HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:34 PM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,329 Posts
I have been using XPS with my Evo transmitter for five years now without a glitch or lost bind. I have observed crashes at my local field with Futaba and Spectrum 2.4 radios over the last 5 years. Just last Wednesday, I saw a JR radio lose bind when the pilot went to fly again and all he did was turn the receiver and transmitter off between flights. He bound the model to the transmitter again and flew more flights but I would not have flow again. I put the first XPS receiver away when I got an end plug XPS receiver. Four years later, I installed the original receiver in one of my larger models that didn't need end plug receivers and it was still bound to the transmitter. I am not waiting for the 16/32 channel transmitter since I have no need for more than 6 channels and my two Evos handle everything I need.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:39 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,396 Posts
I do like their existing equipment, but I am so burnt out on hearing about the 16ch... it's a ghost.
I hear ya on the JR/Spektrum...

Well Dag, you will certainly have time to think this one over. If you sneak on up to HAEFFI, I am sure you will get the opportunity to play with both the Futaba and Spektrum 18 channels.
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bush Pilots- AK
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:57 PM
Mount Juliet, TN
Joined Feb 2008
453 Posts
Ha... jus tto add more mud to the water, you have to take a look at Futaba s-bus for cleaning up your risers. It's a hub and spoke technology. But man... it would be pricey. But even with non-s-bus to s-bus servo converters (Futaba has native s-bus servos, but that would mean even more expense!), there might be weight savings too after eliminating a lot of long servo leads. *shrug*.

I think, if it were me, I'd use the stuff you have. You have good stuff! How much better would any other stuff be? No matter how good, any other radio system could only be marginally better at best! Just because there is other stuff available, that's no reason to drive yourself nuts wondering if you should "upgrade". You have great stuff! You are at the point of diminishing returns. The only way to get a system that is measurably better is to invest millions in the "stuff" the US military uses to fly drones half way around the world. I say, use what you have. At the very most, upgrade to DSMX. That, at least, wouldn't totally break the bank.
ska2000 is offline Find More Posts by ska2000
Last edited by ska2000; Sep 14, 2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:18 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
Thanks!!!!!!!

The hard facts are that I need to look at the radio systems I have now and figure out what to do. I keep trying to crunch my numbers every which way I can and the fact is this planes budget has gone completely out of control. I need to buy 2 sets of flight packs, that is 20 Lipos. I really want to stay the "KISS" format when coming up with my final radio layout. It may be less expensive for me to get one rock solid huge power expander and use one of my JR RX's that have 4 satellite receivers (this system has been rock solid on my Emmaselle) but is DSM 2, I know I need X, or is it Y or Z now.
In the last 4 years I have spent over 3k on JR stuff, just have to figure out how to use it. Mac's set-up is really nice how he has it set up as 3 systems, but one of my problems is the weight out in the wing (at least that is what I have a fear of). In each wing will be 2 hackers with ESC, 2 Wicked Fans with ESC, and my lighting system. I have 2 JR DSM-2 12 channel RX's, and 2 JR DSM-2 9 channels RX's. I have really give it some serious thought to use 1 of the 12 channels in the fuse for flight controls, and stick one each of the other 2 9 channels in the wings, leaving me 1 remaining 12 channel for the bomb bays, and eye candy stuff. But this set up would fit better (i think) into a single radio set up (or will a 12 channel DSM-2 RX bind with a 9 channel TX and you just don't have the extra channels0.

Sorry for being so wordy, just I am getting to the point where I see this thing flying and my mind is smashed with all this stuff, while trying to run the rest of my life....

Rock On!!!!

DAG
Hey Dag, it's been a while, missed you @ SEFF this year (I just could't make it). I just changed over from the JR 12x to the Spektrum DX18 and I have to say, it's got some slick features. Everyone always talks about the basic fuctionality so I won't bore you, but things you might like include;

1.) You can assign any TX channel to any RX channel.
2.) You can assign any switch to any function.
3.) Speed control over ALL channels, not just flaps ;-)
4.) Balance function. Imaging you have 2 flaps moving slightly differently. Normally you'y adjust linkage but if that didn't work, you'd go to sub trims or a match box but... Sometimes they line up closed and open but get there moving slightly differently. The balance function allows you to not only set end points but control the way they align all the way through the movement!
5.) 16 Mixes.
6.) Built-in Sequencer, right from the TX!
7.) Telemetry built-in, displayed right on your TX screen. Many existing sensors today and future ones in development (like JetCat ECU functions).
8.) 2-cell 2,600 mAh LiPo TX pack standard, lasts for days.
9.) Flash card slot for saving model memory and firmware updates, includes flash card.
10.) Most importantly (for me), it is fully backward compatible with my older DSM2 stuff (though you'll need DSMx for telemetry).

So far I love it, so many of the features I am used to but so many more and even easier to use. When you setup the wing (and tail) type for example, etc, it asks if you are splitting any surfaces and then names everything accordingly, no more trying to figure our Aux 3 is what? ;-)

Jack
jfetter is online now Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:26 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lilja View Post
IF this radio makes it to market, and IF it proves reliable, this would be the ticket. Love him or hate him, Jim Drew has interesting ideas
Ken
Ideas sure but most never make it to fruition and those folks that follow and believe (and wait!) are left feeling cheated most of the time. Please don't take my word, look him up, this goes back to the 90's and the Amiga computer days, moves into the paint ball industry and ends up in the R/C area. The industries may differ but the MO is the same sadly...

Jack
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:57 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,471 Posts
Quote:
......But this set up would fit better (i think) into a single radio set up (or will a 12 channel DSM-2 RX bind with a 9 channel TX and you just don't have the extra channels0.
Yes Dag, you can bind a lower channel TX to a higher channel RX and have control of the matching channels...

Jack
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:29 AM
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,505 Posts
Quote:
...I would have 6 RX's in the plane...Times like this I wish I would have taken up scratch building foamies...
Seeing what's going to be involved just in the control system(s) of this beast makes me glad I never had ambitions beyond scratch building foamies...
Depronicus is online now Find More Posts by Depronicus
Old Sep 16, 2012, 06:05 AM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Foxfire Village, NC
Joined Nov 2003
1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
Ideas sure but most never make it to fruition and those folks that follow and believe (and wait!) are left feeling cheated most of the time. Please don't take my word, look him up, this goes back to the 90's and the Amiga computer days, moves into the paint ball industry and ends up in the R/C area. The industries may differ but the MO is the same sadly...

Jack
+1 Snake oil.
bigbobed is online now Find More Posts by bigbobed
Old Sep 16, 2012, 06:14 AM
Scratch Builder
Braunschweig, Germany
Joined Sep 2006
1,325 Posts
Hi Damon,

It was so great meeting you and seeing your amazing craftsmanship.

Cheers Alexander
AlexanderB is offline Find More Posts by AlexanderB
Old Sep 16, 2012, 06:50 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,996 Posts
Radio Gear

Damon,

I've been using the DX18 for a few weeks - it has a number of features that will make programming your machine easier. For example, where you have multiple servos on one surface, you can set the motion for each separately so that they move identically.

You can program sequences.

The programming features have been greatly simplified. 16 mixes and three types.

It comes with an AR9020 - nine channels plus.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Sep 16, 2012, 07:31 AM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderB View Post
Hi Damon,

It was so great meeting you and seeing your amazing craftsmanship.

Cheers Alexander
Hi friend, was with out a doubt one of the greatest visits ever. have fun at WPAFM.

Also, can't wait for the S58, I will start 3D as soon as I have specs.

Cheers, and safe travels home......

Damon
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214
Old Sep 16, 2012, 07:37 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,002 Posts
Hey all, about the radio stuff, I will either use the JR stuff I have, or go to Futaba or Jeti. There is 110% no way I will by anything from JR/Spectrum. I am sure they are a great bunch, but they have had just so many changes with getting it right, plus the way I was treated at the DOGS show a year ago (not last month) just sticks in my mind. I work in a industry that no matter the person, not matter the ego, not matter what mood the person is in, they get my time, and what ever support I can give them.

I have to say that after a bit of hardcore research I really like this:
http://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-dupl...try-radio.aspx

With this I would have 4Rx's for flight controls(2 in fuse, 1 in each wing), and my 9303 with 1 RX for my copilot radio.

Rock ON!!!!!

DAG
Old Sep 16, 2012, 07:46 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,471 Posts
Quote:
Hey all, about the radio stuff, I will either use the JR stuff I have, or go to Futaba or Jeti. There is 110% no way I will by anything from JR/Spectrum. I am sure they are a great bunch, but they have had just so many changes with getting it right, plus the way I was treated at the DOGS show a year ago (not last month) just sticks in my mind. I work in a industry that no matter the person, not matter the ego, not matter what mood the person is in, they get my time, and what ever support I can give them.

With this I would have 4Rx's for flight controls(2 in fuse, 1 in each wing), and my 9303 with 1 RX for my copilot radio.

Rock ON!!!!!

DAG
Dag,

Don't let one incident make your decision, I don't know what happend but if you need to talk to someone from Spektrum to make something right or get firm answers, let me help with that. Whatever radio you choose, do your homework and talk to some in the industry as some deals between manufacturers that existed for years don't exist anymore, and some of them (no names here) are changing their systems again and the new system won't be backward cmpatible. Likewise, another one of the systems on your list still isn't certified in the US. My point, choose based on features and support and big picture product path. if you had a bad experience (and your argument is certainly fair, you have to judge a company by their representation, even on a "bad day"), put yourself in their position as someone who would make it right if this were your company, and see if they will do the same. I guess my point is, look at it from both sides ;-)

Jack
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:34 AM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,249 Posts
Quote:

Rock ON!!!!!

DAG
I don't post much on this thread but I must say that's one heck of a radio. Jim
Jimbo45cn is offline Find More Posts by Jimbo45cn
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:39 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
Dag,

Don't let one incident make your decision, I don't know what happend but if you need to talk to someone from Spektrum to make something right or get firm answers, let me help with that. Whatever radio you choose, do your homework and talk to some in the industry as some deals between manufacturers that existed for years don't exist anymore, and some of them (no names here) are changing their systems again and the new system won't be backward cmpatible. Likewise, another one of the systems on your list still isn't certified in the US. My point, choose based on features and support and big picture product path. if you had a bad experience (and your argument is certainly fair, you have to judge a company by their representation, even on a "bad day"), put yourself in their position as someone who would make it right if this were your company, and see if they will do the same. I guess my point is, look at it from both sides ;-)

Jack
Hi Jack,
I know you have not been around here for awhile, but this JR thing has been discussed at least 5 times in the last 12-16 months, I have tried 3 times at 3 different shows to talk to them about large plane set-ups and this is my take.

1. They are Jerks (unlikely as they have a huge following).
2. I am a jerk.
2. They just don't like me (doubt it, as whats not to like)
3. They are intimidated by my god like abilities to attract woman.
4. They are afraid of these huge plane projects as if any thing goes wrong with the radio bind, link, dropped frames, or what ever, they may look like their DSM2X is still not rock solid, or..... they at the time did not believe in their DSM2.

What ever it is every time I have been at a event the Futaba guys rock, and are around hanging out with my planes, or I am just hanging out around their booth and someone is always asking me if I need help, and when I tell them about my project, they are always sharing ideas, and giving me ideas.

So say what you will, and I am sure people still say I am new to electrics and I will never get this plane done, but the facts are:
1. 6 years invested in electrics
2. Around 30k in projects, and 8k is motors, radios, ESC, and batteries stuff.
3. 255+ hours of testing set-ups and tracking all data.
4. Half the crap out there about electrics comes from so called experts that have never pushed a theory past what someone else has already told them, and that expert may be wrong. I have learn to live by my karma god and just keep my mouth shut in sharing anything out side my threads. And I know I will miss a few here, but guys like demondriver, J morgan, AlexanderB, Birger, and coptercapt and a few other are real scratch-building-inventor-creators that have taken their ideas to true craftsmanship levels. They have done it right most likely after doing it wrong a few times.

As I have said over a hundred times here, I have never asked for a hand out, a sponsor, a freebee, or zilch, nothing, I have in fact turned down people. Sure on my website I take donations for whoever wants to offer something for my free drawings that can be downloaded, but that won't even pay for gas to the flying Field.

Sorry to be so wordy,

And I know some think I am an a-hole, and thats fine, but many will offer advice with nothing to back it, and I have no time for that, and those that know me, 110% understand me.

To date fact is:
I could not have done this project without the help from many.

Birger
Cherokee Flyer
AlexanderB
And many other-especially who supplied my power supplies who my brain just took a fart and I am drawing a blank on........
Thunder Power
Hacker
Castle
Biela
Aircraft International
Wicked EDF's
Tru-Turn
Glennis Wheels
National Balsa

Rock On!!!!!!!!
DAG