HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2009, 08:28 PM
I havent decided yet
Indiana
Joined Jun 2006
2,120 Posts
Ed, what is the story on the Kolb ultralite? something you would be interested iin getting rid of?
Damon, you probably do in fact need to quit your job so you can put more time into this project. Did you realize that if the H-Stab of your plane were the main wing of a plane that would take about 400watts of power to fly..... the stab is larger than most of the planes that the rest of us fly.
dmiller746 is offline Find More Posts by dmiller746
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2009, 09:59 PM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas
Joined Apr 2006
1,589 Posts
Dag, the 90 mm Fan may be a little tight..

Here is a 64 mm Fan also if you think it would work.
http://www.rc-warbirds.com/product_i...roducts_id/732
He is on the other side of the world but I have ordered from him before and there is no worries ..lol lol lol...

Seeya, Tim
Tim Farrar is offline Find More Posts by Tim Farrar
Old Jan 17, 2009, 10:08 PM
Vintage Flyer
Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller746
Ed, what is the story on the Kolb ultralite? something you would be interested iin getting rid of?
Damon, you probably do in fact need to quit your job so you can put more time into this project. Did you realize that if the H-Stab of your plane were the main wing of a plane that would take about 400watts of power to fly..... the stab is larger than most of the planes that the rest of us fly.
dmiller746,
Actually I want to get rid of the Kolb, but it is not airworthy. It's basically junk.My buddy brought it over to salvage the engine and a few parts.
It was destroyed in a fatal accident.
The airplane was stalled, the pilot was not wearing a seat belt, and the plane rolled inverted at about 100 feet, he fell out and plunged to the ground and lived, but died two weeks later.
The airplane hit right side up about 300 feet from him, was torn up, but the engine survived.

My buddy promised to remove it as soon as the salvage job was done, but it's still in the building. It's his money that he's going to have to spend to have scrap outfit come out and pick it up.
Ercoupe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Ercoupe Ed
Old Jan 17, 2009, 11:51 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,240 Posts
Hi Dag...

Well....San Fran is only 65 mile north or me....bring something electric to fly.. I fly at a great park. In Fact if you have Realflight, you can download "Baylands park" (which is where I fly) from Knifeedge.com, and check it out.

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 18, 2009, 08:22 AM
Malta
Joined Nov 2003
21 Posts
Hi Dag
I happened to see your thread ..... and read right through it, each post and each photo. What you are doing is incredible. I have to go to my doctor to fix my jaw ... it has been hanging open so wide for so long
Just one question. Do you design 2D or 3D in ACAD before continuing in 3DStudio?
Keep up the excellent work.
Thanks
Tony
atmamo is offline Find More Posts by atmamo
Old Jan 18, 2009, 08:58 AM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmamo
Hi Dag
I happened to see your thread ..... and read right through it, each post and each photo. What you are doing is incredible. I have to go to my doctor to fix my jaw ... it has been hanging open so wide for so long
Just one question. Do you design 2D or 3D in ACAD before continuing in 3DStudio?
Keep up the excellent work.
Thanks
Tony
I scaled everything from all the drawings I have collected. Then I started drawing components (wings, stabs, fuse section) in 3d max, then once I knew everything fit I exported to CAD 2000. While I was searching for drawings I noticed that almost all have lost their original scaling while being copied of saved to other formats, there is drawings floating around that say they are Convair drawings that are really out of scale. My plane is about 95% correct n scale, but most of that was from scaling from the posted measurements that are on different drawings not drawing over the imported drawings.

Thanks, DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Old Jan 18, 2009, 09:01 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,017 Posts
Here is what I got done last night.

DAG
Old Jan 18, 2009, 09:58 AM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,587 Posts
Don't you think that the high pitched whiny sound of a smaller EDF could kill the sound appeal of the aircraft? It will lose its scale like sound that you have with the big props.

I was going to suggest the Stumax fan, because it sounds sooo awesome. But it ain't cheap (~700 bucks with motor), and its too big to fit in your pods (110mm i believe).
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:06 AM
Balsa for me, thanks.
Yalova, Turkey
Joined May 2007
835 Posts
Hey Dag,

The mention of sound got me to thinking about an old post I saw. Didn't find the post but found the link to the website: http://www.aerosoundrc.com/

I don't know if you know about this or not, but I thought it was pretty cool and maybe an answer to the noise dilemma.

~Jake
irish_lord99 is offline Find More Posts by irish_lord99
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:14 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,058 Posts
Hey Dag. Looking good!

I was wondering if you missed Post 913. I mentioned that the jets were rarely used, and the inlets were usually covered with collapsible metal "petals", along with a photo of the closed pods. A much simpler solution than going with edfs. What's your thoughts?
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:29 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo
Hey Dag. Looking good!

I was wondering if you missed Post 913. I mentioned that the jets were rarely used, and the inlets were usually covered with collapsible metal "petals", along with a photo of the closed pods. A much simpler solution than going with edfs. What's your thoughts?
I agree with you about 85%. They were only used for take off and to out run the nuke as it fell away.

I am way over powered and don't need the shutters over the intakes, I might just make fake turbine blades and let them spin. The only thing that makes me think about the EDf's is the cool thing about having all 10 power plants working, but the show stopper my be CG, the fans set behind the CG and I will not add anymore weight that has to be off set with ballast. If the tail ends up lighter and I could trade off the weight for EDF I might do that.

Just my thoughts.

DAG
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:31 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_lord99
Hey Dag,

The mention of sound got me to thinking about an old post I saw. Didn't find the post but found the link to the website: http://www.aerosoundrc.com/

I don't know if you know about this or not, but I thought it was pretty cool and maybe an answer to the noise dilemma.

~Jake
Back earlier we spoke about sound systems, I am putting in place what might support a sound system, but weight may kill the idea.

Thanks, DAG
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:38 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,095 Posts
I'll bet the pusher props will make a sound like six Zagis flying in formation, the whistling EDF's would add some interest too. Should be a real crowd pleaser at model airshows. I used to hear B-36's fly over in Milwaukee on their way from Minnesota
( based at "Bemidge" I think). They were so high you could just make out a tiny silver cross but you felt the sound in your chest.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jan 18, 2009, 12:04 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekid3418
Don't you think that the high pitched whiny sound of a smaller EDF could kill the sound appeal of the aircraft? It will lose its scale like sound that you have with the big props.

I was going to suggest the Stumax fan, because it sounds sooo awesome. But it ain't cheap (~700 bucks with motor), and its too big to fit in your pods (110mm i believe).
I actually like the idea of adding 4 x 90mm EDF units and using them on the ground for steering. You could hook up the throttle to the dual side levers on the 9303 radio and have assisted steering with your two index fingers. Likewise in the event something happened to one of the props and you had to bring all the engines down, you'd have 30 lbs of thrust available to help perform a decent landing...

Addded cost, about $2,250

Jack
jfetter is online now Find More Posts by jfetter
Last edited by jfetter; Jan 18, 2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 12:34 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,587 Posts
That is very true jfetter. Although, would 30 lbs do much with this monster? Maybe it would help it "glide with style" instead of just gliding (taken from a classic movie ). Im sure you could get fans really cheap at HC. Or I've heard good things about the HET 9305. And i think they are pretty cheap at about 60 each.

If you were only going to use them for a little bit per flight, you could have small batteries. I would bet you could set up a motor fan and ESC from HC for 100 bucks per set. Batteries might only be 30 dollars per system, so thats 550-575 bucks after shipping. More then i would spend on an entire plane but a fairly small portion of your expenses
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418