HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2012, 06:20 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,678 Posts
Speaking of shutting down jet engines....

There is a story from the Viet Nam war era of a Phantom pilot flying up along side a B-52, then doing a few barrel rolls and other maneuvers, then challenging the B-52 pilot to do something he couldn't.... The B-52 pilot says.. Okay!!... The fly along for a bit, but nothing seems to happen. and the Phantom pilot asks.... Are you going to do something?? The B-52 Pilot says... I did!! The Phantom pilot asks...WHAT??? The B-52 pilot says... I shut down two engines!!!

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2012, 07:39 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
Naw he said he got up and went to the bathroom.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Jan 31, 2012, 07:45 PM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
An SE5a pulled up next to a Zeppelin...
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Old Jan 31, 2012, 07:50 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathermerchant View Post
There's that too

Quote:
Originally Posted by olthump View Post
An SE5a pulled up next to a Zeppelin...
And that works too...

Or an F-86 flew up by a B-36.... etc., etc., etc....

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:58 PM
South Carolina
Joined May 2003
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathermerchant View Post
And poured himself a cup of coffee on the way back to the cockpit.....
Dogsbd is offline Find More Posts by Dogsbd
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:23 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,405 Posts
With cream. And sugar.

And drank it.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Feb 01, 2012, 08:29 AM
Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
The EII was a racer from Fredrick McFloppinshaft, he was the designer of the Emmaselle in 1919, so in 1924 he designed the Emmaselle II for the air-race circuit......

DAG
I was wondering about the balsa shortage in Indiana...
WOW she looks AWESOME!
Mike-A is offline Find More Posts by Mike-A
Old Feb 01, 2012, 01:13 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-A View Post
I was wondering about the balsa shortage in Indiana...
WOW she looks AWESOME!
There has been a rumor that Dag has a semi load of balsa delivered to a secret location close to his home which is temperature and humidity controled. What Dag needs for the weekend is transported via his trailer for the B-36 to his house and no one other than Dag knows where this is located.

Of course this is just a rumor, unsubstanciated of course, but some conspiricy theorists believe it to be true.

This project will be awesome when finished. Going to be a treat to the the culumination of all this work. What patience Dag has.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Feb 01, 2012, 04:50 PM
Hit Me! Please!
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,974 Posts
Ran across this photo of one of Dag's crew taking a break. I guess this is what they do when he's not in the shop.
jwjohnson is offline Find More Posts by jwjohnson
Old Feb 01, 2012, 10:46 PM
Joined May 2004
1,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conehead View Post
There has been a rumor that Dag has a semi load of balsa delivered to a secret location close to his home which is temperature and humidity controled. What Dag needs for the weekend is transported via his trailer for the B-36 to his house and no one other than Dag knows where this is located.

Of course this is just a rumor, unsubstanciated of course, but some conspiricy theorists believe it to be true.

This project will be awesome when finished. Going to be a treat to the the culumination of all this work. What patience Dag has.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
That rumor has some substantial fact to it!
I believe Dag's balsa stash area is known as "Area Hoosier 2" and mine is known as "Area Hoosier 1" since I bought out a regional hobby shop distributor's supply of balsa sometime back and I think Dag may have done something similar!

The distributor was a friend of mine who lost his life in an ultralight aircraft accident
His widow who was moving out of state wanted all the inventory in his storage building and office ( a 40 by 50 foot building) liquidated the very day myself and a buddy arrived to look at it.
All I will say it was a LOT of wood, engines and kits, plus various other supplies.
The price is still a secret, and some of it was sold off to various friends and some went on Ebay, the rest is not for sale!
But we filled the 8 foot beds of two Ford pickups with caps four times each, or eight loads
She herself owned an insurance company and was independently wealthy and literally gave it all to us for a song.
She didn't want to mess with an auction or a dragged out sale of people coming and going.
The only problem we had was working around the moving van loading her household goods setting in front of the building.
But Area Hoosier 1 exists at an undisclosed location.
Area Hoosier 1 in the 1970's housed high speed fiberglass Vietnam river gunboats in it as they were being built
Built and funded by the US Navy, it was later bought by my Uncle who made the boats.
It sports a concrete floor 40 feet wide, 100 feet long and 54 inches thick!
Rerod is made from discarded steel railroad rails in a grid pattern, with three three layers of rails. The 54 inch concrete floor goes down beyond the frost level, so it draws heat out of the ground in the winter to help heat the building and keeps it cool in the summer.
The roof trusses are made from solid cherry wood on 20 inch spacing!
The wood was left over from another Navy project utilizing several types of special woods
Equipped with an 80 gallon compressor, 71 foot deep well for water, 120 and 220 power,an overhead on an I beam 1/2 ton moveable electric hoist and a 28 foot long by 20 foot wide by 8 foot high professional spray paint booth
It also houses a couple classic cars and an antique full scale airplane nowadays.

The nice part is, our LHS never has any kind of a decent supply of balsa anyway, and never has or probably ever will, so when I need some, I just go to my secret area and get what I need and sometimes cut what I need
Also saves a 20 mile drive each way to the LHS if you can even call it a decent hobby shop anymore.
ErcoupeEd is offline Find More Posts by ErcoupeEd
Last edited by ErcoupeEd; Feb 01, 2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2012, 11:38 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,678 Posts

never mind
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:48 AM
What...me worry?
United States, WI, Edgar
Joined Sep 2002
790 Posts
Post?...What post?!!
bluswede is offline Find More Posts by bluswede
Last edited by bluswede; Feb 02, 2012 at 04:34 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 06:46 AM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
824 Posts
Pics or it didn't happen!

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErcoupeEd View Post
The nice part is, our LHS never has any kind of a decent supply of balsa anyway, and never has or probably ever will, so when I need some, I just go to my secret area and get what I need and sometimes cut what I need
Also saves a 20 mile drive each way to the LHS if you can even call it a decent hobby shop anymore.
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old Feb 02, 2012, 05:48 PM
Joined May 2004
1,490 Posts
Seeing is believing!
Area Hoosier 1 in first picture
See all those boxes on the left against the wall. Just part of our wood stash
Each box has an assortment of wood in it, 1/16 x 3 x48, 1/16x4 x48
3/32, 3/16, 1/4 , 5/8, 3/4, and 1 inch
The other boxes had some engines( mostly Fox 19s to Fox 90's.) some fuel and various hadware( engine mounts), etc in them.
In the back of the building are racks with 4x4 x36 and 4x4 x48, all contest grade wood, most of it came from Midwest, some from Sig
The Ercoupe is one of my airplanes. Also had JN4 Jenny in the shop for awhile, most recent one was a J3 Cub came in for a paint job.
Last picture is of the paint booth as it was being built. Has explosion proof fan with dual large ducts on both front sides, the square hole at the center top is where we mounted te fan, and is ducted out the backside of the shop
Booth is 28 feet long, 20 feet wide, 8 feet high with a rear swinging door that opens to allow large items in the booth
Next project to be built will be a full scale LSA homebuilt
There is a full scale P-26 awaiting a paint job, then my Ercoupe
The front overhead door I replaced with a newer insulated one, I run the furnace ( 2nd picture,, top center of picture) for 30 minutes and shut it off and it will stay warm all day
inside during winter months as the 4 1/2 foot thick concrete floor draws heat out of the ground down below the frost level, the ground stays quite warm.

Hey Dag, if you need some more shop space, get in touch!
ErcoupeEd is offline Find More Posts by ErcoupeEd
Last edited by ErcoupeEd; Feb 02, 2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 07:12 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
824 Posts
You might be able to build a couple planes with that

Bet you could build a few planes out of each box. If you wake up one morning and it's all gone except a thank you note from santa don't come looking for me I'll be building a bunch of planes

Robert
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting