HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2012, 10:45 AM
Joined May 2004
1,484 Posts
So as to not hijack Dag's thread, anyone having Ercoupe questions, PM me.
I'll answer on a time avaialable basis.
ErcoupeEd is offline Find More Posts by ErcoupeEd
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2012, 11:08 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Jun 2006
1,057 Posts
Quote:
Wow, she just keeps getting more expensive????????
LMAO!!

That's what Lockheed Martin management says everytime they design a fighter!
umdpru is online now Find More Posts by umdpru
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 11:43 AM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2012
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
The plane is a bit over powered, I doubt I really ever use 100% power. I also want to do scale take off's. Line up, props to about 50%, jets up to full, release the brakes, then add a bit more prop power as needed, then take off, once gear is up jets back to idle, then props back to cruise.... That's why I want a second person on the jets.

DAG
OK here is a solution, maybe not the best and it is complex too:
Use a regular Tx
Use this for throttle:
http://digitaledgepc.com/throttlequadrant.aspx
Mount the whole thing on some kind of platfom
Interface the throttle box with the Tx using this:
http://www.flytron.com/56-compufly-u...converter.html

It may not be that straightforward, you may need some tweaking, and maybe some controller in between (arduino or other) but it may be a solution to think about.

You may have to connect the throttle box to a second Tx which then becomes a slave (not active) that you could mount underneath the platform or something. But you still maintain full control as one pilot (not less busy though )

You could also imagine that you maintain full throttle control on one stick, and the throttle box just gives you balancing function of the total power, but that probably requires fancy programming.
Michael V is offline Find More Posts by Michael V
Last edited by Michael V; May 04, 2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old May 04, 2012, 02:27 PM
United States, KS, Rose Hill
Joined Sep 2007
752 Posts
Look at a DX-18, it has a built in PLC for doing different functions.

L.
Cherokee Flyer is online now Find More Posts by Cherokee Flyer
Old May 04, 2012, 02:40 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,049 Posts
Quote:
The plane is a bit over powered, I doubt I really ever use 100% power. I also want to do scale take off's. Line up, props to about 50%, jets up to full, release the brakes, then add a bit more prop power as needed, then take off, once gear is up jets back to idle, then props back to cruise.... That's why I want a second person on the jets.
Me! Me! I'll do it! Seriously, however you do this, I hope to be there and witness some flights of this incredible plane.
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
Old May 04, 2012, 06:44 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,698 Posts
Quote:
My Next Challenge!!!

1 radio or 2?

I am at the point where I have to decided on this............

I know I will be taking the B-36 out and flying a lot, if I have 2 radio's thats means always briefing someone as FO (first officer/co pilot). I wonder how much stress it will put on me ~
~~There is a part of me that wants to use only 1 radio as it will save on an entire set of TX#2 RX's and batteries.

DAG
I would think that the stress of someone else operating the 2nd radio would always be there and as a result affect your ultimate concentration while flying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdelapen View Post
For what it's worth:

I'm sure that we can come up with some very fancy programming that will give you the ability to have some interesting mixed throttle profiles between props and jets based on a condition switch and a throttle position.
- Birger
I agree with Birger here that through the use of conditions within your radio the jet engine function could be set up that to do what it is that you want to happen. The conditions can be set to change with landing gear and or flap position switches.
Radio programing should be able to turn it into a basic 6 to 8 channel airplane.
After all The basic flying of ailerons elevator rudder and throttle is the basic four.
All you are really adding is flaps and landing gear in order to fly the airplane.

My vote is to try to get as much as possible from one Tx to keep the flying simpler. Many of the switches in the cockpit of an aircraft do a lot more than what it says the switch is for. The designers have written logic equations that when the pilot turns a system on or off there are a lot of other things that occur after all we donít need to sound the alarm that a hyd pump isnít making pressure if itís turned off. But we do want to sound the alarm that itís not working when the airplane is in a phase of flight when it should be switched on. Tackle the programing with logic equations in mind I think you might be able to get it all happening from on Tx.
Rick
RiBell is offline Find More Posts by RiBell
Old May 04, 2012, 08:04 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,869 Posts
Here is some more thoughts of why I want a #2 TX.

I have flown many bombers, B-24's, B-29's, C-130's, and a B-25. Anytime you have bomb bay doors and bomb release you add at least 200% to your work load.

Those at SEFF may remember seeing my Emmaselle come out of a turn and start to enter a spin, then fly out and go about it business. The fact is, I almost crashed her. What happened was there was other planes making enough noise I could not hear my motor. I always take off and throttle back about 4-5 clicks and that is my cruise power. As soon as I was in the down wind I remembered I had not started my timer on my radio (6 minutes) and my brain was just throttling back. Somehow while getting distracted with my timer, and the noise of the planes I had throttled back way more than 4-5 clicks, more like halfway. As I was starting to turn to upwind I could tell I was heavy on my controls which even added more to my workload (very windy too). Then as I fed in more rudder she started to stall and I knew I had to get her wings level and add power. When I did add power I realized I had pull way to much power back. The Emmaselle already is draggy and kind of sloppy in the air, but all those things added up in about 12 seconds.

Now back to bombers, it is hard to get a big plane lined up and then open the door, and then drop the bombs and keep your eyes on the plane, once those bombs drop your brain just for a few seconds wants to see the bombs drop. On the B-36 this could be a huge problem.

The type of flight routine I want to fly will include flybys with the front bomb bay open, the back bomb bay open, both bomb bays open, flybys with jets at 50% just for the noise. Not sure how good some of you are, and I am sure some of you are much better pilots than me, but most plane with this many systems have always had 2 TX's.

Just my thoughts, and all IMHO.........

DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Old May 04, 2012, 08:12 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
808 Posts
I'm no expert or even close. I would just think that trying to do all those things is too much. You know your capabilities better than anybody here but that is taking multitasking to the extreme IMHO. You want to enjoy it too I would imagine?

All this extra programming everybody is talking about sounds easy enough but it will make it too complex. That leads to many points of failure. Not bagging on anybody just my thoughts.

Robert
kingconsulting is online now Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old May 04, 2012, 08:29 PM
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Feb 2006
36 Posts
Futaba Vs JR

Dag- Do yourself a huge favor and go to Futaba. I was a die hard JR person for years even through many model losses that ended up in the radio land of issues. I knew when my 11x would al the sudden not operate a plane that I just fly 20 minutes earlier that it was time to hang it up. You also need to know the binding or should we say re-binding time can be so long that your plane will be in the dirt before it completes it conection again. DSMX is only a patch to a real problem. I still have a dx7 and that was probably the last solid radion that Spektrum / JR made and I have owned almost every model since the dx6 originally came out.

I now bow to the Futaba Gods and have not had a single radio issue. Yes thank you Futaba!
hidenq is offline Find More Posts by hidenq
Old May 04, 2012, 08:31 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,939 Posts
Check out this transmitter. I'm using 2 Nano((each wing) and one 8 channel(fuselage) in my 82" KMP Tigercat. The Nano are $29.00 each and have 5 mile range. You can use as many as you need together. Plus you can reverse servo direction and adjust throws at the receiver level.
Bob
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old May 04, 2012, 08:47 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingconsulting View Post
I'm no expert or even close. I would just think that trying to do all those things is too much. You know your capabilities better than anybody here but that is taking multitasking to the extreme IMHO. You want to enjoy it too I would imagine?

All this extra programming everybody is talking about sounds easy enough but it will make it too complex. That leads to many points of failure. Not bagging on anybody just my thoughts.

Robert
Agree 100%. Sounds easy but it really isnt. concentrate on the flying. Jim
Jimbo45cn is offline Find More Posts by Jimbo45cn
Old May 05, 2012, 02:06 AM
Scratch Builder
Braunschweig, Germany
Joined Sep 2006
1,321 Posts
Quote:
Here is some more thoughts of why I want a #2 TX.

I have flown many bombers, B-24's, B-29's, C-130's, and a B-25. Anytime you have bomb bay doors and bomb release you add at least 200% to your work load.

Those at SEFF may remember seeing my Emmaselle come out of a turn and start to enter a spin, then fly out and go about it business. The fact is, I almost crashed her. What happened was there was other planes making enough noise I could not hear my motor. I always take off and throttle back about 4-5 clicks and that is my cruise power. As soon as I was in the down wind I remembered I had not started my timer on my radio (6 minutes) and my brain was just throttling back. Somehow while getting distracted with my timer, and the noise of the planes I had throttled back way more than 4-5 clicks, more like halfway. As I was starting to turn to upwind I could tell I was heavy on my controls which even added more to my workload (very windy too). Then as I fed in more rudder she started to stall and I knew I had to get her wings level and add power. When I did add power I realized I had pull way to much power back. The Emmaselle already is draggy and kind of sloppy in the air, but all those things added up in about 12 seconds.

Now back to bombers, it is hard to get a big plane lined up and then open the door, and then drop the bombs and keep your eyes on the plane, once those bombs drop your brain just for a few seconds wants to see the bombs drop. On the B-36 this could be a huge problem.

The type of flight routine I want to fly will include flybys with the front bomb bay open, the back bomb bay open, both bomb bays open, flybys with jets at 50% just for the noise. Not sure how good some of you are, and I am sure some of you are much better pilots than me, but most plane with this many systems have always had 2 TX's.

Just my thoughts, and all IMHO.........

DAG
Damon

I even thought about two Tx on my DC-6! For your plane I'd go for it! Everyone would be proud to be a responsible FO. Your workload can easily grow over the edge.

My 2ct

Rock On!

Cheers Alexander
AlexanderB is offline Find More Posts by AlexanderB
Old May 05, 2012, 06:26 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,869 Posts
Hey all,

Been a very hard week with work. Been trying to answer all comments. But crazy me bench flying my plane last night at midnight remembered that some one from Indy was wanting to know where I fly. Or it was on another thread......

I fly with the Madison County Flyers About 45 minutes from home, and one of the best fields around, and at the AMA headquarters. I fly my PZ stuff in the street or at a park near by.

Thanks, DAG
Old May 05, 2012, 06:28 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderB View Post
Damon

I even thought about two Tx on my DC-6! For your plane I'd go for it! Everyone would be proud to be a responsible FO. Your workload can easily grow over the edge.

My 2ct

Rock On!

Cheers Alexander
Thanks!!!!!! Your plane is also a system hog, but what a cool plane it will be when finished.

I hope that today I can get my fuse flipped back over and get my nacelles finished, then I can start getting the radio stuff worked out.

Thanks, Damon
Old May 05, 2012, 04:11 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
That was me! Thanks for answering! I would be honored to see you fly this great beast some day!

Not a member of a club currently as I have been flying smaller electric stuff, that hopefully will be fixed shortly after checking out a few clubs.

Quote:
Hey all,

Been a very hard week with work. Been trying to answer all comments. But crazy me bench flying my plane last night at midnight remembered that some one from Indy was wanting to know where I fly. Or it was on another thread......

I fly with the Madison County Flyers About 45 minutes from home, and one of the best fields around, and at the AMA headquarters. I fly my PZ stuff in the street or at a park near by.

Thanks, DAG
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt