HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2012, 08:25 PM
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
1,614 Posts
Looks like Emma's taking after her Dad.... big models. Is this just a display model or are you (that is, Emma) planning to get into N-class rocketry?
byrocat is offline Find More Posts by byrocat
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:53 PM
Joined Aug 2008
540 Posts
Dag,

You are not far off on the college thing. My daughter starts this August and it seems like last year she got into kindergarten! No matter what she is still my beautiful little girl. Enjoy this time with Emma I know you know from expirence with your son time seems to slip by really fast without us realizing it.

al
rossaer is offline Find More Posts by rossaer
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:35 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,773 Posts
Dag

If you fancy a little distraction from the '36, there is a big thread on an RC Sidewinder, (plus a few videos on Youtube, just search in there on RC Sidewinder), then I'm sure Emma would love her own RC Missile

The thread - Flying Sidewinder missile

Though I suppose you could always build her an F-84

eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jul 02, 2012, 05:03 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,528 Posts
Added to the list of kick-ass things Emma can tell her friends: "My dad built me a missile"
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jul 02, 2012, 07:52 PM
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
1,614 Posts
Have to congratulate DAG on having at least one kid who's aviation oriented. Of my 2 step-kids and 7 grand-kids, I've got one g-kid studying mechanical engineering and aiming at specializing in aviation (wanna be a test pilot but she doesn't want to go the military route at present.)

The fortunate part of this is that I'm not out of pocket, much (pots and pans so far....)

Any girl that wants a missle from her Dad in one extra-ordinary child.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 08:26 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by byrocat View Post
Have to congratulate DAG on having at least one kid who's aviation oriented. Of my 2 step-kids and 7 grand-kids, I've got one g-kid studying mechanical engineering and aiming at specializing in aviation (wanna be a test pilot but she doesn't want to go the military route at present.)

The fortunate part of this is that I'm not out of pocket, much (pots and pans so far....)

Any girl that wants a missle from her Dad in one extra-ordinary child.
I want a missile from my dad!!! But I'm a guy soooo....guess i'm normal
Though my dad did take a picture of me sitting on an AGM-65 on his jet when I was 3
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Jul 02, 2012, 08:28 PM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,719 Posts
How'ed this thread get to missiles anyway here's an R/C missile done by a flyin bud.It flys very nice,
20120615 0005 (0 min 45 sec)
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old Jul 02, 2012, 10:01 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Very cool stuff here all,

Well I got about 2 hours in tonight on the 36.

One of my big hurdles is how I will get my main gear retract system in and out of the nacelle for maintenance or repair. I now have all the ribs in place where I need them to start the sheeting (I hope) for the last time.

I will post a few pics in the morning as it has been one heck of a long day.....

And I love the RC missile.... That is sooooo kewl.

And I had to post this pic of my girl and her friend, They said they wanted me to make the rocket fly, I said I would have to aim my CRM114 anti-gravity machine at it, will I missed and hit them. they loved being weightless...

DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:08 AM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Nacelle #4 ribs and the start of finishing my nacelles and getting onto the systems.....

DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:21 AM
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
1,614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post

And I had to post this pic of my girl and her friend, They said they wanted me to make the rocket fly, I said I would have to aim my CRM114 anti-gravity machine at it, will I missed and hit them. they loved being weightless...

DAG
Sounds like you're the coolest Dad in the neighbourhood this summer, DAG! Thanks for the update, and have a great Fourth.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:18 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,773 Posts
If it's any help regarding access for removing the U/C, maintenance etc, I have found having a big removable section so much better than trying to work through a smaller, but scale one, such as a wheel well.

Designing in some sections where you can cut an area out is worth considering. Such as making a section complete with double framing that can be cut out easily later on, if the worst happens, that will also fit back in with little to show it was ever removed. Following original panel line markings is a handy one.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:05 PM
Joined Aug 2010
263 Posts
Quote:
Very cool stuff here all,

Well I got about 2 hours in tonight on the 36.

One of my big hurdles is how I will get my main gear retract system in and out of the nacelle for maintenance or repair. I now have all the ribs in place where I need them to start the sheeting (I hope) for the last time.

I will post a few pics in the morning as it has been one heck of a long day.....

DAG
Oh, about a half dozen Estes Size E motors and you can put that missile on the moon. Find a nice American Flag parachute for it and it will look really kewl on the 4th of July.
JohnSH is offline Find More Posts by JohnSH
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:44 PM
Mount Juliet, TN
Joined Feb 2008
453 Posts
Happy 4th! I think this is at least our 3rd 4th on this thread.
ska2000 is offline Find More Posts by ska2000
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:54 PM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
Dag, it always blows my mind when I look at the closeup views of things you do. The parts look so neat and finished and I know that you have not had parts laser cut or cnc-ed!
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:20 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Quote:

DAG
Awesome! Do you do high powered rocketry as well? If you don't itís another expensive but very fun hobby that offers a slew of different challenges from RC aircraft.
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob