2,923 Posts
do it.
sneasle is offline Find More Posts by sneasle
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2009, 09:03 PM
United States, AZ, Quartzsite
Joined Mar 2002
1,630 Posts
LOL. this just gets better. An actual aluminum skin. Get your polishing rags out
Carl Petersen is offline Find More Posts by Carl Petersen
Old Jan 29, 2009, 09:38 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214
Hey all,
Anybody ever hear that you can only run 2 ESC of a single RX???? In the end not a show stopper if true as I have 3RX that I could bind to the main TX.

Thanks, DAG
I've never heard that before, what is the source?

Jack
jfetter is online now Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Jan 29, 2009, 09:40 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,522 Posts
Quote:
Thanks everyone for your input. What was told to me is that someone from another ESC manufacturer said that things might get weird when running more that 2 ESC of a single RX, this make zero since to me as it is all digital. Just wanted to know if anyone had heard of any problems. I know over in the UK there is many 4 motors planes running with 4 ESC of a single RX.

Thanks all,

DAG
Not only is it digital but it's optically isolated from the power side, I don't see how a modern ESC is any different to the RX than a servo...

Jack
Old Jan 29, 2009, 09:40 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter
I've never heard that before, what is the source?

Jack
Just another great flier that heard it from another source.

DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Old Jan 29, 2009, 09:41 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter
Not only is it digital but it's optically isolated from the power side, I don't see how a modern ESC is any different to the RX than a servo...

Jack
Agreed, but I will find out soon .
DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Old Jan 29, 2009, 09:43 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,522 Posts
Quote:
Agreed, but I will find out soon .
DAG
Well, you're going to have 3 on L RX and 3 on R RX anyway, so if the guy using 4 via y-cables regularly is correct, should be a non-event...

Jack
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:35 PM
Mount Juliet, TN
Joined Feb 2008
453 Posts
oh no! You can't share your source for the aluminum skin? Does it already have adhesive backing? If not, how are you laying it down? I've read a lot about applying flite metal as that's what I want to use on my next project. Most still glass beneath the aluminum since the glass allows you to burnish the aluminum down without damaging the wood underneath. The Al is mostly burnished with your finger, but complex curves often require using tools. You can actually stretch the material quite a bit through burnishing; and even small wrinkles and other imperfections can be burnished until completely smooooth. There are other techniques to get the but joints perfect as well. If wanted, you can burnish a joint until it's invisible. At .004, it's really not heavier than heat shrink coating is it? Further, many many planes have Al coating and it doesn't seem to interfere with radio reception.

Oh! And have you heard of the guy electroplating models? It's not cheap, but man is the end result sweet! I would like to have that done to the Ziroli D-18 I'm building next!

Tom
ska2000 is offline Find More Posts by ska2000
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:52 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,344 Posts
Al skin - Some high perf free flights use it for strength bonded to balsa sheet. You could bond first then sheet as one. My dad built an AL skinned FF and the wings were both incredibly thin and stiff. BUTwhat about necessary RF getting thru to receivers. It would be a shae if you could not pass a range check. This could be a bad idea. 2.4GHz iz more senstitve tometallic objects due to shorter wavelength. Build a box and reange check it.

I have run 2 esc with BEC off one Rx. Three sould be no prob. You probably won't have BEC's anyway. It would be really easy to test later.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:54 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Aug 2002
1,232 Posts
In answer to your question to more than one esc on a single radio channel --- These are all just "Y'd" together. No problem
The receiver is a JR 2.4

What I might suggest though is that you find one of those "Amplified" "Y" connectors and then run one output to the left wing and the other output to the right wing.
Wade Joos is online now Find More Posts by Wade Joos
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:59 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,344 Posts
Beautiful plane.
I think he will have separate receivers in the wings. No need to interconnect anything. Spektrum recommends against any amplified extensions in their instructions.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:12 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,058 Posts
Hi Guys...

In answer to The question of where did the info on not running too many ESCs off of one RX come from, that came from me. I asked the Dag the question, because I was told not to do it by one of the folks at Castle Creations, in response to a question about it that I asked while researching the possible build of a large EDF B-52. I was told that the RX must see a certain load, and that too many ESCs on one RX would cause a problem.

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Jan 30, 2009 at 12:10 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:53 PM
Average Joe 2 Semi-Pro n Back!
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Feb 2004
1,148 Posts
Well, it won't be an issue with our ESC's for sure! Our C50 Quad system uses four individual C50 Competition Motors each with their own ESC - and we've not had any issues with these at all! A variety of different radio brands and models have been used.

Mike
PS - Damon - your remaining ESC's went out today via UPS 2nd day air
FL62 is online now Find More Posts by FL62
Old Jan 30, 2009, 12:09 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,058 Posts
Quote:
Well, it won't be an issue with our ESC's for sure! Our C50 Quad system uses four individual C50 Competition Motors each with their own ESC - and we've not had any issues with these at all! A variety of different radio brands and models have been used.
Hi Mike...

That is good to hear... I guess I talked to the wrong company when I asked that question....

And....what the heck are you powering with that Quad 50 setup? A fullsize plane????

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 30, 2009, 12:59 AM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas
Joined Apr 2006
1,589 Posts
Quote:
This is really cool.
This is off a 3"X60 yards roll of real aluminum. It comes with red writing on it, but comes of with one pass of finger nail polish remover.

It is is .004" thick, what do you think of this????

DAG
I think it looks great Dag !!

But you are poking the holes right ?
When you go to do that it might be great to use one of those Monokote Woodpeckers.
Maybe you could take it apart and only use one wheel.

Are you sure it is only 3" wide ?
It sure looks wider !!

Seeya, Tim
Tim Farrar is offline Find More Posts by Tim Farrar