HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:36 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
Thanks for the info, I had visions of a wobble and slapping one of the pods on the runway on landing and having it get shredded and throwing parts everywhere. Rock (not too much on landings) On! Dag.
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:04 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
How cool is this...............

www.carvewright.com

DAG
Too cool.

I simply gotta win the lottery

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:08 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:
Ok, so I am getting my first chance for lunch today and showed a buddy some pictures of my "TEAM" he said I had to post these. So the truth is out, I do have a TEAM helping me.....

DAG
They must be brothers . .

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Dec 22, 2011, 04:02 PM
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
1,614 Posts
Quote:
You get me 10-12 good pictures of the nacelles with the gear placement and I can modify this pod design to be every close. Then I would just build it up and sheet it. The only reason I went with glass was strength if I hit one of these on the ground, and repeatability, as if I do hit one on the ground and smash it to pieces I can make another fairly easy.....

Thanks, DAG
Thanks for the offer. I'll try to find the needed images but it may not be easy. The plane turned out to be a one-off when no orders came in for it in spite of United and American Airlines getting lots of demonstrations, especially when the original order from Trans-Canada Airlines (now Air Canada, or Air Clumsy......) was cancelled.

I've got the book and a contact out in Calgary that may be able to get me some informatin, plus I'll try the National Aviation Museum who somehow "managed" to get the nose section when the plane was broken up.
byrocat is offline Find More Posts by byrocat
Old Dec 22, 2011, 04:41 PM
So Calif
Joined Mar 2009
121 Posts
Speaking of wobble and slapping a pod on the runway, I know a 1:1 B-52 wing tip has a 5foot wing flex differential between at rest and in flight, hence the need for the sponsons. Have you determined how much wing tip flex there will be?
Propnuts is offline Find More Posts by Propnuts
Old Dec 22, 2011, 04:49 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propnuts View Post
Speaking of wobble and slapping a pod on the runway, I know a 1:1 B-52 wing tip has a 5foot wing flex differential between at rest and in flight, hence the need for the sponsons. Have you determined how much wing tip flex there will be?
The full-scale B-36 had less than 3 degrees from the outboard nacelles out to the tip. In the testing of my wing 1.0 with 105 pounds(my son setting on it) I feel I will have very little (1-3 degrees). The wing has such a thick airfoil (not for strength on the full-scale but as to have room for fuel) that it is extremely strong.

We shall see though, I would be lying to say I am not think about deflection every time I hold a 32 ounce jet pod in my hand and see that huge moment they will be hanging on....

Thanks, DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Old Dec 22, 2011, 05:05 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,157 Posts
Sooooooo do you think the 36 will be ready for SEFF 2012? Jack and I can save you a spot next to ours to set up like you did before. Come to think of it, you'll probably need both of our generators and all our chargers to get all those batteries topped off .
Mike McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Dec 22, 2011, 06:13 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post
Sooooooo do you think the 36 will be ready for SEFF 2012? Jack and I can save you a spot next to ours to set up like you did before. Come to think of it, you'll probably need both of our generators and all our chargers to get all those batteries topped off .
Mike McD
I do not want to Jinks myself, but that is a target I have in mind, but I have to get her thru all the testing I want to do, then I have to find a new AMA inspector to sign her off....... My past inspector got tired of some politics and quit.......

Thanks, DAG
Old Dec 22, 2011, 07:34 PM
Semi-world famous!
USA, TX, GRAND PRAIRIE
Joined Oct 2003
1,015 Posts
Damon, I happen to know the IMAA over weight inspector, his name is Charlie Spencer. pm me if you want his contact info. he lives in Oklahoma city. I am sure he would love to do the inspection for the 36.
Click the Pirate is offline Find More Posts by Click the Pirate
Old Dec 22, 2011, 07:40 PM
Joined Dec 2009
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Click the Pirate View Post
Damon, I happen to know the IMAA over weight inspector, his name is Charlie Spencer. pm me if you want his contact info. he lives in Oklahoma city. I am sure he would love to do the inspection for the 36.
What is required for AMA inspection?
Wasteland is offline Find More Posts by Wasteland
Old Dec 22, 2011, 07:53 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasteland View Post
For 55-75 pounds the builder can inspect it, then needs to do 3 proving flights for a AMA over 55 pounds inspector.

Over 75, but under 125 the AMA inspector inspects my plane, design, controls, control surfaces, CG, weight, there is a list of stuff. Then I do 3 proving flights and I am set for a year.....

Thanks, DAG
Old Dec 22, 2011, 07:54 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Click the Pirate View Post
I may take you up on it, if you get a chance you might ask him to browse thru this thread so he knows and understands my design and build techniques...

Thanks a ton....

DAG
Old Dec 22, 2011, 08:26 PM
Put a bigger motor on it!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasteland View Post
If you want to see everything that is required, check out AMA's Doc# 520 A, B and C at this link.

I think getting an N-number assigned takes just as much work
gtfreeflyer is offline Find More Posts by gtfreeflyer
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:19 PM
Joined Dec 2009
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfreeflyer View Post
If you want to see everything that is required, check out AMA's Doc# 520 A, B and C at this link.

I think getting an N-number assigned takes just as much work
Dag, Gtfreeflyer,

Thanks for the info and link. Very involved process.
Wasteland is offline Find More Posts by Wasteland
Old Dec 23, 2011, 01:44 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
[QUOTE=Then I do 3 proving flights and I am set for a year.....

Thanks, DAG[/QUOTE] What happens after a year? they set up the hoops and you get to jump through them again? Or is that just because normal wear and tear on model aircraft (bad landings, transportation, hangar rash)?
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008