214

Here is my test animation to make sure the Gennis 5" wheels will fit. I have been having a really hard time deciding on if I am going with 5", or 4.5". To be true scale they need to be 5.15". The 5" just fit and scare me if anything were to snag up. The worst thing I could have happen is to land gear up. A prop strike would really tear up the back of the wing. But it really looks like 5" will fit, and I have to trust my design, so far it has all been spot on.

Thanks, DAG
That looks great.

A prop strike would not have to tear up the wing - kill the motors - should minimize damage.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Feb 04, 2009, 03:28 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816
That looks great.

A prop strike would not have to tear up the wing - kill the motors - should minimize damage.

Rick
They are 3 blade props and with the moment arm from the mount wall it would most likely tear off the rear of the wing. With it being 3 blades not much I can do if a gear does not come down. A 3 blade 20" prop offers a 10" moment arm to the 5.75 distance the motor mount sets from the mount wall.

Thanks, DAG
Old Feb 04, 2009, 04:12 PM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas
Joined Apr 2006
1,589 Posts
Quote:

Thanks, DAG
Dag, couldnt you make your wheel well's just a little to big ?

That would be horrible if they did hang up on this plane !!!
And I have always with every retract that folds up toward the wing had that problem at one time or another.

Listen to me sounding like I have had 100's of retracts on my planes ...lol lol lol...
I have only had 5 ...lol lol lol...

Anyway, I went to Home Depot and the largest aluminum tape they carry is 2 7/8" wide.
It didnt say what the adhiesive was...it just said that it held up to 300 something degree's.

I would like one of your roll's of 6" when you get them, no hurry at all because I dont need it I just want it ...lol lol lol...

I am building a F7F Tigercat some time and I was thinking it would be cool to cover it like you are and paint it Blue and let it get scratched up !!!
I think that would look cool !!!....

Seeya, Tim
Tim Farrar is offline Find More Posts by Tim Farrar
Old Feb 04, 2009, 05:27 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Farrar
Dag, couldnt you make your wheel well's just a little to big ?

That would be horrible if they did hang up on this plane !!!
And I have always with every retract that folds up toward the wing had that problem at one time or another.

Listen to me sounding like I have had 100's of retracts on my planes ...lol lol lol...

Anyway, I went to Home Depot and the largest aluminum tape they carry is 2 7/8" wide.
It didnt say what the adhiesive was...it just said that it held up to 300 something degree's.

I would like one of your roll's of 6" when you get them, no hurry at all because I dont need it I just want it ...lol lol lol...

I am building a F7F Tigercat some time and I was thinking it would be cool to cover it like you are and paint it Blue and let it get scratched up !!!
I think that would look cool !!!....

Seeya, Tim
Tim,
This size may be to big, I am worried about the gear getting tweaked and getting hung up in the gear well (very tight fit), With the gear down the jet engines will hit before the props, but with the gear up the #1&2, and #5&6 props will hit. But I have decided on the 5" and will just have to make the gear wells perfect. So far all my calcs have been 99.8ish correct. I just have to trust my design that it will hold up.

Thanks, DAG

And as soon as I have the tape I will PM you.
Old Feb 04, 2009, 08:48 PM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas
Joined Apr 2006
1,589 Posts
OK Dag, Thanks buddy !!

Seeya, Tim
Tim Farrar is offline Find More Posts by Tim Farrar
Old Feb 04, 2009, 09:33 PM
Joined Dec 2008
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Farrar

Seeya, Tim
Hey, that's five more than me, Tim! Well, unless you count the instantaneous retracts I've made with just the right (or wrong!) type of landing. Retracts em' great - once.
OCFlyer1960 is offline Find More Posts by OCFlyer1960
Old Feb 05, 2009, 06:11 AM
Hartsville, SC
Joined Apr 2006
897 Posts
Quote:
They are 3 blade props and with the moment arm from the mount wall it would most likely tear off the rear of the wing. With it being 3 blades not much I can do if a gear does not come down. A 3 blade 20" prop offers a 10" moment arm to the 5.75 distance the motor mount sets from the mount wall.

Thanks, DAG
You may want to give some thought to re-designing the motor mounts in such a way that if you are forced to land with gears down the propeller will tear a part that is designed to fail before the main structure tears substanial part of the wing? What I have in mind is a subplate made from say 3/16" 5 ply mounted with plastic bolts to the main structure and under normal loads will take the torque of the motor but will tear the plastic bolts if it sees certain tesion and bending forces.
N99JH is online now Find More Posts by N99JH
Old Feb 05, 2009, 06:56 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N99JH
You may want to give some thought to re-designing the motor mounts in such a way that if you are forced to land with gears down the propeller will tear a part that is designed to fail before the main structure tears substanial part of the wing? What I have in mind is a subplate made from say 3/16" 5 ply mounted with plastic bolts to the main structure and under normal loads will take the torque of the motor but will tear the plastic bolts if it sees certain tesion and bending forces.
Thanks,
I have thought about a sheer plate, and also looked at the 6-32 nylon bolts. My challenge is that I am already building a very light wing structure, for me to know how little bolt would protect a very light design may be very hard. If I were ever to have a motor come loose just from vibration that would be a really bad day. I think the right direction would be a sheer plate. That way it would pull the motor of the firewall, and just take out the cowling. And maybe the horizontal stab. I think a 3/32 ply might work and it would just pull the bolts thru the wood, of tear out the wood.

As I get farther along n the nacelle firewall design I will post pics.

Thanks,
DAG
Old Feb 05, 2009, 11:12 AM
Hartsville, SC
Joined Apr 2006
897 Posts
You can simulate the shear plate design by machining a piece of wood or aluminum to simulate the hacker, attach it to the shear plate mounted to a simulated nacelle and give it a good whack to see what happens. I think that it will be easy enough to do and get an idea.
N99JH is online now Find More Posts by N99JH
Old Feb 05, 2009, 12:23 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N99JH
You can simulate the shear plate design by machining a piece of wood or aluminum to simulate the hacker, attach it to the shear plate mounted to a simulated nacelle and give it a good whack to see what happens. I think that it will be easy enough to do and get an idea.
That might work, but it does not take into account the huge gyroscopic forces that are put on the mount during flight. But it will come close. This project has a lot in common with a full scale plane, the gear has to work or it is going to cost you some $$$$$.

Thanks, DAG