HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:30 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneasle View Post
I hate to off topic this.. but it's guys like this that really don't help the rest of us when it comes time for the FAA to make new rules...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59ttSwYNspw

http://rcexplorer.se/files/ba11c31bb...af236-246.html
I don't want us on a big off-topic tangent again, but I think there is one comment worth making here.

Before everyone goes up in arms over "oh mah gawd the FAA is going to shut down modeling because of this one idiot"... The platform was designed by a company - Neural Robotics Incorporated. I would suspect it was designed as a project for either government defense or private sector. Either way, this is far from a "hobbyist" adventure.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/01/n...-12-gauge-sho/

Also, it was 5 years ago.

I will not add another comment regarding this topic to the thread. If it warrants further discussion, it should be given it's own thread.
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:01 PM
Germany, SH, Flensburg
Joined May 2005
146 Posts
Hi Dag,

i hope you find this information useful.
I see you did not started to build the pods yet.

The pods each face 2 outward together with the 2 dihedral of main wing. On pictures they seem to be normal vertically down, but that is just because of the wing bending. On in flight pictures it is clearly seen as well on rare pictures where the wing is supported to be unloaded for maintenence issues. (a photo chronicle, page 39) I have attached pictures for reference. The side view is as good as i was able to retrieve data.

bad ass plane dag

cheers, Toddi
Toddi is offline Find More Posts by Toddi
Old Feb 17, 2011, 03:55 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddi View Post
Hi Dag,

i hope you find this information useful.
I see you did not started to build the pods yet.

The pods each face 2 outward together with the 2 dihedral of main wing. On pictures they seem to be normal vertically down, but that is just because of the wing bending. On in flight pictures it is clearly seen as well on rare pictures where the wing is supported to be unloaded for maintenence issues. (a photo chronicle, page 39) I have attached pictures for reference. The side view is as good as i was able to retrieve data.

bad ass plane dag

cheers, Toddi
Thanks!
You have some of the best drawing info on the B-36. I have that info, but seeing it make sense now what it all means to how it looks in reference to the wing.

Thanks a 120%.

DAG
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214
Old Feb 17, 2011, 04:24 PM
War Eagle!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2006
2,848 Posts
Hmm.. so they were a total of 4 degrees of axis? I wonder why they did that.
sneasle is offline Find More Posts by sneasle
Old Feb 17, 2011, 06:39 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,990 Posts
Quote:
Hmm.. so they were a total of 4 degrees of axis? I wonder why they did that.
They are tilted down 2 degrees as when the B36 was at altitude and flying with about a 2-4 degree up angle of attach from the thin air, this helped keep the air coming in straight to the jets. Look at the + incidence of the wing to keep the fuse as close as possible to zero when at altitude.

Thanks, DAG
Old Feb 17, 2011, 06:45 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,990 Posts
Kosovo Hakifi, builds an airplane (1 min 39 sec)

Can someone tell me if this guy really thinks this is going to fly, this is aviation related and not to far off topic, but this plane has no airfoil on the wing??

Someone e-mailed this to me saying this guy is really going to fly this?????

Thanks, DAG
Old Feb 17, 2011, 07:04 PM
Near Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2008
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VlLewDD8xM

Can someone tell me if this guy really thinks this is going to fly, this is aviation related and not to far off topic, but this plane has no airfoil on the wing??

Thanks, DAG
Good luck, we are counting on you.....................
Parkk is offline Find More Posts by Parkk
Old Feb 17, 2011, 07:09 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,678 Posts
Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VlLewDD8xM

Thanks, DAG
from what I can see if he got that propeller spinning fast enough to give any thrust it would shake itself to pieces with-in a few minutes....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Feb 17, 2011, 07:10 PM
ParkScaleModels
United States, PA, Loganville
Joined Feb 2002
4,187 Posts
if someone can make a plane fly with a ceiling fan for a motor and wings that small, I suppose anything is possible at that point. Looks like the (non) Flying Farmer to me.
zbrubaker is online now Find More Posts by zbrubaker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shop remodeling continues...
Old Feb 17, 2011, 07:21 PM
USA, IN, Hobart
Joined Jan 2002
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrubaker View Post
if someone can make a plane fly with a ceiling fan for a motor and wings that small, I suppose anything is possible at that point. Looks like the (non) Flying Farmer to me.

Propeller? That looks like a ceiling fan!
bolar is offline Find More Posts by bolar
Old Feb 17, 2011, 08:28 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
1,896 Posts
Quote:
They are tilted down 2 degrees as when the B36 was at altitude and flying with about a 2-4 degree up angle of attach from the thin air, this helped keep the air coming in straight to the jets...
Interesting... When I worked on B-52D models in TX I don't remember them having any tilt on the engines, but I never looked that close. I remember them flying around near the base they seemed to have a bit of a nose-down angle.
I have noticed MD80s however; they seem to have a unique angle on the engines, that probably has something to do with them being in the rear of the aircraft...
ruff1 is online now Find More Posts by ruff1
Last edited by ruff1; Feb 17, 2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:41 PM
War Eagle!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2006
2,848 Posts
Quote:
They are tilted down 2 degrees as when the B36 was at altitude and flying with about a 2-4 degree up angle of attach from the thin air, this helped keep the air coming in straight to the jets. Look at the + incidence of the wing to keep the fuse as close as possible to zero when at altitude.

Thanks, DAG

Oh, no, I thought he meant they (as in, the strut itself) were tilted to the side 2 degrees.
sneasle is offline Find More Posts by sneasle
Old Feb 18, 2011, 02:09 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,547 Posts
[QUOTE=dag214;17438439Can someone tell me if this guy really thinks this is going to fly?????

Thanks, DAG[/QUOTE]

Not wanting to continue derailing (apologies for when I've done it before), but in response to you question:

That strikes me more like a "get me on the telly" ploy. I think this guy is more serious (maybe foolhardy!).... but you have to admire his passion!

Aircraft Maker to Make A Test Run (2 min 31 sec)

Aircraft Testing (3 min 28 sec)
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Feb 18, 2011, 06:09 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,990 Posts
Quote:
Oh, no, I thought he meant they (as in, the strut itself) were tilted to the side 2 degrees.
They are also tilted out also (looking at the front the swung out 2 degrees). This was from what I understand more of a mechanical reason as the jets were the same as used on the B-47. When fitted to the wing the attachment points worked out that way, the stiffing strut was not added until testing showed the motor swayed while at full power on the ground roll.

Thanks!
DAG
Old Feb 18, 2011, 06:14 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
Not wanting to continue derailing (apologies for when I've done it before), but in response to you question:

That strikes me more like a "get me on the telly" ploy. I think this guy is more serious (maybe foolhardy!).... but you have to admire his passion!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujU1D...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-_ds...eature=related
Thanks mate!
I just can't help to think how their love for aviation may be their ticket to the graveyard.

Very cool stuff.

Cheers!
DAG