Old Mar 24, 2012, 05:12 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiBell View Post
Thought there were six inlets
No.... I redid the 4 you see 3 times. The 2 on the fuse has not been started yet.....

Thanks, Dag
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2012, 05:21 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
No.... I redid the 4 you see 3 times. The 2 on the fuse has not been started yet.....

Thanks, Dag
Does that mean that ther are six more to go a total of 18 intakes
Sorry just had too.
They're looking good.
Any reason that you didn't carve the intake lip from foam?
RiBell is online now Find More Posts by RiBell
Old Mar 24, 2012, 08:03 PM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,380 Posts
Couldn't you just CNC the intakes out of foam and glass them (or wood)? You seem to have an abundance of views and plans for the 36 to be able to 3-D it.
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Mar 25, 2012, 03:53 AM
Scratch Builder
Braunschweig, Germany
Joined Sep 2006
1,294 Posts
Hey Dag,

110% excellent work!

I redid the flaps on my DC-6 three times!

Cheers Alexander
AlexanderB is offline Find More Posts by AlexanderB
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:08 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman2008 View Post
Dag if you want some pics of a pits, the place where they build them is withing 100 miles of me (a hop skip and a jump in rural Idaho/Wyoming), and I can get some next time we go that way.
Foo
Thanks!!

I have a full set of plans from the 80's. And thousands of photos from Oshkosh.

DAG
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:10 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman2008 View Post
Couldn't you just CNC the intakes out of foam and glass them (or wood)? You seem to have an abundance of views and plans for the 36 to be able to 3-D it.
Foo
Guess I could have, but I would need access to CNC, and if it didn't fit just right, I would have to tweak the 3D, then do it again. Keep in mind all three are different as the wing gets thinner, and then they are reversed.

DAG
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:11 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTtoooo View Post
Looking good Dag.... I know you were a bit frustrated with the inlets, so, good to see some progress...

SteveT
Thanks!!!!!!!
Dag
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:13 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiBell View Post
Does that mean that ther are six more to go a total of 18 intakes
Sorry just had too.
They're looking good.
Any reason that you didn't carve the intake lip from foam?
I thought about foam, but the edges would have been very fragile as it tapered I just didn't know if it would work. The biggest problem is the leading edge and the intake all has to line up, mine are still not scale, but I feel close enough.

Dag
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:17 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderB View Post
Hey Dag,

110% excellent work!

I redid the flaps on my DC-6 three times!

Cheers Alexander
Thanks!!!!!!!!!
These intakes are my last big hurdle, everything else is design or prototyped. I have some big decisions to make that might back me into a corner a bit. Like at what stage to start glassing the nacelles and getting my systems wire into my wings. I believe I am going to go into finishing nacelles 3 & 4 next and their intakes, and work on my wing attachment mechanism.

Rock ON!!! DAG
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:20 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigiron View Post
On a model where there no concern of getting ?Electric power and hydraulic pressure up, It should make little difference in which order one starts the engines(motors). On the real thing the sequence was 4,3,2,5,6,1. Then taxi out and at runup pad at the runway end , start jets 1,2,3,4.
Engines 3 & 4 had hydraulic and electric pressure and electric generators (altornators actually) engines 2 & 5 Had Electric and hydraulic while 1 and 6 only had Altornators--- no hydraulic pumps.
That is the sequence I remember on the "D" models.

Bigiron
Very cool..... Last night I looked in my B36 flight manual and it covers everything you state here. It appears the plane had a AC system, and a DC system of powering things.

Thanks!!! DAG
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:38 AM
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Jan 2012
1,487 Posts
oldbilgewater is offline Find More Posts by oldbilgewater
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:37 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
4,982 Posts
The new inlets look so, I mean way much better than the earlier versions. Now and then a bit of time off lets you re-think the look you are going for and allows you to be better by a whole bunch more.
You did great Dag, now for some milk duds and a couple glasses of Mountain Dew, you will be good to go.

Simpley amazing Dag, you are amazing.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Conehead; Mar 25, 2012 at 09:37 AM. Reason: can't type or think now and then, drats.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:28 AM
Bigiron
Wichita KS
Joined Oct 2010
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
Very cool..... Last night I looked in my B36 flight manual and it covers everything you state here. It appears the plane had a AC system, and a DC system of powering things.

Thanks!!! DAG
True. The main electric systems were 208V 400cps AC systems. There were two small 24V batteries for emergency systems and "Emergency starting" HA-- THAT'S A LAUGH!! The main reason for the AC system was WEIGHT.
The alternators were mounted at the forward (accessory) end of the engine, inside the cooling air tunnels. and the Constant Drive Unit (To maintain a constant 400cps) between the engine and alternator. To adjust the Constant speed drive unit, the proper way, they ran up the engine, checked the CPS, shut the engine down, then crawled into the inlet tunnel and adjusted the drive unit (each "click" on the adjustment knob was 10cps if I remember correctly. The way it was usually done in the field was to 1. Remove the alternator/ drive shrouding. 2. Climb into the tunnel with a rope and harness around your waist. To avoid being sucked on into the cooling fan, and as a means of communication. 3. start and run up the engine to 2400RPM. 4. reach around the alrernator and adjust the drive click by click until you felt the outside personell give three quick jerks on the rope. 5. Shut the engine down and then replace the shrouding. 6. crawl out.
That was the way the bosses told us to do it to "save time". It WAS a mite dangerous as you were reaching around the 208V alternator with the shrouding removed, and the main terminals were right on top.

Bigiron
Bigiron is offline Find More Posts by Bigiron
Last edited by Bigiron; Mar 25, 2012 at 11:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 25, 2012, 02:05 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
24,888 Posts
As an electrician, I worked with 207 volts 60 cycle quite a lot...and got hit by it one or twice...I can tell you that it would "rattle your bones" at 400 cycles, I would bet that would "not" be fun at all!!

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:15 PM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,286 Posts
The C124 had both DC and AC generators. Loss of a DC generator was no problem. We just pulled the approprate circuit breaker. Loss of an AC generator required shutting down the engine unless needed for safe flight. Fire hazard.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA