SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 05, 2012, 10:50 PM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,513 Posts
I once had a boat that had multiple batteries controlling different sections. 1 battery was for just the motor, 1 was for all essential boat electrinics, and 1 was for all non-essentials. The point being....dont buy a boat, its a friggin sink hole....lol
2 radios would really take a load off you. And how many of your followers would walk 10 miles barefoot through snow just to be your FO if only for 1 flight.
Cabledawg1 is offline Find More Posts by Cabledawg1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shipped Super Viper today
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2012, 11:15 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
I have no experience with flying such complex models and while the challenge of programming a single Tx to support all the required modes sounds like fun, it does seem having a Flight Engineer makes a great deal of sense. Sure, it will mean some display flights might not drop the bombs dead on target, but I suspect it will also mean the pilot workload will remain manageable, most especially during the most critical moments during those low fly-bys when full attention to critical flight controls is essential.

It also appears to me that all the systems on Tx2 are non-essential. Whether they work or not will neither cause a crash nor prevent a safe landing. If that is so, you can save money and weight by using basic Rx with single supplies rather than sophisticated redundant setups for Rx #5, 6 and 7.
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old May 05, 2012, 11:16 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,463 Posts
Definition of a boat...model or full size...."A hole in the water you pour money into"

Or in the case of this B-36...an eventual hole in the sky....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old May 05, 2012, 11:36 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jan 2011
4,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Definition of a boat...model or full size...."A hole in the water you pour money into"

Or in the case of this B-36...an eventual hole in the sky....

SteveT
The good news...if you try to pour money into a hole in the sky, it always comes down
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old May 05, 2012, 11:37 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
The good news...if you try to pour money into a hole in the sky, it always comes down
True...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old May 05, 2012, 11:39 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jan 2011
4,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
True...

SteveT
But for the same reason there are more airplanes in the ocean than there are submarines in the sky...
Old May 06, 2012, 01:11 AM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
What tasks does the F/O have when dag does inverted low passes, tail slides, hovering, & outside loops alla that infamous B29?
BrentP is offline Find More Posts by BrentP
Old May 06, 2012, 05:32 AM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
I really don't think Dag will be flying like Mac Hodges.
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
Old May 06, 2012, 07:14 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,441 Posts
Dag has continually said that he dislikes aircraft that do not fly scale (too much power/speed). He has designed the 36 to fly like what it was, a big slightly slow bomber. While he will have enough power available to do what he wants it to do (fly) he is NOT going to be 1g zoom climbs off the deck!
Fii
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old May 06, 2012, 07:36 AM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman2008 View Post
Dag has continually said that he dislikes aircraft that do not fly scale (too much power/speed). He has designed the 36 to fly like what it was, a big slightly slow bomber. While he will have enough power available to do what he wants it to do (fly) he is NOT going to be 1g zoom climbs off the deck!
Fii
Well lets define how I really feel

Mac's plane was purposed built, it was built as a airshow plane, and to date is the most exciting thing at any RC airshow he flies it at. Mac's b-29 and X1 where built to perform at airshows and to me is top notch. What I hate is (scale) warbirds that are so over powered they look stupid. Mac's plane does not even come close to falling into that as it does just what it was designed for. Mac is one of my all time RC hero's, his ability to fly that plane the way he does, and do it so safely makes him one of the top RC guys to me.

NOW....., would I fly my B-36 like Mac's B-29..... not likely as the wings, tail and fuse would go boom from the stress.

I have guys poke fun all the time about me flying my B-36 like Mac's B-29, but I am sure most know that my B-36 was not designed for that.

Mac's B-29 and X-1 should be in some museum one day for all the people those 2 planes made smile.

Rock ON!!!!!!!

DAG
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214
Old May 06, 2012, 10:07 AM
Fly it like you STOL it!
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jan 2011
4,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
Well lets define how I really feel

Mac's plane was purposed built, it was built as a airshow plane, and to date is the most exciting thing at any RC airshow he flies it at. Mac's b-29 and X1 where built to perform at airshows and to me is top notch. What I hate is (scale) warbirds that are so over powered they look stupid. Mac's plane does not even come close to falling into that as it does just what it was designed for. Mac is one of my all time RC hero's, his ability to fly that plane the way he does, and do it so safely makes him one of the top RC guys to me.

NOW....., would I fly my B-36 like Mac's B-29..... not likely as the wings, tail and fuse would go boom from the stress.

I have guys poke fun all the time about me flying my B-36 like Mac's B-29, but I am sure most know that my B-36 was not designed for that.

Mac's B-29 and X-1 should be in some museum one day for all the people those 2 planes made smile.

Rock ON!!!!!!!

DAG
I can't wait, he's coming up to my field in about 20 days...I'm sure I'll have a HUGE grin on my face
Old May 06, 2012, 05:38 PM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,315 Posts
The only thing scale about the B29 was the crash after the wing came apart in a spin. Scale models should fly like the real one.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old May 06, 2012, 05:49 PM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckA View Post
The only thing scale about the B29 was the crash after the wing came apart in a spin. Scale models should fly like the real one.
When did this happen?
payne9999 is online now Find More Posts by payne9999
Old May 06, 2012, 05:52 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,037 Posts
A year or two ago. It was rebuilt in about 10 days and Mac flew it in another show.

He puts on a show, which is what his B-29 was built for. All the videos I have seen of it, Mac does a great show.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is online now Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old May 06, 2012, 05:52 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jan 2011
4,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckA View Post
Haha, true that. I believe he fixed it though, last I heard it was flying again.