HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:51 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,028 Posts
Dag,
Looks really great, jet pod on.

No need to send a pm, I just thought you would like the photos, story. God we had some great people working in WWII and the planes we built, designed are still classic.

This is more than cool,

Have a great time at SEFF, Hope Emma gets to go too.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:54 PM
If it flies, I crash it!
USA, NH, Londonderry
Joined Nov 2006
899 Posts
Gonna carve a bust of Jimmy Stewart for the pilot?
dlazarus6660 is offline Find More Posts by dlazarus6660
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:00 PM
Joined Oct 2008
35 Posts
> I spent 2 years getting all the data I could, the drawings I did 100% from all that data.
> The design while being 100% my own did draw from many aspects of the full scale B-36.
> Took about 8 years to get 90% of the design done.

Wow, that's truly as "from scratch" as it gets! Jaw-dropping.

Kudos, and I can't wait to see it airborne.

Rick
Mr. Rick is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Rick
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:01 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,873 Posts
Dang... that's gonna make one spectacular balsa debris field.
Bare is online now Find More Posts by Bare
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:04 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Shhhhhhh...we don't say things like that.....or.... "I'm going to make one last flight"!!

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:09 PM
Crash and crash!
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Oct 2010
677 Posts
Quote:
NO no no.... Don't say that. Dag is very precocious, don't worry, no debris!
realbob is offline Find More Posts by realbob
Last edited by realbob; Apr 19, 2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:11 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jan 2011
3,995 Posts
Quote:
We don't say the "c"(r..a..s..h..)' word around here, nor anything close to it, like that.
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:49 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,787 Posts
Wow, best updates in a long time!
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:07 PM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,431 Posts
Old Seattle joke; why do Boeing aircraft never crash? They are made of rubber and go boing boing Boeing! of course!
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:13 PM
c/f
Joined Jan 2004
3,312 Posts
Dag,

I have been a modeler since 74' and an Automation Eng since 79' and live in IN as well. Read my blog for many tidbits on the 2.4G. if you really want to bone up most of my blogs have 4000+ veiws concerning the 2.4g info I have amassed. The guy from XPS is a real piece of work from the beginning

I am anal about my stuff and dont like surprises, I attend many large venues and have won many best of show as well. I feel your pain with 10 years work. Here is my opinion on Spektrum having read extensive threads on the subject since its first posts to RCG. .

Spektrum 2.4 was a $12 toy bread board commercially available with all board level components well documented her on RCG. Spektrum as a company basically married two together and created a "so called way to use the stronger of the two" chip. Thus a child was born.

Then Horizon decided to license Spektrum newly created technology exclusive worldwide for 5-6 years and promptly went to work on Japan Remote or JR PROPO the makers of the fine radios we enjoy in to providing it to their exclusive USA marketing arrangement.. The original DSM6 TX board was a direct drop in to the JR7202 TX as was a popular do it yourselfer RCG thread that even the AMA approved of.

All the while Japan Remote Propo kept their line of radios to a module based system for the world market as to keep the options open something we've now lost in the USA market .

NOW FINALLY Japan Remote "JRPROPO" have created their own 2.4g baby.

http://www.macgregor.co.uk/support/dmss-faq.htm

I see this as the best news for JR radios and am happy Horizon will bring it stateside and we are now free from the Spektrum lablel brand once and for all as I myself have had to fly a ROBBE FASST module for the last 6 years in my module based JR TX for peace of mind as I quickly knew first hand account Spektrum had issues that could be replicated.

Spektrum is now free to sell on the world scene their own line of products and as such by ordering products abroad can save one substantial amount of money. Also they are responsible for their now "low end budget minded TX" IMHO, of which Horizon sells them along side the long standing Japan Remote JRPROPO.

Now a second subject, and NEW for SEFF 2012, " A 2.5 acre lake" water and carbon fuse sailplanes have been the hardest nut to crack for 2.4G and Spektrum is on the low end of the stick. If you have a RC boating club dont take my word for it just go and have a look around and ask questions.

c/f is offline Find More Posts by c/f
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:15 PM
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,631 Posts
If I had a plane that big I sure wouldnt use JR or Spektrum, Go with Airtronics or Futaba
Mikemynameis is online now Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:56 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,440 Posts
Dag after staring at your God-like B-36 for the last hour I noticed my pants had become soaking wet. . . . . . . . because I salivated all over them while fantasizing what the maiden will look like! LMAO!!
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Introducing The "Demon-Claw"...
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:56 AM
Love my Raven's!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondriver View Post
Dag after staring at your God-like B-36 for the last hour I noticed my pants had become soaking wet. . . . . . . . because I salivated all over them while fantasizing what the maiden will look like! LMAO!!
I can't wait to HEAR what it sounds like..with all those motors lit up!

Oh and because the topic is current....Go Fasst and never look back
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:48 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2009
745 Posts
Hello dag214,

This morning during our coffeebreak the discussion centered on hobbies, and I was asked about mine (RC aircraft). Interest was high as this is a bunch of technicians and engineers here who have a natural interest in things technical. I then opened this thread and showed them to what level this can go ... and I qoute,

" ... is that a TWO car garage ?? I know the Americans have big houses but is that airplane really THAT big??!
" ... my God it should be in a musuem for technical wonders"
" ... that is no longer a hobby, that is a work of art!"
" ... I can buy a car for the price of the materials alone"
" ... how many engines did you say???"
" ... is he going to fly over the bloody Atlantic with that??"
" ... respect"

The comments were far more than what is listed above dag214, but all of us here in Dresden wish you a successful first flight when the time comes!!

Jens
kleinaberfein is offline Find More Posts by kleinaberfein
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:21 AM
What...me worry?
United States, WI, Edgar
Joined Sep 2002
790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
Please read this.
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/dsm2flaw.shtml

This is why they went to DSMX

DAG
Ha!...THAT guy!...I first ran across him, maybe ten years ago, when he was playing with pulsejet engines on go-karts. (he can scamper away from a burning kart and the tree it lit on fire pretty quickly!!) He's also the guy that his government shut down when he got into RC-based cruise missiles.
I just ran across him again while researching FPV systems built "on the cheap". He's wicked smart and very good at making stuff out of bits of scrap found lying about. Good to see he survived his brush with the government...and that he's still got a "voice".
He's one of the few folks that really seems to "get it"...enjoying life and helping others. Reminds me of another guy that attacks projects others shy away from, while sharing what he's learned along the way.
The B-36 is looking so good, DAG! I wish only the best for you as she nears maiden!
Regards,
Scott
bluswede is offline Find More Posts by bluswede