SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 18, 2012, 08:14 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
Right now I work 95% for a company based in Rome, 50% I work for myself, and about 75% I contract for a few other companies. Wait, that's more than 100%

But..... I plan on selling off about 4K worth of stuff over the next 5 months to off-set my new radio gear.

Rock ON!!!!
DAG
Missed the radio switch what did you decide to go with?
Mike
mike2663 is online now Find More Posts by mike2663
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2012, 09:48 AM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Aug 2008
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Hey buddy,

First PM my a link for the E-scooter you guys had at SEFF

I am having my ideas run down many paths right now.

If the OB-wing has its own (2) RX's that will require 3 batteries. 2 batteries for the RX that runs the 2 flaps, 2 motors, and aileron. The other RX is for the jet and lights. If the battery were to fail on the #2 RX all I would lose is jet power and the lights, no big deal.

If I lay it out as my original design I would have connections for these systems:
Option #1
Motor #1 (ESC)
Motor #2 (ESC)
Flap #1
Flap #2
Aileron Servo#1
Aileron Servo #2
Jet ESC's
Lights.
That is 8 connection.

OR!!!!

Option #2
Place RX#1 for flight systems in OB wing
Place RX#2 for Jets and lights in OB wing
Place 3 flight pack batteries in OB wing
And may have CG issues....

OR!!!!!!

Option #3Which I am liking more and more as I look at it
I could put all the RX's in the wings and run 3 wires back to the 3 OB wing batteries in the nose and only have 3 connections and keep my CG safe.

Just a designing fool right now.

DAG!!
Hi DAG,

Let me ask you, what drives your lights (power and voltage) and what turns them on and off?
There may be an option #4 & #5

#4: Two outboard Receiver Packs for Primary Flight Systems 1 & 2.

#5: Two power wires for Primary Flight Systems 1 & 2.

As the auxiliary elements (JetPods and lights) will draw very little signal power you can reliably run them on the built in BEC of one of the ESC's that will power the EDF units and thus only use the Power batteries, no signal batteries required (I will try to put together a quick diagram and post it in a while but it means a completely standalone system).

Additionally, to help with CG issues, have you considered the following receiver packs for the outboard wings instead of the original ones you were going to use in the nose?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?&C=MCD&V=HCA

Or if you prefer to stick with your existing A123 manufacturer you can go down from the 4600mAh to the 2300mAh, again to save weight. Since you are driving smaller load now (less servos in the outboard wing) you may be able to get away with smaller packs and thus creating less of a CG issues. With some thorough testing you can determine your draw and then pick the corresponding size pack. On the 30% Camel we are driving 4 standard servos and two ultra high torque servos and we tested and found that we could get about 40 minutes out of a single 1100 LiFe pack (so we threw in two, of course) but you see that there is potentially some weight savings (and thus CG benefit) to be had.

- Birger
bdelapen is online now Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old May 18, 2012, 10:38 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,801 Posts
Quote:
Option #3Which I am liking more and more as I look at it
I could put all the RX's in the wings and run 3 wires back to the 3 OB wing batteries in the nose and only have 3 connections and keep my CG safe.

Just a designing fool right now.

DAG!!
My vote is for option #3. With the EDF's battery powering the #2 receiver; through a BEC (the ESC's or a seperate one wired in)
Then all that gets connected is the power wires for the #1 receiver.

What I like about doing it this way is All the on/off power switched are in the same location with your air servicing panel.
This way the power up before flight can be simplified. As the greater the complexity involved in field assembly the greater the chance for something to go wrong.
Keeping the pre-flight check short and simple will help.
All batteries are charged and ready to go.
Transmitter /s on
Receiver switches on.
Wiggle everything.(on the plane that is)
Connect all motor batteries.
Arm ESC's wiggle everything again.

Deep breath to get ready; and remember to breathe. As I can't imagine any flight being a non event.
Rick
RiBell is offline Find More Posts by RiBell
Old May 18, 2012, 03:23 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,618 Posts
Outboard Wings First Officer System Diagram

Hi DAG,

OK, it took me a while to get this put together but this is what I was referring to when I stated that your outboard wing panels can be completely self contained for all your first officer operations. Since a picture is worth a 1000 words here is the diagram. For now, since I only have a vague idea of how the nav lights are wired I have just put something in for reference. These can be controlled by the first officer using a receiver controlled switch, I have a vague recollection that you may already have something but here is an example just in case:

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/products/picoswitch

Also, as we do in our night planes you can tap your LED lights straight from a flight pack, if you use a balance tap connector you can get all kinds of voltage combos by taping into the correct wire (1S, 2S, 3S or 4S) whatever matches your LED's voltage requirements (I drew the diagram assuming 3S which is what we run in our night planes). In addition, if you need 5V for your LED's you can tap into the BEC of the second ESC.

For this setup simplicity is king, as few moving parts and components as possible and as few things to plug in as possible.

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bdelapen; May 18, 2012 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Small mistake in diagram, new diagram uploaded.
Old May 18, 2012, 03:52 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,618 Posts
Orbit Power Jack

Hi DAG,

One more note, I know that you posted about the Orbit Power Jack which allows your receiver pack current to go straight to the servos without having to pass through the power traces of the receivers. As we discussed, not only is there the 14CH version but there is also an 8CH version:

http://xtcm.evojets.de/product_info.php?products_id=2

Now, based on the number of servos you are driving through the receiver this may or may not be necessary; specially for the primary flight systems in the outboard wings; but it's good to know that it's out there in case you do want to use it.

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2012, 07:45 AM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Thanks Birger,

Great info, and great talking with you as always...........

I am now getting my head more around this.

Rock ON!

DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Old May 21, 2012, 07:53 AM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Well..... not much done this weekend.

Saturday I took the Emmaselle to a RC fly-in fund raiser so a small town that had their pool closed 3 years ago could re-open it. The club I belong to put it on from 11-3 on Saturday. Its a very small town, but got to shake the hand of the Mayor and Judge..... As hot as it is here the kids should love having their pool open again.

Sunday was family day and got to meet one of my RCG B36 followers from down under. What a great guy.......... Wish he lived here and was one of my neighbors..... He was here in the states for business and had some family here in Indy.........

I hope I can get back to my nacelle bottoms on #3 and #4 this week. But work is very crazy. But this weekend is a 3 day weekend.....

Thanks, DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Old May 21, 2012, 07:53 PM
South Carolina
Joined May 2003
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingconsulting View Post
Tried searching this thread but not sure you guys have seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmG5uTVvS2c

All about the B-36. 47 minutes.

Robert
A note about the numerous full length aviation related videos to be found on YouTube.

Are you tired of watching them on your computer monitor? Would you prefer to watch them on your TV while sitting on the couch relaxing drinking a cold beverage?

If so, I have found a solution. First you need a Roku box attached to your TV, you can get one for about $50. Then search the Roku channel store for the "Plex Channel" install that and follow the instructions. You will end up with the ability to save YouTube videos (as well as Vimeo and others around the net) to your Plex queue which you can then watch on your TV.

I've been doing this for several weeks now and rediscovering the wings programs on my 56" HDTV is just wonderful.
Dogsbd is offline Find More Posts by Dogsbd
Old May 22, 2012, 02:59 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsbd View Post
A note about the numerous full length aviation related videos to be found on YouTube......you need a Roku box attached to your TV, you can get one for about $50. Then search the Roku channel store for the "Plex Channel" install that and follow the instructions. You will end up with the ability to save YouTube videos (as well as Vimeo and others around the net) to your Plex queue which you can then watch on your TV. I've been doing this for several weeks now and rediscovering the wings programs on my 56" HDTV is just wonderful.
A simpler solution is to use the kids' Wii...............??
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old May 22, 2012, 03:05 AM
I'd Rather Be Flying
Stockton CA
Joined Feb 2009
609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel blink View Post
a simpler solution is to use the kids' wii...............??
ps3?
RCBlackSheep is offline Find More Posts by RCBlackSheep
Old May 22, 2012, 06:30 AM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,063 Posts
Or just hdmi from a laptop to the tv....
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old May 22, 2012, 07:24 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2,618 Posts
Or Apple TV or many of the new TV's or BluRay Disk players have software for that too.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 22, 2012, 07:46 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Jun 2006
1,086 Posts
or just the youtube app already on my samsung plasma.
umdpru is offline Find More Posts by umdpru
RCG Plus Member
Old May 22, 2012, 08:59 AM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Foxfire Village, NC
Joined Nov 2003
1,487 Posts
No good deed goes unpunished.
bigbobed is online now Find More Posts by bigbobed
Old May 22, 2012, 09:20 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbobed View Post
No good deed goes unpunished.
Or.... Maybe it's just lots of people being helpful and chiming in to provide additional options that you may be able to implement with your existing devices and without the need to purchase an additional one such as a Roku Box.

I tend to look for the good in people first

- Birger
RCG Plus Member