HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:49 AM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,731 Posts
Hey all,

Keep in mind (like Alexander stated) that the copilot is standing next to me and will read off telemetry when needed, be my spotter, and flip a few switches when I call for them. However the copilot is also just a second set of eyes. On many of my complex planes in the past it is nice to have someone there as a sounding board.

One time I had a twin glow B-25, just as I finished a high speed pass I lost a motor, my buddy next to me started saying things like "you do know you just lost a engine, keep your nose down and your speed up, don't try for the field, if you have to land in the tall grass, keep your gear up until you have made the field, you want me to shut up?"

He really did help me stay on task, and I got the plane down fine. If I would have been low and slow it would have been a different story.

That second brain, and set of eyes is a good thing. I had a few buddies that asked me if my buddy talking to me in that situation was bad, and I said no, if anything it was someone else reinforcing what I was trying to do.

Rock ON!!!!!!

DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:59 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdelapen View Post
Hey DAG,

Look what just arrived (Lilly approves)!!! Off to the post office tomorrow

- Birger
Wow,

Those are sooooo KEWL.......

Rock ON!!!!!!!!!
DAG
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:32 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
I had a few buddies that asked me if my buddy talking to me in that situation was bad, and I said no, if anything it was someone else reinforcing what I was trying to do.
Absolutely. Only a real egotist doesn't welcome confirmation. My regular (full size) flying chum and I have no problem with whoever is in the RH seat 'stating the bleedin' obvious'. Because there may come a time when the PIC is dealing with a detail, and will miss the bleedin' obvious.....

I've not been saying much, but still been looking in here every day and learning loads.

Don't stop, keep rockin' Damon!!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:42 AM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,305 Posts
Quote:
Hey all,

Keep in mind (like Alexander stated) that the copilot is standing next to me and will read off telemetry when needed, be my spotter, and flip a few switches when I call for them. However the copilot is also just a second set of eyes. On many of my complex planes in the past it is nice to have someone there as a sounding board.

One time I had a twin glow B-25, just as I finished a high speed pass I lost a motor, my buddy next to me started saying things like "you do know you just lost a engine, keep your nose down and your speed up, don't try for the field, if you have to land in the tall grass, keep your gear up until you have made the field, you want me to shut up?"

He really did help me stay on task, and I got the plane down fine. If I would have been low and slow it would have been a different story.

That second brain, and set of eyes is a good thing. I had a few buddies that asked me if my buddy talking to me in that situation was bad, and I said no, if anything it was someone else reinforcing what I was trying to do.

Rock ON!!!!!!

DAG
A copilot is more than a second pair of eyes as your B25 copilot demonstrated. He must understand what information you need as well as when and how to tell you. A copilot giving me information I donít need is frequently worse than no help. I learned this long ago when I first started fly pattern contest and later scale, pylon racing, and sailplane contests. Donít tell me how to fly but what maneuver is next, when the flagman signals the turn, or what lift the other sailplanes have found. My pylon caller would not be much use at a sailplane contest. I am sure you will give your usual careful planning and training to the copilot for your B36.
ChuckA is online now Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:02 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,430 Posts
Found this quote from a long time ago and I have always found it extremely amusing (and I do realize this is distracting from the thread) ; I am the co-pilot, I sit on the right, It's up to me to be quick and bright, I never talk back for I have regrets, But I have to remember what the Captain forgets, I make out the flight plan and study the weather, Pull up the gear, stand by to feather, Make out the mail forms and do the reporting, And fly the old crate while the captain is courting, I take the readings, adjust the power, Put on the heaters when we're in a shower. Tell him where we are at the darkest of night, And do all the bookwork without any light.I call for my captain and buy him cokes.I always laugh at his corny jokes, And once in a while when his landings are rusty, I always come through with, "By gosh it's gusty," All in all I'm a general stooge, As I sit on the right of the man I call "Scrooge," I guess you think this is past understanding, But maybe some day he will give me a landing!
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:15 AM
Lear 35, GII, GIII pilot
Hazlehurst GA
Joined Jan 2001
387 Posts
A Co-pilot's job is to 'grease the skids' for the 'hero' who is flying....he is the manager of the cockpit and all the details. It is his job to stay ahead of the airplane, and keep everything in line for the pilot manipulating the controls. A lot of responsibility, but well worth it. The two are a team, both working towards the same goal....a smooth, 'boring' flight for the passengers.
agpilot24 is offline Find More Posts by agpilot24
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:40 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,737 Posts
Quote:
You know buddy.

Here is a short list...... But none live close to me...

Conehead
Birger
Tonystott
Coptercapt
AlexanderB
Captmike
Click the pirate
demondriver
Ducky22
fooman
jsmith285
modeone
Murocflyer
thedeuce
The Big E

Well, and a few more.

May end up just being the luck of the straw at the field....

Rock on my friend....

DAG
It would be a privilege and honor to be your co-pilot on any of your historic flights.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:40 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
Absolutely. Only a real egotist doesn't welcome confirmation. My regular (full size) flying chum and I have no problem with whoever is in the RH seat 'stating the bleedin' obvious'. Because there may come a time when the PIC is dealing with a detail, and will miss the bleedin' obvious.....

I've not been saying much, but still been looking in here every day and learning loads.

Don't stop, keep rockin' Damon!!
Spot on mate.....

Cheers, and rock on!!!!

DAG
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:54 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckA View Post
A copilot is more than a second pair of eyes as your B25 copilot demonstrated. He must understand what information you need as well as when and how to tell you. A copilot giving me information I don’t need is frequently worse than no help. I learned this long ago when I first started fly pattern contest and later scale, pylon racing, and sailplane contests. Don’t tell me how to fly but what maneuver is next, when the flagman signals the turn, or what lift the other sailplanes have found. My pylon caller would not be much use at a sailplane contest. I am sure you will give your usual careful planning and training to the copilot for your B36.
One time I had a Top Flight F4U, I had spent a TONE of time building it. Cover the whole plane in Chrome Mono-Kote and then painted the 3 color Marine scheme (I could scratch the paint and you could see the mono kote under looking like metal). Well on the test flight being a glow plane I wanted to make sure the engine did not go lean and die. So like a idiot I had is slobbery rich and as I got her into the air she would barely stay there. One of my best flying buddies Dave was standing just behind me and saw I was in trouble and i heard him say "just fly the plane", then "keep you nose don't and don't go for anymore altitude"... The plane was dip its wing and finally stall by rolling on to its back, he then with a bit loader voice " just fly it", so with the plane now on its back I was flying inverted and she was actually more stable. Don't ask me why a F4U was flying now better up side down, but it was. So now I am in complete brain lock-up, and just about to freeze everything I am doing and now I hear my buddy (who is now standing next to me) sat " quite showing off and land her. As I started to enter base I rolled her back over and started to put the nose down and fly right back to the field, I landed to hot on flipped her over crushing the rudder, but she did fly again.

The point here is that I believe anyone can have brain lock, and sometimes having a extra brain next to you can be a huge help.

You know I am feeling old, I turn 50 in Feb, and I am starting to see I have learned so much being around Control Line and RC for just about 40 years now.

I love all the experience I have gotten, but man do I feel old.....

The F4U test flight happened around 20 years ago as my son was just a baby..... And my buddy Dave (who was one of the greatest modeler I have known) is now dead......

Rock ON!!!!!
DAG
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:55 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman2008 View Post
Found this quote from a long time ago and I have always found it extremely amusing (and I do realize this is distracting from the thread) ; I am the co-pilot, I sit on the right, It's up to me to be quick and bright, I never talk back for I have regrets, But I have to remember what the Captain forgets, I make out the flight plan and study the weather, Pull up the gear, stand by to feather, Make out the mail forms and do the reporting, And fly the old crate while the captain is courting, I take the readings, adjust the power, Put on the heaters when we're in a shower. Tell him where we are at the darkest of night, And do all the bookwork without any light.I call for my captain and buy him cokes.I always laugh at his corny jokes, And once in a while when his landings are rusty, I always come through with, "By gosh it's gusty," All in all I'm a general stooge, As I sit on the right of the man I call "Scrooge," I guess you think this is past understanding, But maybe some day he will give me a landing!
Foo
Very KEWL

DAG
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:25 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,430 Posts
Had site supervisor (working construction) who when you asked him for a job description would say; "get you what you need to do the job, and keep the bosses away from you. You know what to do and how to do and they just distract you from getting it done." We were all stunned when he said it but he was right he just kept the distractions to a minimum and made sure we had the tools and materials we needed to do the job in a timely manner. If we had a problem he was the steady voice in your ear (much like your buddy on the Corsair) to keep you focused on the ultimate goal. Unfortunately he got into a pissing match with a company VP and them let him go after half a dozen jobs/sites, never have had jobs run as well before or since.
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:32 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Dec 2008
351 Posts
Thanks for the inclusion...and I want to be there if for nothing else, moral support.. (and of course work on you going to the "Dark Side" some more....
coptercptn is online now Find More Posts by coptercptn
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:36 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coptercptn View Post
Thanks for the inclusion...and I want to be there if for nothing else, moral support.. (and of course work on you going to the "Dark Side" some more....
I am already on the dark side.....

Clue..... T-Rex 700=S58 Electric Design!!

DAG
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:31 AM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
565 Posts
Dag did those labels show up yet that I sent you.
cbarnes0061 is offline Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:47 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnes0061 View Post
Dag did those labels show up yet that I sent you.
Yep!!!!
Last night, was going to take a pic with them and my girl and post.....

They are perfect, I had no idea they made the kind you can write on.

THANKS 110%%%%

DAG