Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:51 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod View Post
was not familiar with that acronym either
Yeah I would think if I spent this long on a project and it failed miserably... I'd probably laugh at the situation at first... then later privately rage off and on about what could have been done different etc, but I have a feeling DAG would take it in stride. Not like this is the only thing going on in his life, or even the most important At the very least he spent a long time doing something he loved and probably learned and progressed a lot while doing it so even if it never flew or crashed, not all would be lost.
You sir are SPOT ON right.

I hope I don't junks myself here.

I have built and design more than a few RC aircraft. All have flown, maybe not well, but did fly. I have test flown 100's of planes for friends. So far 100% of my crashes have been from me showing off, or just doing something dumb like flying my plane out of fuel, or looking at all the moms at the field and forgetting to fuel my plane in the first place. I am not a good 3D type pilot, but a darn good test pilot. I fly rudder and I know how to just keep the nose down and fly the plane. If I were to lose the B-36.... sure it would suck, but believe me when I say.... if you don't think it can happen it will.... RC planes are like anything else, sometimes things just go wrong, and you move on to something easier like a 200" C130. If she crashed, I would make sure I could make up a cool lie so after 2-3 months the story would go something like this.... As I left the ground the number 3 engine threw a blade, that blade took out my number 3 flap which over loaded my servo and took out my #2 RX as the plane started a slow roll to the left I yelled to my co-pilot give me jets at 100%, as I fed in 100% rudder I saw I could keep her level, knowing that the bomb bays can cause adverse yaw I yelled to the co-pilot to open the bomb bays, as he did she started a slow turn, so now I knew as long as he open and close the bomb bays I might get her back, just as we complete the turn the #3 jet in pod 2 had the ESC over heat and started to smoke, then we saw fire, it was at this time I knew we would lose her..... so we gave the order to bail out and pulled the power back and lower the nose. It took 75 hefty bags to clean up the mess.....

Oh, and here is a list (not 100% complete) of a few of my past planes......

DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:43 PM
United States, MI, Marquette
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
That was good Dag.
Taget is offline Find More Posts by Taget
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:42 PM
Fly and Crash
United States, WI, Waukesha
Joined Aug 2009
89 Posts
My changes in red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
As I left the ground the number 3 engine threw a blade, that blade took out my number 3 flap which over loaded my servo and took out my #2 RX as the plane started a slow roll to the left I yelled to my co-pilot give me jets at 100%, as I fed in 100% rudder I saw I could keep her level, knowing that the bomb bays can cause adverse yaw I yelled to the co-pilot to open the bomb bays, as he SHE *Emma* did she started a slow turn, so now I knew as long as he open and close the bomb bays I might get her back, ......

DAG
I may be going out on a limb, and I don't know about everyone else who has been watching this, but I believe the co-pilot will be Emma for most of these flights and it's a shame DAG won't admit to it.

Anyways, can't wait to see the video of the maiden flight. Thanks for all the photo's of the build. Keep up the good work, this thing is awesome.
dieselBird is offline Find More Posts by dieselBird
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:07 AM
Scratch Builder
Braunschweig, Germany
Joined Sep 2006
1,325 Posts
Damon,

To me this sounds like a strange discussion. Of course a crash can happen under certain circumstances. But to prevent this you put an extraordinary effort in engineering. This is clearly visible to everyone here.

I will be in a comparable situation when i maiden my DC-6

It seems that the question of crash is more important to others than to the ones who design and build RC planes. For the ones who design and build planes "crash is not an option" but my clubmates still think I'm crazy to build a plane over a period of 4yrs and fly it eventually!
If it happens, it is as simple as Emma stated...

Cu Friday!!!!!!!

Cheers Alexander
AlexanderB is offline Find More Posts by AlexanderB
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:49 AM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,199 Posts
Looks like Michail forgot to tell us of his own RC efforts........ hmmmm
Tonystott is online now Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:54 AM
Suspended Account
Switzerland
Joined Aug 2012
173 Posts
Tony: I fly micros, parkflyers, hotliners, and Cessna's (not the toy plane versions) in that order. I hope this answers your question.

Mick (spelled "Mikhail")
mikhail tupulov is offline Find More Posts by mikhail tupulov
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:11 AM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Aug 2008
2,614 Posts
Not to throw more fuel on the fire but here goes...

When I was younger I was part of an engineering/execution organization where we won many large competitions (not trying to be secretive, just don't want to derail while making a point). We were always told that we were "lucky" when that we won so often or that it was because we had more money. We always thought about it the following way: the reason we had more money is because we raised more money but we never thought we were lucky, our motto was "luck is where preparation and opportunity come together"

As a modeler I have had the fortune to maiden many many (100+) planes for myself (obviously) and for many other people, including scratch built planes as well as pre-production prototypes for commercial manufacturers. Have I had accidents? Yes, less than can be counted on one hand, but still every one of those planes has lived to fly again. Again, this is just the coming together of preparation and opportunity, I would definitely consider myself a skilled pilot especially under duress but more importantly, I never fly a plane before going over it extremely thoroughly.

Clearly DAG is going through and will continue to go through every system of the plane extremely thoroughly, I have also seen him fly a lot and he is also a very accomplished pilot as well as having an excellent track record as a scratch builder. So although this doesn't guarantee that the maiden will be successful the probability is very high.

So here is to DAG completing his preparation and having the opportunity to maiden this beauty.

- Birger

P.S. Nobody is perfect, I've seen DAG put Emaselle into a pretty unexpected (albeit recoverable) stall, oh yeah, and I have video evidence
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bdelapen; Sep 12, 2012 at 10:13 AM. Reason: typo
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:44 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,629 Posts
Wow! Every time I come back through this thread, I am simply amazed not only by the scale, but of the quality of your craftsmanship. You are doing such a fantastic job, and the pace of progress is unbelievable to watch.

Out of curiosity, do you believe this might be flying by SEFF 2013? Thanks for bringing it to show this year; I got to get up close and appreciate all the work you have done!

Keep it up!

BsB
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nice Pic
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:35 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdelapen View Post
Not to throw more fuel on the fire but here goes...

When I was younger I was part of an engineering/execution organization where we won many large competitions (not trying to be secretive, just don't want to derail while making a point). We were always told that we were "lucky" when that we won so often or that it was because we had more money. We always thought about it the following way: the reason we had more money is because we raised more money but we never thought we were lucky, our motto was "luck is where preparation and opportunity come together"

As a modeler I have had the fortune to maiden many many (100+) planes for myself (obviously) and for many other people, including scratch built planes as well as pre-production prototypes for commercial manufacturers. Have I had accidents? Yes, less than can be counted on one hand, but still every one of those planes has lived to fly again. Again, this is just the coming together of preparation and opportunity, I would definitely consider myself a skilled pilot especially under duress but more importantly, I never fly a plane before going over it extremely thoroughly.

Clearly DAG is going through and will continue to go through every system of the plane extremely thoroughly, I have also seen him fly a lot and he is also a very accomplished pilot as well as having an excellent track record as a scratch builder. So although this doesn't guarantee that the maiden will be successful the probability is very high.

So here is to DAG completing his preparation and having the opportunity to maiden this beauty.

- Birger

P.S. Nobody is perfect, I've seen DAG put Emaselle into a pretty unexpected (albeit recoverable) stall, oh yeah, and I have video evidence
LOL......

I knew that would bit me in my AS_ one day.

I have a bad habit and that is when many other planes are in the air I really try hard to keep my eyes as wide as they will go to make sure I am staying out of everyone's way. Add a bunch of screaming electrics, a TON of wind, and 15 hours of driving, and yep... things can go wrong real fast. At SEFF I stalled my 197" baby in a turn where it took110% of all the rudder she had to stop it from spinning. It was one of those holy _ _ _ _ moments when just for a sec I though " ok if she is going to go in am I away from people". But my Scott Crossfield skills got me out of it.

LOL......
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:38 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Wow! Every time I come back through this thread, I am simply amazed not only by the scale, but of the quality of your craftsmanship. You are doing such a fantastic job, and the pace of progress is unbelievable to watch.

Out of curiosity, do you believe this might be flying by SEFF 2013? Thanks for bringing it to show this year; I got to get up close and appreciate all the work you have done!

Keep it up!

BsB
Thanks so much for the kind words.
Yes SEFF is my target. I hope to by late feb to begin my flight testing. She may still be in primer in a few places, but at the pace I am going again all looks good. The only barrier may be money when I go to drop 3K in lipos. But that is a few months away.

Thanks
DAG
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:41 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhail tupulov View Post
Tony: I fly micros, parkflyers, hotliners, and Cessna's (not the toy plane versions) in that order. I hope this answers your question.

Mick (spelled "Mikhail")
What kind of cessna's.

I love 182, 206, and the 310. I have always wanted a over 200" piper cheyenne.

Rock ON!!!!

DAG
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:08 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,629 Posts
Dang Dag! You have an excellent attitude! Best o luck while we follow along from the sidelines

YIKES! $3k in lipos for one bird
That has to be some kinda record right there!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:52 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
The only barrier may be money when I go to drop 3K in lipos. But that is a few months away.
With the astounding degree of engineering in this thing, and combined with what can only be described as a phenomenal level of craftsmanship, you would think that there would be some manufacturer or vendor who would bend over backwards to be associated with the project in the form of sponsorship. Have you considered this possibility DAG? Of course I understand if it's not an option you are interested in pursuing as their are generally conditions which are attached. Just wondering if the idea had been tossed out there.
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:10 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Veich View Post
With the astounding degree of engineering in this thing, and combined with what can only be described as a phenomenal level of craftsmanship, you would think that there would be some manufacturer or vendor who would bend over backwards to be associated with the project in the form of sponsorship. Have you considered this possibility DAG? Of course I understand if it's not an option you are interested in pursuing as their are generally conditions which are attached. Just wondering if the idea had been tossed out there.
So far Castle, ThunderPower, Hacker, Tru-Turn, Dons RC, Glennis, Aircraft International, Airland Hobbies, Progressive RC and a few others I am missing have helped me huge with support and engineering assistance, and discounts for the amount of money I have spent. But even with the discounts I have about 3-5k left to put in this if I go the route of another radio. Everyone except radio manufactures have really reached out to support me and showed huge interest. And I am the type that won't take a hand out or ask for one.

I will get her done, no worries.....

DAG
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:21 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,629 Posts
You brought up the topic of radio selection; I am curious, what are you currently flying with?

In regards to ease of programming, no radio on the market has impressed me as much as the Futaba 18. Setting up large complex planes has been reduced to a fraction of the time I would have spent with other radios. Literally, I would spend no more than a few minutes to fully program a model in comparison to an hour or more. As far as value, I think it is tough to find more bang for your dollar than you will with the Spektrum 18... but I have lost faith in their fickle signal.
RCG Plus Member