HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 22, 2012, 08:51 AM
Registered User
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
I had the pleasure of meeting Damon last weekend and it was quite a treat for me. We chatted about RC, aviation and many other wide ranging topics of shared interest.

I had a ball and can only reinforce what others have said, which is that as well as being a very talented designer/builder, Damon is a modest, charming, positive, engaging, intelligent and generous gentleman.

The B36 in person is very impressive and seeing where it has been brought to life was a real treat. Hey, I even got to shake hands with some of the crew

Damon, thank you for sharing this marvelous journey with us on RCG and thank you especially for welcoming me and being so generous with your time. I am selfish when I say that I hope your travels one day bring you down to Melbourne so that I can in some small way return the favour.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2012, 10:09 PM
Registered User
South Carolina
Joined May 2003
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
A simpler solution is to use the kids' Wii...............??
I have a Wii, the only thing the Wii does better than Roku is play games, the Roku is much better for viewing video, photo etc content via many sources.

Don't have a PS3, if you have one great. But a PS3 costs much more than a Roku. As does the Wii, as does the Apple TV, as does a laptop, as does any BluRay player I've ever seen, and as does anything else I can think of that is capable of similar to what the Roku is capable of.
Dogsbd is offline Find More Posts by Dogsbd
Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 01:23 AM
I'd Rather Be Flying
RCBlackSheep's Avatar
Stockton CA
Joined Feb 2009
576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsbd View Post
I have a Wii, the only thing the Wii does better than Roku is play games, the Roku is much better for viewing video, photo etc content via many sources.

Don't have a PS3, if you have one great. But a PS3 costs much more than a Roku. As does the Wii, as does the Apple TV, as does a laptop, as does any BluRay player I've ever seen, and as does anything else I can think of that is capable of similar to what the Roku is capable of.
More and more electronics have the ablity to retrieve more and more media. The one that really gets me is the cell phone. Geez... I dont understand why some one would watch something on a 3" or 4" screen that was made for wide screen theater or TV. My phone can do all this neat stuff but then we find ourselves yelling during a call, "CAN YOU HEAR ME? ARE YOU STILL THERE?" dropped call again!!! lmao When the B-36 maiden flight gets posted, I'll be watching it on the big screen.
RCBlackSheep is offline Find More Posts by RCBlackSheep
Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 05:42 AM
It only takes one good idea
dag214's Avatar
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBlackSheep View Post
More and more electronics have the ablity to retrieve more and more media. The one that really gets me is the cell phone. Geez... I dont understand why some one would watch something on a 3" or 4" screen that was made for wide screen theater or TV. My phone can do all this neat stuff but then we find ourselves yelling during a call, "CAN YOU HEAR ME? ARE YOU STILL THERE?" dropped call again!!! lmao When the B-36 maiden flight gets posted, I'll be watching it on the big screen.
Unless you are a guy that works his guts out and spends 90,000 miles a year on a plane away from family making a living, and the only way he gets a chance to watch his box set of Fireball XL5, or much of anything is on his I-Pod touch.

DAG
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214
Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 06:35 AM
Registered User
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
Unless you are a guy that works his guts out and spends 90,000 miles a year on a plane away from family making a living, and the only way he gets a chance to watch his box set of Fireball XL5, or much of anything is on his I-Pod touch.

DAG
Sounds like you need an iPad, or other tablet...
desertstalker is offline Find More Posts by desertstalker
Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 06:37 AM
It only takes one good idea
dag214's Avatar
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
Sounds like you need an iPad, or other tablet...
My girl has the I-pad, just not in my budget at this time..........

DAG
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214
Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 06:41 AM
It only takes one good idea
dag214's Avatar
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
I had the pleasure of meeting Damon last weekend and it was quite a treat for me. We chatted about RC, aviation and many other wide ranging topics of shared interest.

I had a ball and can only reinforce what others have said, which is that as well as being a very talented designer/builder, Damon is a modest, charming, positive, engaging, intelligent and generous gentleman.

The B36 in person is very impressive and seeing where it has been brought to life was a real treat. Hey, I even got to shake hands with some of the crew

Damon, thank you for sharing this marvelous journey with us on RCG and thank you especially for welcoming me and being so generous with your time. I am selfish when I say that I hope your travels one day bring you down to Melbourne so that I can in some small way return the favour.
Was out of sight cool meeting you too..... And I love meeting other Brainiacs.....

And you are way to nice in all of those great things you said about me.... I am never a gentleman.

I do have a specifier that lives down under, it would be a great excuse for me to get down there.....

And next time you are here plan a extra 3 days as we can, go to the AMA, Wright Patt museum, and have a pool party by the BBQ.......

Glad you got home safely, and enjoyed the visit.

Cheers.....

Damon
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214
Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 02:53 AM
I'd Rather Be Flying
RCBlackSheep's Avatar
Stockton CA
Joined Feb 2009
576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
Unless you are a guy that works his guts out and spends 90,000 miles a year on a plane away from family making a living, and the only way he gets a chance to watch his box set of Fireball XL5, or much of anything is on his I-Pod touch.

DAG
Dont get me wrong by my comments about watching TV on your phone. I feel your pain buddy. I know your busy and I understand that other things come before spending more $$$ on more toys. Indeed, I too have something I need to pay for now that is much more important than that $20,000 jet I would rather be building right now. (I cant say what I have to spend the $$$ on but its really THAT important that I spend the $$$ on something else) Family comes first. I was referencing those folks that got caught up in the technology part of thier new phone but cant make a "phone call" with thier new $300 phone. I blame that on the makers of the phone cause they sell to it to people knowing that it may play a movie but it cant hold a connection to even complete a real phone call. Even worse, people get so ingrossed in the stuff they are watching or texting that they walk into a pole while walking down the street. There is even a video on the net of a gal that walked right into a fountain in a mall cause she was so into her texting. I really hope I can make it to see the maiden flight (or any flight) of your B-36 in person but its not looking like that kind of trip is going to be in my near future unless your planning to bring it to California. But I am looking forward to seeing it fly and I'll probably have to watch it on the toys I already have.

Keep on Rockin On Dag. You do what you gotta do and I will be patiently waiting for that first flight.
RCBlackSheep is offline Find More Posts by RCBlackSheep
Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 05:02 AM
It only takes one good idea
dag214's Avatar
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBlackSheep View Post
Dont get me wrong by my comments about watching TV on your phone. I feel your pain buddy. I know your busy and I understand that other things come before spending more $$$ on more toys. Indeed, I too have something I need to pay for now that is much more important than that $20,000 jet I would rather be building right now. (I cant say what I have to spend the $$$ on but its really THAT important that I spend the $$$ on something else) Family comes first. I was referencing those folks that got caught up in the technology part of thier new phone but cant make a "phone call" with thier new $300 phone. I blame that on the makers of the phone cause they sell to it to people knowing that it may play a movie but it cant hold a connection to even complete a real phone call. Even worse, people get so ingrossed in the stuff they are watching or texting that they walk into a pole while walking down the street. There is even a video on the net of a gal that walked right into a fountain in a mall cause she was so into her texting. I really hope I can make it to see the maiden flight (or any flight) of your B-36 in person but its not looking like that kind of trip is going to be in my near future unless your planning to bring it to California. But I am looking forward to seeing it fly and I'll probably have to watch it on the toys I already have.

Keep on Rockin On Dag. You do what you gotta do and I will be patiently waiting for that first flight.
All in good intentions I know
Rock ON!!!!!!
DAG.....
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 12:04 AM
What...me worry?
bluswede's Avatar
United States, WI, Edgar
Joined Sep 2002
790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbobed View Post
No good deed goes unpunished.
There Ya' go!...50 ways to skin a cat!
Tech can be a bit of a chore sometimes, but when things are rollin'...the internet can be a beautiful thing!
Regards,
Scott
bluswede is online now Find More Posts by bluswede
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 04:59 PM
Cowboy of the skys
warbird_cowboy's Avatar
United States, Mt, Whitefish
Joined Oct 2010
1,065 Posts
hey dag i have a don smith b36 from precision cut kits. any tips 852 pages is a lot to read and im doing it electric
warbird_cowboy is offline Find More Posts by warbird_cowboy
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 07:17 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Endlesslag's Avatar
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jan 2011
3,996 Posts
I met mac hodges today at my field, and saw the b-29. Pretty awesome plane I had a great time, and saw some pretty cool stuff. pics/video in a while.
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 11:12 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Endlesslag's Avatar
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jan 2011
3,996 Posts
Ok, heres some footage from today. Mostly the eurofighter, not a whole lot going on today.
Warbirds over fredericksburg on friday (5 min 3 sec)
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 08:51 PM
It only takes one good idea
dag214's Avatar
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird_cowboy View Post
hey dag i have a don smith b36 from precision cut kits. any tips 852 pages is a lot to read and im doing it electric
Well........

To be 110% honest, I am not a fan of Don Smith plans, I have built a few of his planes and while he is good at drawing up a complete set of plans, he does not seem to be a real good structural designer. In fact I have heard he has not built many of the plans he draws (this is hear say and I may be wrong). The B-29 plans he drew up had more structural problems than I can list, but look out for when you have a spar that is cut to allow main gear retraction. On the B-29 the plans showed you building a box structure around where the main gear would retract as the plan showed the main spar having been removed between 2 ribs in the nacelle. To make it strong and correct means having a ton of weight added where it was not needed if he would have just placed the spar like the full scale B-29. Also his designs as drawn are very tail heavy, and many that build from his kits take a bit of time to reselect what types woods they will really use.

Hope I am not bursting your bubble, but I know many that have built from his plans, they end up changing about 25% of the design, and then they end up with a great plane. One thing that is nice about his plans are the scale lines are nice and close.

On my design that hardest parts that I did test most of my ideas on where, main gear and nose gear, main spars and how they attach for transport, motors and their weight for what size scale prop they can turn, systems that moves the flaps, bomb bay systems, CG, CG, and CG....... The placement of the system on a plane that has all six of the prop motors behind the CG is the biggest task I have tried to manage...... ALSO the big ginormous tail hanging way back there of the CG.

If you are going 100% electric I would take 95% of the ply wood he may have in the drawing and replace with heavy balsa with a few strips of CF. The only place you really need ply or hardwood is the firewalls, gear mounts, and maybe wing attachment hard points........

Good luck

DAG
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214
Last edited by dag214; May 27, 2012 at 07:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012, 02:26 AM
Registered User
Big Nuts 181's Avatar
Joined Jul 2004
2,580 Posts
Very nice Dag did you ever get the B29 finished or loose heart with all the problems you mentioned?
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good B-36 site (drawing with cross sections, too!) Thomas B Scale Kit/Scratch Built 26 Oct 11, 2011 09:14 PM
Discussion B-36 B-52 kgmorris Scale Kit/Scratch Built 20 Jan 02, 2009 06:27 AM
b-36 dorysch1 Scale Kit/Scratch Built 32 Feb 01, 2004 08:33 PM
Questions about my wally B-36...I'm new to foam. Boba_Fett Foamies (Kits) 8 Jun 11, 2002 03:36 PM
B 36 Trobber Parkflyers 3 Dec 30, 2001 12:33 PM